X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
    There is always a new preamplifier "on the way" ...

The prices will be higher than the SSP-300 & SSP-600, and the 300 and 600 will stay current
    Usually, there are always multiple products in development at the same time. One item may be in research phase while the other is in beta. It would be bad for a company to stay stagnant for any length of time.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Here are pics of my new toys!

Attached Files

Comment

• clewlor
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
        Usually, there are always multiple products in development at the same time. One item may be in research phase while the other is in beta. It would be bad for a company to stay stagnant for any length of time.
        Absolutely. I just was wondering if something was coming out in the next 6 months or so. If so, I could wait that long for something that might be a little better on the audio side (not that the SSP-300 is any slouch...). Right now I think I have narrowed things down to the Anthem D2 (though quite a stretch budget wise) and the SSP-300 or 400 (whatever the new one will be called). I eliminated the Krell Showcase (doesn't upconvert to component or display OSD in component). Plus no dealer within 150 miles of me.

Also - great pics and congrats on your new system! :T

Comment

• stewfoo
          • Jul 2005

Awesome pics Sikoniko!! Congrats.

Andrew,
          Why dont you share some of the benefits of the software upgrade?? and CanBus?
          Stew
          Stew

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
            • Apr 2005

I installed it, but im not sure what's new since I just got my unit...

a couple things... Im not the type of person that likes to bother the dealer, and I wish there was some documentation on how to setup the triggers... can someone help me? I want to setup a trigger so when I hit input 3 (labelled cdp-100), it automatically turns on the cdp-100, and when I change away from it, it powers it off.

also, I can't find speaker settings in my menu, to make sure that the crossover is set @ 80, and my speakers are all set to small.
            Okay,
            one at a time:

hit the (hard) menu button = then System set-up button = then Triggers.... this is off the top of my head so work with me a bit

you can assign an event to a trigger, like on/off of preamplifier or switching to an input (as you suggested) no worries (easy)

Next:
            Hit the hard Menu button = then system set-up = then speakers = then Speaker config.. (easy)

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
              Awesome pics Sikoniko!! Congrats.

Andrew,
              Why dont you share some of the benefits of the software upgrade?? and CanBus?
              Stew
              Okay,
              the benefits are posted on the website too
              (but there are secrets in the update that go unmentioned)

This update consisted of the first step towards CanBus hysteria (see website for details)

also some cool speaker config stuff and speaker set-up stuff like inches and feet.... Who needs that? Oh well I guess people were asking for it...

Plus colors (yeah, thats right...colors) oh yeah and more of the "BIG NUMBERS" on the volume control (you'll see what I mean) cool

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Yes,
                hence the statement, there's always a new preamplifier "on the way" if the company is actually in the product development business...

Some companies just don't ever seem to "get new stuff out" so I understand the confusion regarding my comments... "can of worms"

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Okay,
                  Next:
                  Hit the hard Menu button = then system set-up = then speakers = then Speaker config.. (easy)
                  found it. its a little in depth than that, but i didnt notice the more button in config. 1, which led me to THX and Speaker Setup.

UPDATE

just as I suspected, all of the speakers were set to large.
                  Last edited by sikoniko; 17 December 2006, 23:50 Sunday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Okay,
                    the benefits are posted on the website too
                    (but there are secrets in the update that go unmentioned)
                    would you mind pointing us to a link? I couldn't find too much on classe's website.

secrets that if we look, we should be able to find? Or are they like easter eggs, where we hold config 1 and config 4 it will magically make my nuforce amps sound like a ca-3200?

also some cool speaker config stuff and speaker set-up stuff like inches and feet.... Who needs that? Oh well I guess people were asking for it...
                    While I am still in the early stages of the 300 hr break-in period, Im still doing the automatic config. Out of curiosity, how accurate is this compared to a manual setup?

Plus colors (yeah, thats right...colors) oh yeah and more of the "BIG NUMBERS" on the volume control (you'll see what I mean) cool
                    This is something I already had when I got the unit. Not sure that this is new...

I am having another weird issue. I have my input 1 setup for balanced - audio bypass and video is off, as well as no video input selected. For some reason video is still going through the projector from component1. I thought this would turn off all video circuitry?

Comment

• mluding
                      • Feb 2005

Hi altogether,

I'm quite new here in this thread, so please don't knock me out for this basic question: I'm driving my power demanding speakers (see public profile) with a CAM-350 and a CAV-180. How would you describe the differences in soundquality between the old and the new Delta design (especially between the CAM-350 and the new CAM-400)? Is the new design much better?

Martin

Comment

• SMB
                        • Dec 2006

Which interconnects for SSP-600?

What cables do you guys recommend for balanced connections between the SSP-600 and the CA-5100/5200? My local dealer recommended the Siltech Mark II Sq-28, but at $700 pair for 1m, it sounds like a ton of $$$. Even more so since he said I need 2.5 pairs!

Also, what would recommend for cables between the CDP-300 and the SSP-600. The dealer recomended that I go with Siltech Classic Mark II HS10 (XLR) for $600. Again, sounds like a ton to spend on a cable!

I see that Better Cables and Cat Cables also have alternate options, but is there any compromise in quality? Would love to hear if anyone has compared the Siltech stuff to others.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

It is the policy of this board to not discuss cables, unless you are referring to CAT cables, which the owner makes. You will have a hard time finding an answer to your question here.

Some people say you should spend 10% of your system cost on cables...

Comment

• SMB
                            • Dec 2006

Oh... I'm sorry about that. Did not know.

Comment

• Eliav
                              • Jul 2005

It is the policy of this board to not discuss cables, unless you are referring to CAT cables, which the owner makes. You will have a hard time finding an answer to your question here.

Some people say you should spend 10% of your system cost on cables...
                              No intention to rock the boat, just out of curiousity, did you guys spend 10% of your system's cost on cables ?
                              I have recently purchased an expensive brand speaker cabels to replace my "old" modestly priced ones - to my ears, there was no audioable difference.
                              what is your experience with cabels in your systems, please skip mentioning brands, just an empiric discussion( if I am allowed to ask) ?
                              Eliav
                              :T Socrat

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

short answer... no. to be honest, from what I have read, the place you want to make the biggest investment is your interconnects, especially from your sources.

Comment

• clewlor
                                  • Dec 2006

Quick question

I was in my favorite local dealer for Classe looking around and I stopped by to look at the Rotel RSP-1098. I noticed that this unit has DTS 96/24 capabilities but the Classe SSPs do not. Any reason for this? Is this something that could come along later?

Comment

• mluding
                                    • Feb 2005

I cannot comment on the Classe SSPs, however, DTS 94/24 is only used for some/few Musik-DVD'S. For me that would not be a big issue.

I had the Rotel RSP-1098 for about 9 months in my system before buying my current processor. The 1098 was very easy to use and I liked the display. Sonicwise it was not a great deal! The upgrade from the Rotel to my Audionet was even a bigger step compared to the upgrade from the CAV-180 to the CAM-350 for the fronts. Treble was never grainless with the Rotel and the positioning of instruments was not as accurate as I wanted it.

....just my two cents!

Comment

• RobP
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

mluding, what improvements did you see by switching from the CAV180 to the CAM350's other than the obvious gain in power?
                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• clewlor
                                        • Dec 2006

Just thought I would let it be known that I am about to join the Classe club - just made my purchase of a SSP-300. Should get here in about a week!

Comment

• mluding
                                          • Feb 2005

mluding, what improvements did you see by switching from the CAV180 to the CAM350's other than the obvious gain in power?
                                          One big difference (maybe the most obvious) was that the CSM-350 are much quiter than CAV-180 (S/N-ratio). I can still hear it today: the CAM are completely silent and with the CAV at my surrounds I can hear some noisefloor. However, you will only hear it with the CD or DVD paused or very quiet music passages with the volume turned up to insane levels.

Hearing some music differences are a much better soundstaging and flawless mids. I cound not hear a big difference concerning the bass-authority, its maybe because I biamped my fronts with the CAV before.

Martin

Comment

• stewfoo
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by clewlor
                                            Just thought I would let it be known that I am about to join the Classe club - just made my purchase of a SSP-300. Should get here in about a week!
                                            Congrats and welcome!
                                            Stew

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                • Apr 2005

so everybody has installed the new SSP updates and is enjoying the new touch screen colors like Green or Red?

and now you can connect your amplifiers to the preamplifier and get the amp data?

Fun?

No biggie?

how come no chatter on this?

Comment

• photoman
                                                  • Apr 2006

I've been to busy listening to my new 802D's with the old firmware to have any time to update to the latest. So, you can get new colors? Wow, looks like I'll really have to update. I've got the new CAN bus coming to me; guess when I get that I'll have to update all the firmware.

I can say though that going from 803D's to 802D on my current setup was a well an ear opening experience. I can listen for 3 hours without the slightest hint of fatigue.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

so everybody has installed the new SSP updates and is enjoying the new touch screen colors like Green or Red?

and now you can connect your amplifiers to the preamplifier and get the amp data?

Fun?

No biggie?

how come no chatter on this?
                                                    You forgot silver? Or is that a normal option? Like I said, I just got it. I still prefer blue. It matches my CDP-100 that may or may not get updated...

Don't have a classe amp. Hopefully in a few months. Then I'll have to figure how to run a CAT5 cable to it, as I didn't plan it before I built the walls.

Comment

• Eliav
                                                      • Jul 2005

Happy holidays

Hi ya'all

It's the end of a busy week, back to my Classe/802d combo and my HT shrine, it's good to be back home... I wish this forum members happy holidays,have fun , enjoy the music !
                                                      Cheers 8x)
                                                      Eliav
                                                      Last edited by Eliav; 25 December 2006, 12:41 Monday.
                                                      :T Socrat

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                        • Apr 2005

Happy New Year and all the good stuff

You huys have provided a ton of entertainment and knowledge over the last 12 months!
                                                        Hugs and love to all

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
                                                          Hi ya'all

It's the end of a busy week, back to my Classe/802d combo and my HT shrine, it's good to be back home... I wish this forum members happy holidays,have fun , enjoy the music !
                                                          Cheers 8x)
                                                          Eliav
                                                          Ditto! This has been a very trying month for my family as well. Too many things going on with work and at home but the dust has FINALLY started to settle. It looks I have some catching up to do around here. 8O

For now I would just like to say real quickly Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
                                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

I just wanted to share some enthusiasm with my new toys...

Over the past 2 weeks I have been listening to a lot of 2 channel. This is the first time I have actually gotten excited about listening to music. I don't mean before listening, I mean while listening. In the past, I would put a CD in and listen, but find myself feeling antsy and only sit for short periods of time. I often attributed this to being a part of the MTV generation. Now, when I sit and listen, it actually makes my heart beat faster. I fell asleep the other night sitting and listening to music. I can't wait until I get the CA-3200 to complete the sound.

Comment

• clewlor
                                                              • Dec 2006

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Hi all - got it today and am having some fund but I seem to be having trouble finding something something. Got a quick question on the SSP-300 system setup menu. It does not display the "speaker setup" button in the menu. As the manual states, it should be "found via the following path: system setup/speakers". I have no speakers submenu. Any idea why this is? Am I missing something? I am using input 2 for cable and am using a coax cable from the cable box. Thanks!

Comment

• photoman
                                                                • Apr 2006

Hi all - got it today and am having some fund but I seem to be having trouble finding something something. Got a quick question on the SSP-300 system setup menu. It does not display the "speaker setup" button in the menu. As the manual states, it should be "found via the following path: system setup/speakers". I have no speakers submenu. Any idea why this is? Am I missing something? I am using input 2 for cable and am using a coax cable from the cable box. Thanks!
                                                                It's under the configuration(s) screen. Once in a configuration (say config 1)there you'll see the more option on top of the menu, go into that and you'll get the speaker setup option. Once configured, assign a configuration to your input. You can setup 4 configurations (Large L/R, Small Rears etc) and assign them to various inputs. This will allow for some custom configurations for various inputs. Example, for Config1 you can have Large R/L and nothing else and assign that to what your using for 2CH. For HT, create a Config2 with all speakers configured and assign that to your Video input. For Multichannel listening, perhaps Config3 where all the speakers are large and assign that to your MCH input etc.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2005

New Classe SSP

Anyone know when a new Classe SSP should come out which will have HDMI and support DD+ and True HD and how much it will cost?

I read the thread which pointed to one worth 25k, but wil there be an "entry" level model? How long does it typical take Classe to adapt to cutting edge formats?

One more question. Do you think classe will make a classe D amp similar to the Rotel 1077?

Comment

• clewlor
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2006

Hi all,

Thanks for the earlier help on where to find the speaker settings - I did figure it out after messing with it for awhile. It does make sense where it is. So I have another question...

Messing around with my new SSP-300 and I am a little confused (and I have read the manual). When choosing different audio modes like DLPII, there is an option for each that adds THX. The manual was a little confusing - it seems to state that there are advantages of using this even with only 5.1. Then it says that in order to use THX Ultra 2 Cinema mode with DPLII, DD, etc., you need 7.1. I looked for the THX Ultra 2 Cinema mode but could not find it even when inputing that I had 2 rear surrounds. Is THX Ultra 2 Cinema something that is automatic when choosing the "+ THX" mode? If I only have for now 2 side surrounds, should I never engage the THX processing?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• donlduck
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Anyone have experience with Martin Logan and Classe?

I purchased a Martin Logan home theater setup based around Sumit speakers for the front L&R channels. The center, surrounds, and sub are also ML products. I heard the system demoed with McIntosh gear and obviously the sound quality was enough to sell me on the speakers but I am considering Classe as an option for eletronics. I'm looking at the SSP-600, CA-5200, and CDP-300V which I have heard demoed with other brands of speakers. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to do a direct comparison so any experiences to share and/or comments on this combination of gear or individual components will be appreciated. Thanks.

Don

Comment

• donlduck
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2006

[QUOTE=Vancouver]Anyone know when a new Classe SSP should come out which will have HDMI and support DD+ and True HD and how much it will cost?
                                                                        I read the thread which pointed to one worth 25k, but wil there be an "entry" level model? How long does it typical take Classe to adapt to cutting edge formats?

My local Classe dealer said that they were already getting specs on the SSP-900 and that it will be out "soon". He also quoted the price as being $25,000. He said that the upgrade (intermediate) solution that he suggest for the SSP-600 is to go with the "V" version of the CDP-300 which offers 3-1 HDMI switching. Cost is $500 more than standard CDP-300 at $7000. I'm sure there will be a more elegant trickle down execution at some point but I was given no indication that it would be anytime soon. Hope this helps.

Don

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

I heard the 300V was cancelled.

Comment

• donlduck
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2006

I heard the 300V was cancelled.
                                                                            Aparently not because that's what my dealer said was available for immediate purchase. However, I haven't actually plunked my money down and taken delivery yet. I could have the actual model number slightly amiss but he said it was the V version of the CDP-300.

Don

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 2299

I could be wrong, but I was told that they had abandoned it to build an external video scaler instead.

Comment

• donlduck
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 5

I could be wrong, but I was told that they had abandoned it to build an external video scaler instead.
                                                                                Wouldn't be the first time I've been told one thing only to find the truth is another. I should know for real tomorrow and I'll let you know.

Don

Comment

• rickc
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2006
                                                                                  • 57

I purchaed a all Classe system about 2 months ago with B&W 802D's and I am very, very happy!!!! Every day the system sounds better from the break in process. I have an SSP 600, CDP 300 and a 5200 amp. I am amazed at the quality of the sound. Every disk that I listen to is a new experience. I prefer to listen to this system in 2 channel, but the party mode sounds outstanding as well as playing thru my entire B & W HT setup.

Comment

• rickc
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2006
                                                                                    • 57

Classe Mono Block question???

I have an SSP 600, CDP 300 and my amp is a 5200. I have all B&W speakers and my main speakers are 802D's. The question that I have is if I added two mono block Classe amps (400 watts each) would it be a significant improvement in sound quality?? For $10K can anyone let me know what I should expect? I would continue to use the 5200 for the center and rear speakers. Then I would also set up a second zone for the other two channels. I would use the mono blocks on the main L and R speakers.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

Originally posted by Birdy
                                                                                      I have it, I find it nice, classy.

Birdy
                                                                                      Birdy, it is a Classe' Delta rack that you have? Can you provide a pic?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3139

Originally posted by Kobus
                                                                                        Also, regarding software/firmware, how do you establish what version your amp is running on?
                                                                                        For now you will need to enter the amp's menu system via an RS232 connection in order to determine the current status. I suspect CANBUS will also provide this information once it arrives in mass.

And, as my laptop does not have a serial (RS232) port, is it ok to use a serial to usb adaptor for updating software?
                                                                                        Absolutely, precisely how I do it.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

I got my SSP-600 last night! All I have to say is that it is a bit more complex than I had expected. There were no issues getting setup, but I want to get more into triggers/ CANBUS/ IR stuff now.

BTW, for those w/ the SSP-300/600, my unit came with the CANBUS switch. It is my understanding that it was not available previously, so get in touch with your dealer and have them get it for you.

I could not find any documentation for the CANBUS with my processor. Anyone have any experience on setting this up, what the limitations are and what I can do with it?

BTW, I had been using a bryston sp2 before this. When I get more time I will write my impressions. Lets just say for now, that even in its first hour of operation, I am HIGHLY impressed with the performance. Only 299 hours more to go for break-in....
                                                                                          Way to go sikoniko. :T Nice pic of your system rack too!!!

BTW, thanks for the tip on the CANBUS switch. I asked Classe' about it a couple months ago but they didn't have a release date at the time.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

Like the other's said, congrats and welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"