X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fikszo
    • Apr 2008

Classe SSP-600 & SSP-300 in stereo

Hi, guys

I recently bought a Classe CA-3200 poweramp, and am now in the markte for interconnects and looking for a surround controller.
    Because the mix in stereo/surround is approx. 70/30% I need the best stereo sound possible for my surround setup.

I've read a lot of topics concerning the balanced in and outputs on the SSP-600, but my question is:"Is this proc worth the extra amount of money?"

And if so, is that to do with the possibiliy to connect with XLR instead of RCA (my pre and power will, not be more than 3 feet apart from each other)?

So is there really a noticeable difference in stereo sound with the SSP-600, or is it just the flexibility in connecting the items?

Thanks in advance for your advices..
    Classe Audio: CDP-202 I SSP-600 I CA-3200
    B&W: 803D Rosenut
    Pioneer PDP-LX5090
    Transparent: Musicwave Ultra MM / Musiclink Ultra MM
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I can't comment on the SSP-600 but in my opinion the SSP-300 sounds pretty good.
    -Joe

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

If you have a CDP that supports balanced, or plan on buying one, there is a substantial gain from the 2-channel bypass built into the SSP-600.

If you have no plans for or do not currently have a CDP that has balanced, don't get the 600, as you will never use the added feature and functionality.

With that being said, the by-pass built into the SSP-600 is on par with the 2 channel performance of the CP-500 and will be well worth the additional investment over the SSP-300.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by fikszo
        And if so, is that to do with the possibility to connect with XLR instead of RCA (my pre and power will, not be more than 3 feet apart from each other)?

So is there really a noticeable difference in stereo sound with the SSP-600, or is it just the flexibility in connecting the items?
        XLR is always better for connections less noise usually! Also for Stereo SSP-300 & SSP-600 are both the same. An upgrade would be the SSP-800!
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• fikszo
          • Apr 2008

I now have a Meridian G08 cdp and a Arcam DV-79 dvd, but am thinking about selling both and putting a CDP-300 in place.

So in that case I will probably use the XLR if I buy the SSP-600

In my current setup (meridian G08 cdp and G02 pre) I don't really notice differences between XLR and RCA, besides the fact that XLR plays louder, so on first hearing looks to sound better.

So was wondering if I should spend the extra money for the SSP-600.

But from what I read and hear, the SSP-600, connected with XLR, should give me some extra, compared to the SSP-300 in stereo 2 channel?
          Classe Audio: CDP-202 I SSP-600 I CA-3200
          B&W: 803D Rosenut
          Pioneer PDP-LX5090
          Transparent: Musicwave Ultra MM / Musiclink Ultra MM

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
            XLR is always better for connections less noise usually! Also for Stereo SSP-300 & SSP-600 are both the same. An upgrade would be the SSP-800!
            That is incorrect.

"The SSP-600 builds upon the versatile foundation of the SSP-300 by adding a second, linear power supply, and an additional analog circuit board, which includes a balanced two-channel preamplifier and 7.1 channels of balanced audio outputs. " (www.classeaudio.com)

You don't get the benefit of the 2 channel pre-amp without using balanced. IMO, I did not care to listen to 2 channel from the SSP-300.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Sorry I stand corrected, I am just waiting for the SSP-800 anyway
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Jeffk
                • Jan 2008

Sikoniko, that's very interesting. I'm searching for a good pre/pro for both HT and 2chnl music, and I thought the 300 was basically the same sonically. I believe so did one review I read, but I could be wrong. You actually heard the 300 vs the 600, and the 600 is noticeably better? Is the 300 still good in it's price range, in your opinion? I'm considering the Halo C2, Proceed AVP2, Theta Casablanca lll and the Cary Cinema 11 as it's competition. thanks...Jeff

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

here is a good thread for you to read:

The ssp-300 does not compare to the CP-500 in any way.

Comment

• Classe4me
                    • Dec 2007

SSP thoughts

Fikszo, Have you bought your pre/pre yet? I can't speak for you but I am always open to buying very gently used components as long as they are perfect and under warranty. With the impending introduction of the SSP-800 you will find some incredible bargains on both of the current SSPs. I thought I was in the market for the SSP-300 but at that time I was unable to find one on Audiogon (before the 800 was announced). I was able to buy a brand new in the box SSP-600 for about half of retail and was only a few hundred more than what I would have paid for the 300 at the time. I ended up going with balanced ICs and am glad I did.

Lately the 600s don't seem to be bringing hardly anything more than the 300s. If you do a lot of 2 channel listening and want or need the balanced interconnects then the 600 is the way to go, especially due to the fact that they are going dirt cheap right now.

This is a wonderful community and you will find some really stand up people here and on Audiogon as well.

Hopefully he won't mind me vouching for his expertise on Classe but James Dean, aka, RebelMan is what I would consider quite an authority on Classe equipment and can answer about any question you could possible have. He is a fountain of knowledge and has always been nothing but kind, helpful, and accommodating to me.

It also seems that Sikiniko is extremely knowledgeable on all things Classe as well. These guys know what they are talking about and won't steer you wrong in any way.

Take advantage of the bargains out there that are compliments of the Classe pioneers looking to reach audio and video nirvana by wanting the best that Classe has to offer.

I hope you don't resent my comments, just my 2 cents worth, and with the current economy would be worth about 1/4 of cent!

Good luck!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"