X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahaik
    • Feb 2007

ahaik's TriTrix MT Build Thread.

Since last summer my wife has been suggesting that I build speakers for our porch.
    I was looking for a low budget build and since I had the Dayton Silk tweeters laying around from and older project the TriTrix MT was a perfect match.
    This was a fun father son project with my 10 year old that loves music.
    The build is quite simple, here are a few shots of the cabinets:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.21.08 001_Small.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	869198

Name:	4.21.08 002_small.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	869199

Name:	4.21.08 003_small.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	869200

Name:	4.21.08 004_small.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	869201
    Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 17:46 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
  • ahaik
    • Feb 2007

Pictures of the baffle and crossover:

Name:	4.21.08 008_small.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	850340

Name:	4.21.08 009_small.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	850341

Name:	4.21.08 006_small.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	850342
    Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 17:47 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• David_D
      • Feb 2008

Hi Ahaik
      The build is looking really good. I bet you'll be listening to the tonight.
      I looks like a nice day in Lawn Guyland.(Bad Soprano's Ref)
      -David
      -David

As we try and consider
      We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• ahaik
        • Feb 2007

When we finished the construction we took the speakers to the basement for a first listening impressions.
        It is a pretty large room for such small speakers (23' Wide and 35' long) and they where lucking bass response.
        Later on at night I took them to my brothers house, his listening room is approximately 18.5' x 18.5' more suitable for testing such small speakers.
        I remember Jim Holtz saying that the TriTrix series sound much better then they have the right to, How true. We did not expect them to sound so good.
        very smooth, great imaging and sound stage, bass response was so good for their size that I had to check and make sure the sub wasn't on :lol:
        They simply fill the whole room. While they don't sound as good as my brothers Modula MTM (In the picture) , they certainly hold their own.
        In a mid/small room used for music I wouldn't find it necessary to use a sub.

NOTE: In the pictures left and right channels are accidentally swapped.

We still need to decide on the finish, I would like to veneer them since I find it easier then painting, just not sure if it will hold up outdoors.
        They will not have direct sunlight or rain and would either be covered or taken in during the winter.
        Once I know which finish we will be applying we will either round the baffle edges or bevel them.

I would like to thank Curt for sharing with us this terrific design and for his prompt help ;x(

Name:	IMG_5545.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	850343

Name:	IMG_5546.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	850344

Name:	IMG_5547.jpeg
Views:	472
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	850345

Name:	IMG_5548.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	850346

Name:	IMG_5549.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	850347
        Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 17:47 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ahaik
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by David_D
          Hi Ahaik
          The build is looking really good. I bet you'll be listening to the tonight.
          I looks like a nice day in Lawn Guyland.(Bad Soprano's Ref)
          -David
          Thank you David
          Unfortunately I don't watch the Sopranos :lol:
          I must say, your woodworking skill are amazing and I can't wait to see your 'Statements' build.
          You certainly chose a great design and you will not be disappointed, I guarantee :T
          We are Very lucky to have people like Thomas, Jim, Curt, Jon, CJD and many more around that are practically here 24/7 to help us and patiently answer all of our newbees questions.

Asi.

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ahaik
            We still need to decide on the finish, I would like to veneer them since I find it easier then painting, just not sure if it will hold up outdoors.
            They will not have direct sunlight or rain and would either be covered or taken in during the winter.
            Once I know which finish we will be applying we will either round the baffle edges or bevel them.
            Thank you for the kind words Asi,

I’m glad to see you found the TriTrix a worthwhile endeavor. The Dayton classic drivers are probably some of the best bang for the buck drivers currently available. For one of my designs to be mentioned in the same sentence as a JonMarsh design, let alone compared favorably, is high praise indeed.
            Makes me want to celebtrate!
            arty:

For outside use, I’d think paint will stand up better than a veneer would, as MDF is very hygroscopic. I called my good friend Wayne, the woodworking guru, and he suggested using a good oil based exterior primer inside and out, and painting it with exterior paint. You could also use a lacquer wood primer, or coat it with thinned out epoxy to seal it, then build up multiple layers of lacquer This could be rubbed out to a gloss finish suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

Prior to gluing the baffles I coated the inside of the speakers and the back of the baffles with wood seal shellac. I hope it will provide adequate protection.
              For the exterior veneer is out of the question then. I have to decide if I'm up to the gloss challenge. I tried it before as an experiment using latex paint and it didn't come out as shiny as the lacquer. If not then I will coat them with oil based exterior primer as you suggested and then spray it with exterior flat paint.
              Thank you for the advice,
              Asi.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"