• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

SSP 800 questions thread 20/10

Here's Dave's answers, formatted by me, but otherwise not altered:

Dave:

I would like to add some general comments to supplement the answers below. First, thank you for taking the time to organize the list for me and post the answers. Club Classé is a great way for current and potential Classé fans and AV enthusiasts to share ideas, opinions and solutions. The active participants are passionate and it can get contentious, which is normal, but no one should doubt that the people at Classé are also passionate and we care that our customers are satisfied. I am not a participant in the forum but I do read many of the posts. I am sometimes surprised by posts where a “bug” is reported that simply is not a bug but rather a disagreement or misunderstanding about how something should work, or some question is raised and debated when if anyone had asked us they could have gotten an answer. I know that most consumer electronics companies are pretty inaccessible, but Club Classé participants should know that we will do our best to answer their questions. I hope that doesn’t take the fun out of it!

The initial purpose of this thread was to list out all of the known bugs and get a status report on them. The truth is that the list is indeed very short—three verified bugs, none of which have existed or been known about for more than a few months and none of which result in an inability to use the system. These will all be addressed in the next software release. We will also address some feature requests, such as dimming the standby LED brightness which is needed for some of the SSP-800s (described in my answers below). Are there still some even more obscure bugs lurking and not yet reported or verified? Probably. Will there be new problems to solve once the HDMI 1.4 board is out? Almost certainly. That is the nature of the beast. The SSP does not operate in a vacuum or in its own closed or Classé-controlled system. It has to interact with hundreds of other brands and thousands of models of sources, cables and display devices sold around the world, as well as numerous audio and video signal formats. HDMI in particular is challenging for everyone in the industry. We have taken on that challenge and introduced the first truly high-end SSP with HDMI 1.3 and it looks like we will again be the first with HDMI 1.4. I am proud of the good work the Classé Design Team has done and am confident in their ability to keep us out in front of the competition.

Please let me know if you have follow up questions.

Questions
    1.1. What will the upgrade price for the 1.4 board be for european customers., and when will it be available?

Dave: Export pricing will vary by market and I don’t know the retail pricing arrangements everywhere so check with your local distributor. It typically takes 4-8 weeks for products to work their way through the supply chain for overseas customers, so that is about what I would expect for a lag in availability between North America and Europe.

1.2. The new board is supposed to improve hdmi switching speed. Will there also be a improvements for the old boards?

Dave: I believe I may have covered this in an earlier Q&A and I know I have answered exhaustively for one or two members on the board, but the short answer is no. On the current video board, we are switching as fast as we can without introducing other problems. When you get a picture and sound you get it cleanly without pops and clicks and it works rock solid. For some of us, the switching speed is quite good enough as it is. In my system, it never takes more than six seconds to lock onto a new source or different resolution and it is typically much faster than that. For others, there are delays that range from slight annoyance to unacceptable. We all have the same SSP so the difference is the associated equipment and the setup. For example, choosing a fixed output resolution on a cable box may move the annoyance meter back to an acceptable level. I think that for most, the handshake when changing to TV channels of different resolutions is the real issue, not the time it takes to lock when changing inputs. In these cases the performance varies widely between set top boxes so if you were to point fingers, the source is usually the source of the problem.

It is important to understand that the switching speeds are related to the hardware and software we use, and to the hardware and software all of your associated equipment uses, plus the configurations employed by each component in the system. It is a highly complex and interactive situation which we have endeavored to optimize. To say that one combination of source, repeater, display which takes longer to switch than another is evidence of a software bug shows a complete misunderstanding of how this all works. What we will not do is chase our tail by optimizing one source/display combination only to compromise everyone else. “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” I hope everyone can understand and accept this.

1.3. Will the current or future boards support standby passthrough?

Dave: It is on our list as a desired new feature. In principle, we should be able to offer it on both boards but we haven’t implemented or tested it yet. The application is where someone wants to send audio to TV speakers and keep the main audio system off. In order to do this, we would need to fix an input, like HDMI 1, as the standby pass-though input. You would connect your set top box to this input and regardless which input had been selected when the unit was put into standby, you could turn your TV on and watch it with audio coming from the TV speakers. Keep in mind that HDMI audio sent from the source is determined based on what types of audio the SSP can accept, which will not be the same as what the TV can accept, so for the feature to work we need to re-establish the HDMI link between source and display. It looks like we can do it, but until it is done I don’t want to promise it.

1.4. Suppose new video standards emerge within a couple of years,say 4k2k pictures, what would you need to change in the SSP 800?

Dave: In theory, only the video board would need to change, but when speculating about future technology it’s best to not get too far ahead of yourself. HDMI parts will undergo another upgrade in bandwidth in the coming months, which means that later in 2011 manufacturers will begin introducing newer 300 MHz parts. The higher bandwidth will take the current state-of-the-art 3D capability from 1080p @ 24fps, where it will be in our new HDMI 1.4 video board, to 1080p @ 50/60fps. Will we ever see 3D at those frame rates? It is possible, but as a practical matter due to storage space, probably not from a Blu-ray Disc. Our new video board uses 225 MHz parts which are the highest bandwidth HDMI parts you can buy at the moment. In theory, the next generation of 300 MHz HDMI 1.4 parts could handle 4K2K, which requires 297 MHz. A lot of this is speculative because we don’t actually have any of this hardware to work with yet. So to put it in perspective, an entirely new generation of sources and displays along with media will need to exist in order to require more bandwidth from the signal path than our new video board will support. Even in the consumer electronics market where things seem to move so quickly, we know that any practical application for this is a long way off. The further into the future it is, the harder it is for me to speculate about what we will or won’t be able to do. The safe thing is to assume no further hardware upgrades and if they are offered, you can decide at that point whether you want or need them.

Wishes, in no particular order

1.5. An option to dim the LED lights on the front ("Global System Brightness", works on everything but the SSP-800: the screen dims, but not the LED). Alternatively the Display button on the remote could have a 4th step in the sequence: Bright, Medium, Dim, and Off.

Dave: There are two separate and distinct issues having to do with the standby LED and display options discussed.

Most SSP-800s shipped in 2010 use the same front panel board as the CT-SSP. The CT-SSP uses multiple LEDs where the SSP-800 uses only one. Also, the part was changed for manufacturing reasons to a part which appears brighter than the original. The result is some people have complained that when in standby, the LED is too bright (it is off when in the operate mode). We are adding a button to the MENU/display setup/brightness page that will allow users to select a dim standby LED setting. For customers who have found the LED too bright, this should bring the brightness of the LED closer into line with the amps and disc players. The dim setting we are implementing is the lowest we can offer for this LED, so there will not be a future “even dimmer” setting for us to offer.

There have been various forms of “display off requests.” I will repeat that it is not desirable or even legal (numerous global safety compliance certifications are involved in offering the SSP for sale) to make the front panel completely dark. We are investigating the options to accommodate a display off setting, but there are UI complications. If the display has been set to off and the standby LED is on (the unit can’t be entirely dark), it looks like it’s in standby. You walk up and press the standby button to wake it up, only to find that you have inadvertently put it into standby. This is just a simple example of how a seemingly simple feature request might have undesirable implications for lots of users or might take a lot more time (cost) to implement than you would think. Many customization options can be enabled for SSPs installed in systems with RS-232 automation and we offer many special control features, but our goal with the SSP user interface is not to make it do everything everyone might want but to do what most people want it to do in a way that most people can easily use. It is quite customizable as it is and can be extremely easy to operate without requiring an external control system. The more we ask it to do the more confusion we create and the more difficult it becomes to use so we are always reluctant to expand the feature set. We try to strike a balance and we use feedback from the field and the forums to see how we are doing. I do expect to be able to offer some solution for people who want the display to stay off during changes that currently cause it to wake. I just don’t know exactly how it will work yet.

1.6. Possibiliy to set a default startup preselected input.

Dave: This can be done by assigning a discrete input to an F key and pressing that F key will turn the unit on to that selected input. For the person that always wants the unit to come on a certain way this gets the job done without adding more complexity to the setup or confusing anyone. If you have a learning remote for the system you can teach this command as your operate/ON command for the SSP and it will always come on to the pre-selected input.

1.7. Possibility to have a "kids mode" where the volume control on the unit is disabled to prevent small kids from being small kids.

Dave: This is another example of an idea which is good for some people but could result in others somehow finding that their volume control doesn’t work. People in the audio business know that millions (no exagerration) of phone calls were generated by the tape monitor buttons of older preamps and receivers. Caller: “There’s no output from my stereo.” Dealer: “Try pressing the tape monitor button.” Caller: “$#$*!” (inaudible as the sound comes blasting through the phone because the volume knob was turned all the way up and music was playing when the tape monitor button got switched off). I know people should RTFM, but a child that is too old to carelessly spin the knob is likely to be just old enough to poke around in the menu and turn the volume control off. We have several child-proofing features available in the SSP.

There is a speed limit on the volume knob, so if you spin it too fast it simply stops changing volume and locks up for a few seconds. There is a max volume setting so if you have a child or house guest who wants to test the limits of the system, you can be certain that it never gets played loud enough to do any damage.

If you press menu, then the F keys in reverse order (F4, F3, F2, F1), the setup menu pages lock and only the status button is active. That’s a secret way for an adult who has a child who is old enough to be poking around in the menu settings to deny access. Repeat the procedure (Menu, F4, F3, F2, F1) to unlock.

Dealers also have access to archiving and restoring settings in case they get changed accidentally and they can lower the speed limit on the volume control, but if you get too low it gets awkward to use. If you always use the remote, then lowering the speed limit on the knob combined with a max volume setting should do the trick.

1.8. Dolby Volume, Airplay, Dolby IIz.

Dave: Working on Dolby Volume but not in the next code release, Airplay is not possible in the SSP-800 and PLIIz is a longer term maybe, but it’s of interest to a very small subset of current users since the AUX channels are often otherwise employed for subs, bi-amping or feeding another zone.

1.9. Enhancements to the CANBus. Its possible to use the CANBus to turn specific devices on and off in the CANBus menu, but not in the Configuration menu. Instead one has to use Triggers and more cables. Can the CANBus device "operate" function be linked into the configuration menu so I don't have to use Triggers?

Dave: This was on our original list of possible CAN Bus features and I still think it would be a nice thing, but it requires adding considerable complexity to the setup and changing the code in all Delta and CT series models. It could be done, but the added complexity makes its value debatable and the time required to update everything puts it on the unlikely side of the ledger. There is an opportunity cost to everything, so adding features to existing products takes away development time from new products or updates like the CP-800 and HDMI 1.4 update. Adding one feature may also be far more costly than adding another and we have to make these value decisions all the time. Keep in mind that this feature only applies to a Classé theater system owner whose system 1) is not automated and 2) has multiple amps with L&R separate from Surrounds, Center and Rears. In other words, less than a third of Classé owners could possibly benefit from this, so in all likelihood, it would only actually be used by a few percent of our customers.

1.10. Could the display stays off during CD playback via a digital connection.

Dave: I assume this refers to the fact that stream changes cause the display to wake and notify you that there’s been a change, even though that may not be wanted. This falls into the “display off” feature category, so if we can determine a reasonable way to handle the display off request, it should apply to this case as well.

1.11. A summary of "everything" on the status screen.

Dave: I’m not sure what this means. I think we have all of the relevant things available but if there is something useful missing and we have access to show it, we will consider it. Please be specific

1.12. An updated list of "modes", not in the manual. Perhaps an online up to date manual in pdf would do the trick?

Dave: Could you give me an example of a mode that is missing? The manual will be updated at the time the HDMI 1.4 version is released, so now is a good time for us to make changes to it

Originally posted by old text
    So, I have had the luck of receiving a polite answer from Dave Nauber of Classé. He stated that he would be happy to answer any questions regarding the SSP800, so this thread is for gathering said questions.

So, if people would like to objectively state questions or other relevant info, this is the place. Please refrain from personal attacks, just the nature of the problem, when does it arise, and why does is it important to you?

Also, feedback can be positive as well

Edit: I promised to have a list of questions in a weeks time, so don't sit on them
    Last edited by Skyblue; 30 October 2010, 18:32 Saturday.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Old text...
    Well, I have a question myself, so I am going ahead and post it here:

As a software engineer, I am interested in the development process that is used at Classe:

1. Please tell us a bit about the obstacles to develop software for audioboxes like the ssp 800.
    2. How do you gather and prioritise the incomming issues?
    3. What development process are you using?
    4. How do you test your units?
    5. What is the top issues you are currently battling?

As customer, I have already ordered the ssp800, due to arrive late november, so ..

1. Will the new hdmi 1.4 board have any other improvements outside of just support for a newer hdmi? Ie. some people have reported issues with switching input, is this improved with the new board?

2. Some people thought that the $1500 hdmi update was a bit expensive for what is belived to be a passthrough. Could you elaborate on what is replaced/inserted?
    2. The hdmi switching

Ok, so somewhat later than promised, but here it is: A summary of the questions in the thread. I have divided them into questions/issues/requests/already answered questions.

Questions and requests

1.1. The new board is supposed to improve hdmi switching speed. Will there also be a improvements for the old boards?

1.2. Will the current or future boards support standby passthrough?

1.3. An option to dim the LED lights on the front ("Global System Brightness", works on everything but the SSP-800: the screen dims, but not the LED). Alternatively the Display button on the remote could have a 4th step in the sequence: Bright, Medium, Dim, and Off.

1.4. Possibiliy to set a default startup preselected input.

1.5. Possibility to have a "kids mode" where the volume control on the unit is disabled to prevent small kids from being small kids.

1.6. Dolby Volume, Airplay, Dolby IIz.

1.7. A summary of everything on the status screen.

1.8. An updated list of "modes", not in the manual.

1.9. Enhancements to the CANBus. Its possible to use the CANBus to turn specific devices on and off in the CANBus menu, but not in the Configuration menu. Instead one has to use Triggers and more cables. Can the CANBus device "operate" function be linked into the configuration menu so I don't have to use Triggers?

1.10. What will the upgrade price for the 1.4 board be for european customers., and when will it be available?

1.11. What I would like to see is that the display stays off during CD playback via a digital connection.

(I have my timeout set to 3 seconds. But whenever I play a CD via S/PDIF or HDMI my SSP-800 display is activated at the start of a track. Via analog the display stays off. Maybe it has something to do with signal interruption between tracks. All events are deactivated.)

Suggestion: How about a 60 sec timeout setting for display time out? Some time so long that the 30 sec setting will turn off the display before the CD/DVD have been read.

Issues

Srrnhound:
    2.1. When switching from an HDMI source to an S/PDIF source, the audio is sometimes missing. Switching again restores audio.

2.2. 5.1-ch, 192 khz audio does not play.

2.3. 5.1 PCM inputs, when downmixed to stereo sometimes clips.

Aarsoe:
    2.4. Missing audio if a file is encoded in DTS with 3F/2R and LFE with a sample rate of 48.000 and a bit rate of 1536 Kbit/s.

2.5. Sound sometimes clips while playing CD's in configuration 2.

(System: CDP502 connected via coax to SSP-800 to CA-2200 to 802D...
    Firmware 2.04 on the SSP and the latest for both 502 and 2200.)

Questions that has already been answered
    3.1 Will the new hdmi 1.4 board have any other improvements outside of just support for a newer hdmi? Ie. some people have reported issues with switching input, is this improved with the new board?

A: Yes.

3.2 Some people thought that the $1500 hdmi update was a bit expensive for what is belived to be a passthrough. Could you elaborate on what is replaced/inserted?

A: It is sold at cost price.

3.3. The SSP-800 seems unwilling to accept an HDMI "audio" only signal.

A: Kal seems to have this working, so it seems an issues between the specific source and the SSP800. Not a general problem.

Please feel free to comment if I simplified or misunderstood too much
    Last edited by Skyblue; 25 October 2010, 17:26 Monday. Reason: Gathering questions
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
      So, I have had the luck of receiving a polite answer from Dave Nauber of Classé. He stated that he would be happy to answer any questions regarding the SSP800, so this thread is for gathering said questions.

So, if people would like to objectively state questions or other relevant info, this is the place. Please refrain from personal attacks, just the nature of the problem, when does it arise, and why does is it important to you?

Also, feedback can be positive as well

Edit: I promised to have a list of questions in a weeks time, so don't sit on them
      Fabulous, maybe we will get unbiased straight answers rather than self serving ones
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Objective unbiased questions were always served with objective unbiased answers.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Srrndhound
          • Sep 2008

Aside from the general questions of philosophy, policy, pricing, maybe it would be good to capture, in one place, a list of all technical issues people are experiencing.

I'll start. The first 4 are ones I found and have already reported to Classe:

1) HDMI switching speed is slower than typical AVRs. Can it be improved in the current or future HDMI board?

2) When switching from an HDMI source to an S/PDIF source, the audio is sometimes missing. Switching again restores audio.

3) 5.1-ch, 192 kHz audio does not play.

4) 5.1 PCM inputs, when downmixed to stereo, sometimes clips.

5) Will the current or future HDMI boards support standby passthrough?

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou
            Fabulous, maybe we will get unbiased straight answers rather than self serving ones
            Since Dave is the president of Classe, I think you will not get completely unbiased answers, but as straight from the source as humanly possible.

If theres something you wish him to answer, or a problem you want him to adress, now is the time. I don't think you're going to get a better offer today.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Srrndhound
              Aside from the general questions of philosophy, policy, pricing, maybe it would be good to capture, in one place, a list of all technical issues people are experiencing.

1) HDMI switching speed is slower than typical AVRs. Can it be improved in the current or future HDMI board?

2) When switching from an HDMI source to an S/PDIF source, the audio is sometimes missing. Switching again restores audio.

Add to that the ability to dim the LED lights on all Classé that are connected with CANBus
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Why is the led a problem?

Comment

• rogerdn
                  • Aug 2008

Ditto 1) and 2).... esp 2).

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Why is the led a problem?
                    It would be nice to turn it off completely so it doesn't shine while watching a movie :T My Oppo, Integra Research and Yamaha lights are able to be turned off

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

Another question: Since I have little kids and I probably will not be able to install my ssp800 out of reach, is it, or would it be possible with an option to disable the volume control on the front, so that only the remote can change the volume?

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Another question: Since I have little kids and I probably will not be able to install my ssp800 out of reach, is it, or would it be possible with an option to disable the volume control on the front, so that only the remote can change the volume?
                        Yes, seconded, and the menu already exists, "system setup->volume", they could add the missing "disable automation" button to the right of the "IR" button. This would be a very useful feature.
                        Add to that the ability to dim the LED lights on all Classé that are connected with CANBus
                        Seconded. "Global System Brightness", works on everything but the SSP-800: the screen dims but not the LED. This has been asked for many times, it should work, but it doesn't. I don't understand why it's still not been implemented.

Enhancements to the CANBus. I can use CANBus to turn specific devices on and off in the CANBus menu, but not in the Configuration menu, I have to use Triggers and more cables. Can the CANBus device "operate" function be linked into the configuration menu so I don't have to use Triggers?

Enhancements to the STATUS screen. I'd like to see a summary of everything! Also, I'm sure I've seen things not described in the manual, is there an updated list of "modes" I can download?

HDMI switching. Can the switching speed be improved? Will the new HDMI 1.4 board improve switching speed and device compatibility? What about upgrades for european customers? Can I get a discount? Please?
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Mike, it would be nice if Classe' would address every person's requests but that's not how it will go. Classe' will not amend the UI (likewise with CANBus) anytime soon especially when a bug free code release is in the works. Don't be surprised to hear this repeated.

I made a note on HDMI 1.4 switching in another thread. It is unlikely the current version (1.3) will see an improvement but that is just my guess at this point, nothing official. Of the inquiries you bring up, I can only concur that the global LED brightness does not dim properly on the SSP and that does deserve an answer.

Modes are only refreshed with firmware updates. The manual is often out of sync with the software so don't rely on it entirely. BTW, No discounts will be issued on the new HDMI board. It's offered at cost.

Comment

• Skyblue
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            Mike, it would be nice if Classe' would address every person's requests but that's not how it will go. Classe' will not amend the UI (likewise with CANBus) anytime soon especially when a bug free code release is in the works. Don't be surprised to hear this repeated.

I made a note on HDMI 1.4 switching in another thread. It is unlikely the current version (1.3) will see an improvement but that is just my guess at this point, nothing official. Of the inquiries you bring up, I can only concur that the global LED brightness does not dim properly on the SSP and that does deserve an answer.

Modes are only refreshed with firmware updates. The manual is often out of sync with the software so don't rely on it entirely. BTW, No discounts will be issued on the new HDMI board. It's offered at cost.
                            Lets not be premature. You said you did not represent Classe, so why don't we proceed as planned and send these questions and requests to Dave in about a weeks time.

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I will not interfere with your efforts to collect questions regarding the SSP-800 for which the answer is currently unknown (I don't know). I will, however, interject where I see redundancy or add information that I know to be official. In cases where I am uncertain I will preface as such.

Comment

• mjb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Mike, it would be nice if Classe' would address every person's requests but that's not how it will go.
                                Tom has always been very helpful and responsive when ever I've written to him, so I'm sure their position is not to ignor customer requests

BTW, No discounts will be issued on the new HDMI board. It's offered at cost.
                                Hopefully the usual 1:1 Dollar to Euro rate won't apply either
                                - Mike

Main System:
                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Skyblue
                                  • Jun 2009

I will not interfere with your efforts to collect questions regarding the SSP-800 for which the answer is currently unknown (I don't know). I will, however, interject where I see redundancy or add information that I know to be official. In cases where I am uncertain I will preface as such.
                                  Very few things are set in stone. Maybe they'll change their mind on some issues when they get them explained? I dunno, but not asking will definately not produce an answer.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

My position was made very clear. If I know the answer then I will speak up. If I am uncertain then I will offer my take on it. If I don't know than I will remain silent. It is not necessary for people to ask a question when the same question has already been asked and for which there is an answer. Tom is very helpful but his responsibilities primarily cover customer service and support. Sure you can ask him a question and he may have an answer or he may not have an answer or the answer he has may not be conclusive. I am no different in that respect. I am not pulling this information out of thin air. Why is that honesty so hard to understand?

EDIT: Mike you changed your post and deleted some statements. This response took those missing comments and what remains into account.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Very few things are set in stone. Maybe they'll change their mind on some issues when they get them explained? I dunno, but not asking will definately not produce an answer.
                                      Well, it will definitely not produce any feedback. I only indicated to Mike that the feedback should not come as any surprise.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                        • Sep 2008

It would be nice to turn it off completely so it doesn't shine while watching a movie :T My Oppo, Integra Research and Yamaha lights are able to be turned off
                                        Which Oppo do you have, and how do you get the blue power switch LED to go off? Mine (BDP-83) stays on all the time, even when the main display is turned off.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mjb
                                          "Global System Brightness", works on everything but the SSP-800: the screen dims but not the LED. This has been asked for many times, it should work, but it doesn't.
                                          I have requested that for us non CANBus users, the Display button on the remote simply have a 4th step in the sequence: Bright, Medium, Dim, and Off. That way, it would stay dark even when modes/streams/volume is changed rather than popping on during a movie. It could turn off the blue LED, too, or just make it really dim, whichever is best. The LED doesn't bother me, though.

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Which Oppo do you have, and how do you get the blue power switch LED to go off? Mine (BDP-83) stays on all the time, even when the main display is turned off.
                                            BDP-83 the front panel turns off, yes the very small LED on stays on but the brightness is much lower than the Classé. That is the least of bugs on SSP-800

In order of priority:

First: HDMI switching speed please improve it for current owners. To have to upgrade the board for that is not acceptable.

Second: 5.1-ch, 192 kHz audio does not play.

Third: 5.1 PCM inputs, when down-mixed to stereo, sometimes clips

Fourth: Please give us the ability to have LED lights be turned off

New Features that many other non HIFI pre/pro at 1/4 of the price have:

- Dolby Volume
                                            - Airplay
                                            - Dolby IIz

Comment

• JoseS
                                              • Nov 2009

In order of priority:

First: HDMI switching speed please improve it for current owners. To have to upgrade the board for that is not acceptable.

Yes, +1 for me. By my count, it's about 11 or 12 seconds, much too long. Even half of that, and I'd be happy.

Fourth: Please give us the ability to have LED lights be turned off
                                              Or even just a display "OFF" setting to be added to the Brightness step settings. I have asked for this before and I know it can be done going deeper into the menu but hoping Classe can make it a bit easier.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                • May 2004

One more for the list.

The SSP-800 seems unwilling to accept an HDMI "audio" only signal.
                                                As an example the DVDO Edge have two outputs. One with both audio and video, and one with only audio. The idea behind that is that the image is improved as the overall data that needs to be transferred gets lowered this way. Especially of interest with HD audio and long/longer cables.

Now the same is also being applied for a lot of the new HDMI 1.4 blue ray players in order to be backwards compatible - meaning splitting the video 1.4 signal from an audio 1.3 signal.

When I say unwilling to accept, then that should be read as "will not under any circumstances"
                                                So I would argue this does need to be fixed no matter what..

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                  • May 2004

One more for the list.

Have media files that cannot be played with the SSP-800, although they do play fine with the Marantz AV8003.
                                                  I get no audio (not related to post above) if the file is encoded in DTS with 3F/2R and LFE with a sample rate of 48.000 and a bit rate of 1536 Kbit/s

Have also tried on an old Rotel that did the trick just fine.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                    • May 2004

One more:

On my configuration 2, that is setup as a 2.1 system I do experience dropouts in the music playback. It is not on the same CD's and not every time, but does happen at least a couple of times every couple of CD's.
                                                    Think is it somehow related to something that sounds like clipping. Now that should not be possible, but I know the problem have been there before..

My chain is CDP502 connected via coax to SSP-800 to CA-2200 to 802D...
                                                    Oh - and I am on firmware 2.04 on the SSP and the latest for both 502 and 2200.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                      • May 2004

I know a wish list is apparently not accepted, but I think the "standard input" function from all the CP's would be nice. Meaning that if I shut the unit of in surround mode with multiple power amps turned on via the trigger functions, then it would not automatically return to that input the next time I turn it on - but instead to another pre-selected input..

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                                        I know a wish list is apparently not accepted, but I think the "standard input" function from all the CP's would be nice. Meaning that if I shut the unit of in surround mode with multiple power amps turned on via the trigger functions, then it would not automatically return to that input the next time I turn it on - but instead to another pre-selected input..
                                                        I think we can send whatever requests and wishes we want. What Dave will do about it, is another matter.

But why would you want this function? Why not return to the last used input?

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                          • Jun 2009

One more:

On my configuration 2, that is setup as a 2.1 system I do experience dropouts in the music playback. It is not on the same CD's and not every time, but does happen at least a couple of times every couple of CD's.
                                                          Think is it somehow related to something that sounds like clipping. Now that should not be possible, but I know the problem have been there before..

My chain is CDP502 connected via coax to SSP-800 to CA-2200 to 802D...
                                                          Oh - and I am on firmware 2.04 on the SSP and the latest for both 502 and 2200.
                                                          This sounds to me like an actual problem with your system. Have you contacted your dealer or classe directly?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                            • May 2004

In regards to why I would want the "preferred input" then that has to do with the rest of the family. They just want to be able to turn it on and then use Sonos/listen to radio..

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                              • Sep 2008

The SSP-800 seems unwilling to accept an HDMI "audio" only signal. As an example the DVDO Edge have two outputs. One with both audio and video, and one with only audio. The idea behind that is that the image is improved as the overall data that needs to be transferred gets lowered this way. Especially of interest with HD audio and long/longer cables.
                                                              If the picture and sound are both present on the HDMI output feeding the display, thus carrying the same bitrate as usual, how does having a separate output "for audio" in any way alter the image quality on the display?

Also, you may be interested to know, according to Anchor Bay, that >>the second HDMI output only carries audio, with blank 720p video.<< So the "audio" HDMI does in fact have video (as it must in order to carry audio), and it is also worth noting that blank 720p video has exactly the same bitrate as live 720p video.

When I say unwilling to accept, then that should be read as "will not under any circumstances" So I would argue this does not to be fixed no matter what..
                                                              Could you clarify?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                • Sep 2008

Have media files that cannot be played with the SSP-800, although they do play fine with the Marantz AV8003.
                                                                I get no audio (not related to post above) if the file is encoded in DTS with 3F/2R and LFE with a sample rate of 48.000 and a bit rate of 1536 Kbit/s

Have also tried on an old Rotel that did the trick just fine.
                                                                I play DTS files from AppleTV just fine. What sort of device are you using to serve the file?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                  • May 2004

If the picture and sound are both present on the HDMI output feeding the display, thus carrying the same bitrate as usual, how does having a separate output "for audio" in any way alter the image quality on the display?

Also, you may be interested to know, according to Anchor Bay, that >>the second HDMI output only carries audio, with blank 720p video.<< So the "audio" HDMI does in fact have video (as it must in order to carry audio), and it is also worth noting that blank 720p video has exactly the same bitrate as live 720p video.

Could you clarify?
                                                                  Sorry, that was a typo. Should read "does need to be corrected"

Correct a 720P picture is included, but there is no bit fluctuations + is does require less than a full 1080P image.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2004

I play DTS files from AppleTV just fine. What sort of device are you using to serve the file?
                                                                    I play a lot of DTS fine - but look at the specific bit rate and sampling. That is why I included that information..

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2004

This sounds to me like an actual problem with your system. Have you contacted your dealer or classe directly?
                                                                      Yes, but since drop outs have been a problem in the past I wanted to include it here as well..

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2008

In regards to why I would want the "preferred input" then that has to do with the rest of the family. They just want to be able to turn it on and then use Sonos/listen to radio..
                                                                        Set up the Sonos to F1. Tell the family to select F1. It will turn on the SSP, the amps, and select the Sonos, all with the touch of one button.

If your family cannot be pursuaded to use the F1 button instead of the Power button, then you simply have to remember to select the Sonos before you turn it off. Same as remembering to put the toilet seat down when living with females. :lol:

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2008

I play a lot of DTS fine - but look at the specific bit rate and sampling. That is why I included that information..
                                                                          There is nothing special about those bitrates or sample rates. Those are the same as used on many DTS DVDs, and is the defacto standard for the core in DTS BDs. Do your DTS DVDs or BDs play fine--even the ones at 1.5 Mbps? If so, it has nothing to do with bitrate or sample rate, which is why I asked what device you are using to feed the files.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2008
                                                                            • 446

Sorry, that was a typo. Should read "does need to be corrected"
                                                                            Thanks for clarification. Have you reported it to Classe?

BTW, have you resolved the sub cal noise issue?

Correct a 720P picture is included, but there is no bit fluctuations + is does require less than a full 1080P image.
                                                                            How would bit fluctuations in CBR video be an issue for the audio?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 795

#39
                                                                              Thanks for clarification. Have you reported it to Classe?

BTW, have you resolved the sub cal noise issue?

How would bit fluctuations in CBR video be an issue for the audio?

It is all about bandwith. The idea is to be as far away from the maximum bandwith in order not to run into limitations based on cables, devices etc..
                                                                              Lots of info out there, no need for me to explain it here.. Or is there...?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2004
                                                                                • 795

#40
                                                                                Set up the Sonos to F1. Tell the family to select F1. It will turn on the SSP, the amps, and select the Sonos, all with the touch of one button.

If your family cannot be pursuaded to use the F1 button instead of the Power button, then you simply have to remember to select the Sonos before you turn it off. Same as remembering to put the toilet seat down when living with females. :lol:
                                                                                May be, but that does not change my requirement for it.
                                                                                I have a really tough time understanding why people have such a hard time accepting that even if something does not apply to you, that does not mean it does not apply to me. Or is all other people out there idiots that just wont learn to use the product the "right" way instead Of the intuitive way?

Comment

• wildtangent
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 50

#41
                                                                                  I have a really tough time understanding why people have such a hard time accepting that even if something does not apply to you, that does not mean it does not apply to me. Or is all other people out there idiots that just wont learn to use the product the "right" way instead Of the intuitive way?
                                                                                  First of all I think this is the wrong thread for this discussion. This is the thread for issues, requests and questions that will submitted to Classe. But before I sign off let me say this, you seem a little over sensitive to some of the advice and help that has been offered by other members of the group and you think that they are talking down to you or dismissing your issues. What I see is a willingness to on their part (with one or two notable exceptions) to help you get the most out of your system. The SSP800 has a very rich and powerful interface that may take a bit of time to customize but in the end it is worth it. I think you may benefit from their experiences if you’re willing to meet them half way.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

#42
                                                                                    can the second post be updated with everyones requests? Perhaps you could also include what post # you last used when you make the update so I know where to start off to stay current.

thanks,
                                                                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2009
                                                                                      • 504

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                      can the second post be updated with everyones requests? Perhaps you could also include what post # you last used when you make the update so I know where to start off to stay current.

thanks,
                                                                                      I'm a bit short of time today, but I promise to do it tomorrow.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 2109

#44
                                                                                        One more for the list.

The SSP-800 seems unwilling to accept an HDMI "audio" only signal.
                                                                                        As an example the DVDO Edge have two outputs. One with both audio and video, and one with only audio. The idea behind that is that the image is improved as the overall data that needs to be transferred gets lowered this way. Especially of interest with HD audio and long/longer cables.

Now the same is also being applied for a lot of the new HDMI 1.4 blue ray players in order to be backwards compatible - meaning splitting the video 1.4 signal from an audio 1.3 signal.

When I say unwilling to accept, then that should be read as "will not under any circumstances"
                                                                                        So I would argue this does need to be fixed no matter what..
                                                                                        It ain't the lack of video because:
                                                                                        1. there has to be video, even if it's a blue screen, as HDMI will not work without video signals.
                                                                                        2. my Ayre DX-5 has two similarly-described HDMI outputs and the SSP has no trouble with either of them.

Kal
                                                                                        Kal Rubinson
                                                                                        _______________________________
                                                                                        "Music in the Round"
                                                                                        Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                                                        http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by JoseS
                                                                                          Or even just a display "OFF" setting to be added to the Brightness step settings. I have asked for this before and I know it can be done going deeper into the menu but hoping Classe can make it a bit easier.
                                                                                          How?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"