X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Classe' CP-500 vs SSP-600

I had a fortunate experience today. The local dealer not only had the Classe' CP-500 on hand, which I have heard before, they also had an SSP-600. This made for a good opportunity to put to rest a naging question I had on my mind. Does the SSP-600 give up anything to the CP-500 in the two-channel department?

It was the forth time in the last few months I have been able to critique the performance virtues of the CP-500, in the same location, in the same room and using same equipment and speakers. As a result I have a fairly good impression of the CP-500's capabilities. As some of you may know music and movies are equally important to me. As such I am looking for a AV upgrade combination that makes no sacrifices to either. My original upgrade plans, regarding Classe' equipment, included the SSP-600. However, not being able to hear the SSP-600 (until now) I wondered if its two-channel performance could deliver and if the price of admission would be worth it?

Using the same controlled approach that I have taken before, (everything the same except the pieces under evaluation), I was able to determine and conclude that the two-channel differences (if they exist) between the CP-500 and SSP-600 are not audible. The CP-500 and the SSP-600 sounded identical, when balanced connections were used. I didn't conduct single ended tests so I have no comment there. Needless to say, if you were sitting on the fence, like I was, you can rest assured knowing that the SSP-600 can deliver the goods for two-channel listeners that also like movies.

By the way, I also compared the Rotel RSX-1056 (which I currently own) in bypass mode to the SSP-600, also in bypass mode, and just as I discovered when I compared it to the CP-500 the improvements were immediately obvious and quite substantial (level adjustments included). The SSP-600 delivered a more expansive soundstage, more image resolution, more lower bass extension and more articulate upper bass. It also improved midrage and treble definition and the presentation was full bodied throughout the entire audible range, naturally and honestly. Simply put the SSP-600 was a joy to use and listen too.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

That ssp 600 sounds sweet..... my 300 is amazing. So, is that the direction you are going?
    Stew

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Hey Stew, I have three directions I am going in right now and I can't make up my mind on anyone of them.

1.) CDP-102, CP-500 and CA-2200 (Keep the Rotel RDV-1050 and RSX-1056 for movies.)
      2.) CDP-300, SSP 600 and CA-5200 (Sell off all of my Rotel equipment.)
      3.) CDP-202, CP-700 and CA-M400 x2 (Keep the Rotel RDV-1050 and RSX-1056 for movies.)

Each has its pro's and con's not to mention that I have other brands I am considering but not because I am not satisfied with the Classe' sound. I just want to be sure that it's the best sound for my money. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse and at this price level I cannot afford to make any miss-steps. I want the third choice to sound as good as it costs but I have no way of knowing that it will. Another brand I have in mind costs about the same but again I have no way of knowing how good it will sound (with MY speakers). These are just some of the reasons why I am struggling with my decision.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
        Hey Stew, I have three directions I am going in right now and I can't make up my mind on anyone of them.

1.) CDP-102, CP-500 and CA-2200 (Keep the Rotel RDV-1050 and RSX-1056 for movies.)
        3.) CDP-202, CP-700 and CA-M400 x2 (Keep the Rotel RDV-1050 and RSX-1056 for movies.)

Each has its pro's and con's not to mention that I have other brands I am considering but not because I am not satisfied with the Classe' sound. I just want to be sure that it's the best sound for my money. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse and at this price level I cannot afford to make any miss-steps. I want the third choice to sound as good as it costs but I have no way of knowing that it will. Another brand I have in mind costs about the same but again I have no way of knowing how good it will sound (with MY speakers). These are just some of the reasons why I am struggling with my decision.

Any suggestions?

No.3 is world class (seriously)

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

I wish I had yer problem Rebel!

How are you going to hook up the Rotel stuff? Same speakers or different ones? How will that work?

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
            No.3 is world class (seriously)
            Thanks Andrew, I needed the reassurance!

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by grit
              I wish I had yer problem Rebel!

How are you going to hook up the Rotel stuff? Same speakers or different ones? How will that work?
              Hey grit, I guess this is one of those rare cases of a problem that is of a good kind. LOL

I would use the same speakers for now. In the case of option 1 and 3 I would drive the center and surrounds with the Rotel receiver and use the Classe' pre and amp to drive the mains for stereo and HT pass through which is supported by both the CP-500 and CP-700.

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan

Any suggestions?
                Looks like no matter what you choose, you will win!! When in doubt, go for the middle of the road, option 2. If you're rich, go for option 3. :T

Will the CA-M400x2 power amp be dramatically better in sound quality compared to Classe's 200 watt power amps? Enough to warrant the big cost difference?

Thanks!
                Dave

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
                  Looks like no matter what you choose, you will win!! When in doubt, go for the middle of the road, option 2. If you're rich, go for option 3. :T

Will the CA-M400x2 power amp be dramatically better in sound quality compared to Classe's 200 watt power amps? Enough to warrant the big cost difference?
                  Too late, I went with option 3.

An increase in overall dynamic expression throughout the audible range is the most obvious characteristic of the CA-M400s. In particular, they exercise tighter control through the sub and low bass region, especially at lower listening levels, and are somewhat more articulate in mid and upper bass reproduction.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"