X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meb46
    • Jul 2010

Another impressive Design from Troels

And yet another impressive design from Troels... and I wont even start on the exceptional woodworking skills!

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-5.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ill-5-1-large.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	944449

Anyone considering building these? Would love to hear first listening impressions! The one thing Troels doesn't share
    Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:03 Friday. Reason: Update image location
  • tktran
    • Jan 2005

I have the greatest respect for Troels, and have been following his website for over a decade.

But for the life of me, I can't fathom his designs decisions and what's driving them. They are getting bigger and bigger and more complex. I mean, a 5 way 10/8/7/4/1" vented box with a 5 way passive crossover??

Why not go for broke and have a 15/12/10/8/7/5/3/0.75" 8 way?

Its gotta be better...

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by meb46
      And yet another impressive design from Troels... and I wont even start on the exceptional woodworking skills!

Anyone considering building these? Would love to hear first listening impressions! The one thing Troels doesn't share
      The guy does make it look easy doesn't he ...... Lots of practice me thinks.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

Love the 5-way thing but why on earth go for a so advanced (ugly 8O ?) box that only a handful of people will be able to build?

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

But for the life of me, I can't fathom his designs decisions and what's driving them. They are getting bigger and bigger and more complex. I mean, a 5 way 10/8/7/4/1" vented box with a 5 way passive crossover??
          He does claim that he get a better sound transition, is able to use the elements in there comfort area as well as is getting a lot more clean dbl out of this design - so he seems to be doing it because he think it gives a better result.
          But you have to wonder if he get's some provisons from scan-speak - a LOT of drivers in that big boy

Love the 5-way thing but why on earth go for a so advanced (ugly ?) box that only a handful of people will be able to build?
          I suspect he is inspiered by Wilson Maxx

Name:	wilson_maxx3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	944450

When you look at the hardwood edges, the rounded top and so on I think I have made much of it to make it look good.
          Not the type of looks I prefer dough... Seems to be quite an advanced build as well.

I think Jon made something with a similar type of design one time back in the good old days. BIG speaker.
          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:04 Friday. Reason: Update image location
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

Using two different sized woofers is absolutely silly. And IMO, a facetted cabinet would be much more aesthetically pleasing.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

Lets not forget that Troels likes to appeal to the masses and I more get the impression the more audiophile orientated market rather than the more technically adept of us.

He is simply trying to copy the aesthetic and design ideas that Wilson follow and he's done this a couple of times in the past too. A good idea for impressing people, but certainly not for design replication.

I really do enjoy his website but I often question his design ideas on a technical front. Occasionally he'll get it right though.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Interesting design. Doubt I would ever build it. I would love to hear it.

Did Troels seriously use NPE caps in the woofer?

Name:	ill-5-Bb-1000-clsoed.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	944451

I've done it. Nothing wrong with it. Just didn't expect it from him.
                Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:05 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

1000uf+ worth of film caps would take up a considerable amount of real estate.
                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• dar47
                    • Nov 2008

This one was after "the Next", so Next Next. The next one should have a 12", 10" 8" mid, 5" mid, tweet and finally a super tweet, haha.

What's with the funky wedges under the mid and tweet. The tweet is set back from that front sharp lip, is this adjustable front and back for tuning. Whats with that tweet choice you have room for a normal one in the lineup. I don't know some parts of this cab design are complicated and fit well together other parts looks like an after thought, not sure especially at this price point. I've built his super mini's which are great but I think he losing it or running out of ideas some where after the Janzen / Ellam builds. Also seams tentative to go bigger and get a real base section with these almost monsters and I agree whats with the 2 different base drivers. Maybe Scan said "close your eyes I have something for you, your next mish mash that no one else would try",Haha.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by tktran
                      I have the greatest respect for Troels, and have been following his website for over a decade.

Why not go for broke and have a 15/12/10/8/7/5/3/0.75" 8 way?

Its gotta be better...
                      That will be next....

I mean, I bet you never thought you'd see production street cars with 9 speed transmissions, either. But they're here.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
                        Interesting design. Doubt I would ever build it. I would love to hear it.

Did Troels seriously use NPE caps in the woofer?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ill-5-Bb-1000-clsoed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	944451

I've done it. Nothing wrong with it. Just didn't expect it from him.

Wow... most of those crossover parts make my skin crawl.... mind you, I've bought and tested them, and even used them in the case of the C-core. I can see using an NPE in an impedance control network where it's not really part of the signal path, and where the ESR is a small part of the total net series resistance. (doing that in the Isiris Monitor Model One). It's all about trying to make the right trade-offs cost wise. The bobbin inductors are not too cool, though...
                        Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:06 Friday. Reason: Update quote
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Well, gee, guys, I think Troels has been spending too much time in the vicinity of the Wilson Audio factory! :W

One of the things about having a super adjustable design that concerns me is that they're are many ways to get it wrong, and really only one way to get it right- of course, that is being a bit narrow minded about where the listening position should be, and I suppose this gives flexibility for adjusting so many drivers to get it optimized at one point.

I do applaud the 12MU choice - I really like the 7" illuminators, but they don't match up well with very many tweeter setups- they require a low and steep crossover to attempt that. (particularly the aluminum one I prefer).

I don't have time to look this over carefully today, or maybe even this month, but I will at some time. OTOH, I can't help but think that Steve Manning has a better idea if one wants to "go Wilson".... one we're kicking around.

This might be called the Isiris Monitor Model Two. The floor stander, with the C18EN001, and dual SDX10's wired in series, with SS PR's galore... (you know, some's good, more is better, and too much is just enough?

Name:	mad%20max%205_zpseh47h1m3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	944452

No adjustability per se for aligning two midranges and a tweeter... none needed.

Steve might even offer it in colors other than racing red, too! :W :B But that's his choice- he's the one with the mad chops in Sketchup!

This cabinet is setup (if I recall correctly) for the QB3 style alignment with 2 PR's per SDX10. Working response in room down to 25 Hz, with just a titch of boundary reinforcement.

Image not available
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:06 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                            • Jan 2008

Well, If both Jon and Troels like the SS 12Mu then I guess I can live with it in my Ardents. LOL
                            Ron

Yeah, I agree that's not a very "eye candy" design. Much prefer the Osiris style.
                            Ron
                            Ardent TS

Comment

• sdl2112
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                              Well, gee, guys, I think Troels has been spending too much time in the vicinity of the Wilson Audio factory! :W

One of the things about having a super adjustable design that concerns me is that they're are many ways to get it wrong, and really only one way to get it right- of course, that is being a bit narrow minded about where the listening position should be, and I suppose this gives flexibility for adjusting so many drivers to get it optimized at one point.

I do applaud the 12MU choice - I really like the 7" illuminators, but they don't match up well with very many tweeter setups- they require a low and steep crossover to attempt that. (particularly the aluminum one I prefer).

I don't have time to look this over carefully today, or maybe even this month, but I will at some time. OTOH, I can't help but think that Steve Manning has a better idea if one wants to "go Wilson".... one we're kicking around.

This might be called the Isiris Monitor Model Two. The floor stander, with the C18EN001, and dual SDX10's wired in series, with SS PR's galore... (you know, some's good, more is better, and too much is just enough?

Click image for larger version  Name:	mad%20max%205_zpseh47h1m3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	944452

No adjustability per se for aligning two midranges and a tweeter... none needed.

Steve might even offer it in colors other than racing red, too! :W :B But that's his choice- he's the one with the mad chops in Sketchup!

This cabinet is setup (if I recall correctly) for the QB3 style alignment with 2 PR's per SDX10. Working response in room down to 25 Hz, with just a titch of boundary reinforcement.

Image not available

Another great design concept! I hope this come to fruition.

I think Troels is working on a design with the C18EN001 also so it should be interesting what he comes up with.

I too have ideas for the C18...but I need to finish my current project...this stuff is addictive :B
                              Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:07 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"