X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimarchy
    • Dec 2008

Classe SSP600 v's Onkyo 906

Okay Guys... I am asking a loaded question on a Classe forum.... :lol:

The Classe is over 4 years old technology v's the Onkyo 906 which is about 1 year old. The Onkyo is loaded with the new formats while the Classe cannot compete on this side but you can route these direct using the Classe for volume only. However, the Classe can be used in 2 channel stereo mode for music also and I do think it is still a sexy beast, in fact very few things look as astheticaly good and there is no competition between the two.

My Question is... am I better trading down to the Onkyo with all the new bells and whistles or do I stick with the Classe? I have listed it on audiogon but am in half a mind if I am doing the right thing in selling!! Does the Onkyo sound comparable to the Classe?

Its guess it is like considering leaving Uma Thurman for a bit of fun with Paris Hilton.... I am sure I would enjoy pushing the buttons for a while on the new model but I would miss my Class(e) Bird in the end!!! You cant beat quality.... :W
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Ill Bite.

I went from a Rotel 1069 to a Classe SSP 600. I consider Rotel a better product brand then Onkyo, however, I will say i have not compared every model.

As you may have read in my "Rotel to Classe" post I found the SSP 600 to sound better (noticeably so) playing a full spec Lossy DTS/DD then the Rotel RSP 1069 receiving lossless via HDMI. Bells, whistles, and ability to decode lossless is certainly not everything when it comes to sitting and enjoy pure audio quality, and as a result now is a great time to pick up quality SSPs like the 600 that produce better audio quality for less then products being released by lower quality brands.

I would bet my heart and soul on the fact the Classe will sound better at absolutely everything then the Onkyo. Don't worry that the SSP 600 is 4 years old because the sound quality is not dated, and when compared to mainstream brands will never sound obsolete.

With all that said there is something to be said for connections and if you can make a non HDMI SSP work in your system. Think carefully, consider all inputs and sources and options. Use an HDMI switcher and map out your system before make a move.

Good luck and I hope to see you post pics of your new 600 soon :W

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
      • May 2008

Not a direct comparison, but I recently sold off my Bedroom AVR an Onkyo 875 for a Pioneer SC05...the Pioneer sounds better than the Onkyo...not dramatically different, but better (slightly more detail). I think the SSP600 would blow both of those away...bells & whistles are great, but sound quality trumps them. imho :^x
      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• begood
        • Oct 2005

I just went through a similar comparison. My previous prepro was a Fosgate FAP T1+. Earlier this year, I purchased an Onkyo 885P (same as Integra 9.8) in hopes of upgrading the sound quality. I was very disappointed by the Onkyo. The Fosgate beat in just about every sound category: soundstage, dynamic range, details, etc. Even with the Onkyo, accepting HD audio from my blueray player, it did beat the Fosgate accepting a 7.1 an along feed. The Audyssey feature in the Onkyo did produce a tighter and more controlled bass then the Fosgate, but the mids and highs were lacking. I returned the 885P and purchased a used Classe SSP-300. It easily outperformed the Fosgate and Onkyo.

Comment

• jimarchy
          • Dec 2008

Vancouver.... I am going to go with your comments. I am impressed with my SSP and have decided to take it home with me. You are right about sound quality, just need to find myself a place with no neighbours!! :roll:

I am not bothered about HMDI as it can be done direct from the source, just want to have the best quality sound with the kit I have.

Thanks Guys for all your comments. :T

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jimarchy
            Vancouver.... I am going to go with your comments. I am impressed with my SSP and have decided to take it home with me. You are right about sound quality, just need to find myself a place with no neighbours!! :roll:

I am not bothered about HMDI as it can be done direct from the source, just want to have the best quality sound with the kit I have.

Thanks Guys for all your comments. :T

Cool :T

Are you going to get an amp to match it ?

BTW I share walls with nieghbors, but thats one of the reason I love the 600 (and 5100 for that matter)...its sounds spectacular at any sound level.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"