X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classe4me
    • Dec 2007

Clubbed Classe or anti-Club Classe?

It blows my mind sometimes that here on this forum we have a bunch of people that share the same hobby, have some of the same components, are here to try (or at least should be) trying to help one another out. I might be sadly mistaken, but in my humble opinion there should be a camaraderie that just doesn't seem to exist here most of the time. Sometimes I get the distinct impression that this website could be called anti-Club Classe.

I respect the fact that not everyone here is superficial like me and and feels the need to have my source player to match or be every bit as sexy as my processor and my amp. I appreciate that people love Blu-ray and think that DVDs are archaic and almost as obsolete as a VHS tape. Even some think it's as obsolete as 8 track tapes. I will never argue that you cannot make your DVD on your $8500 MSRP (which I would NEVER pay) source player perform at the same level as a Blu-ray disc on a $300 player. What I can say is that from my seating position and on my plasma panel, I think my Classe CDP makes my very inexpensive DVDs look outstanding. Do those DVDs look as good on that panel if I queue up a Blu-ray disc and get up close and personal with it and A/B the DVD to the BR disc? We all know the answer to that.

Sure I am going to be able to count a lot more hairs on heads, see bigger pores on somebody's face, or see all of those faces instead of blurs in the background of whatever war epic you might be watching. The thing is, I don't watch my TV up that close and is does not minimize or make my viewing experience a disappointment when I choose to watch that DVD that I paid $4 for instead of that Blu-ray disc that I paid $25 for. It doesn't matter that I am comparing an $8500 player to a $300 player....MSRP mind you.

It's safe to assume that a person can buy a paint by number paint kit, paint it, and the picture look a heck of a lot more clear and identifiable than something Picasso painted that sold at Sothebys for $72 million dollars compared to the $1.97 paint by number kit that you bought at Wal-Mart. Does this mean that art collectors should not buy their multi-million dollar paintings, and instead put a nice frame on their paint by number painting? I hardly think so. Nobody is stupid enough to think that buying a high dollar piece of audio or video equipment in today's economy is going to be a real good investment but one thing for sure, buy it and when it comes time to sell it, it's going to have some value. How many high-end audio products do people buy and use a few years and when it becomes obsolete you toss it, or throw it in a yard sale for $10? What can a person buy a $400 (when new) VCR for now? What can somebody buy one of the first DVD players that they paid $1000 for now? We literally watch these components in plastic or stamped sheet metal become totally worthless. Does this mean they are bad or we shouldn't buy them of course not. Does this justify spending 20 times more for one audiophile brand of source player over a discount store model that will do the same thing, play discs? Not necessarily. It's all in what you want and what is important to you.

A Timex keeps much better time than any automatic swiss watch that costs thousands of times more but does this stop people from buying Rolex watches? I hardly think so.

Why do people pay an average price of about $70,000 for a Steinway grand piano (I used average because some people want a baby, some people want a parlor, and some want a concert grand) when they can buy a Korean piano for less than one tenth? They both have 88 keys and they both play music. They are both black and use the same principles to produce sound with hammers, strings, and a sitka spruce soundboard. They even have the same shape and from several feet away it could be quite to tell a difference in brand. Let's face it, if someone mentions a grand piano we get an image in our head and it's pretty consistent. When somebody mentions a set of speakers or an electronic component, you could conjure up thousands of different shapes, sizes, and looks.

I have a 14 year old Toyota Supra Turbo with a couple of thousand dollars worth of performance modifications will blow the doors off of almost any new Porsche you can buy today. Hell, I have an 07 VW GTI with several hundred dollars worth of modifications that can beat the pants off of several of those new Porsches. Does this mean that a Porschephile should not buy that Porsche or sell the one he's got because a $17-$20K used car will outrun it, in some cases out handle it, get better fuel economy, or go faster for a fourth or less of the money? I hardly think so. People buy that Porsche because it's sexy, it's legendary, it exudes class and quality, and it will always be worth something whether it be 5, 10, or 20 years down the road. Would I rather have a new 911 Turbo that the old Toyota or the little GTI? Hell yes I would! I just can't have it all as much as I'd love to.

We could all take the stand that the lower cost options are much more intelligent, fiscally responsible, and an all around much smarter choice because it will do the same thing as the high-end product, and in some cases will do it better. If we could take the difference in money spent if we opt for the low cost choice and invest it in whatever investment you feel comfortable with this day and age then there is absolutely no case whatsoever in buying the higher-end item.

On the other hand, I have never had anybody regret owning or buying the very best. I have seen in many cases, especially in the HVAC business some major regret from those people that opt for the off brand, builder model instead of the ultra-high efficiency, top of the line, name brand product that will be running 20 or 30 years from now. Even though in 20 or 30 years there will be more efficient and technologically advanced models available it will not make the ownership of the older unit a bad choice if it's doing the job, is reliable, and is affordable to operate.

From an investment standpoint, in almost all cases I can never justify to that homeowner that the new unit is an investment that will pay for itself. It's a matter of not just efficiency and operating costs, it's also a matter of comfort, reliability, durability, and peace of mind. If is wasn't for that then everybody would always opt for the cheaper, builder model because the initial outlay is cheaper. Problem is for the (shorter) life of that builder model you will never be as comfortable, and you will be putting larger checks in that envelope every month when you get your utility bill.

Whether it's the Classe source player, the Picasso, the Porsche, the Steinway, or the top of the line home comfort system. It's because we have choices. Sometimes it's so we can make a smart purchase, save money, be financially responsible, or prioritize. On the other hand, it might be because we appreciate that best, or the top of the line model because it's beautiful to look at, because it matches the rest of our collection, because it's what gives us a reason to go to work and work towards obtaining something we want, or because there is no guarantee that there will be a tomorrow to have what you really wanted in the first place.

There is no right or wrong here, there is not intelligent or stupid, there is no legitimate universally accepted formula that says which is the right choice or the wrong choice. This is about what we want, what we can have, what we don't want, what we can't have, and ultimately, it's about choice and that choice is yours and you can justify it any way you want to. Truth be told, there should never be a reason to justify buying or having what you want if it's your choice and you made it for whatever reason.

Choices and variety are what keeps this world from being a very boring and mundane place and there should be no argument, and by all means there should never be bashing or judging others. In a classy (no pun intended) forum like Club Classe it should be about supporting your fellow members of the forum, sharing in the fun and love of the hobby, and supporting their decisions for whatever reason they decided on whatever they chose.

Sermon over, just my 600,000 cents worth. Let the movie or the music play, may we all enjoy it in peace and comfort, may we be happy along the way, may we be thrilled with our choice or decision without fear of criticism and flaming.

Rodney King said it best, "can't we all just get along?"

I say Amen!
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

thats a lot of writing. honestly, my projector is only 720p. I think blu-ray is worth it for the audio quality upgrade over dvd alone... but I respect your reasons for stickin it out with DVD.

My curiosity comes when we, as a collective, are willing to spend top dollar on high-end equipment that delivers that finest audio and video performance, but go cheap and compromise on the source material. its kind like driving a mo-ped on the auto-bahn.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
      My curiosity comes when we, as a collective, are willing to spend top dollar on high-end equipment that delivers that finest audio and video performance, but go cheap and compromise on the source material. its kind like driving a mo-ped on the auto-bahn.
      Agreed!

It's perplexing, and it's something I just don't understand. People will spend thousands on amps, speakers, displays etc but not utilize the equipment thep spent all that money on to it's full potential. Perfect example, a friend of mine has a 60" Pioneer elite plasma. a 5.1 Totem speaker set up, driven by mac amps. He watches movies on a cheap Coby dvd player and it's "good enough" for him. Lossy audio and crappy video. Eh. I don't get it!
      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Classe4me
        • Dec 2007

thats a lot of writing. honestly, my projector is only 720p. I think blu-ray is worth it for the audio quality upgrade over dvd alone... but I respect your reasons for stickin it out with DVD.

I completely respect your statement and there are plenty of instances when it can come into play. By the same token, there are those times that same equipment is for 2 channel listening on a decent quality CD, a favorite DVD that might have an amazing DTS soundtrack, and even those cases of an old, old movie that is near awful quality but it's not available any other way and you can make the best of it and at least enjoy the equipment you are watching it on.

Keep in mind that I am not against Blu-ray, as I do have it, and I do use it on occasion. My biggest beef with Blu-ray is still the lack of titles that I know will eventually come, and the current (and hopefully soon to change) pricing structure. I think Blu-ray followed the same philosophy of video games. Sell the players cheaply, or in some cases, at a loss, but make you big money on selling the games for $59.95 each. JMHO, but I have always thought they lure you in with the console and maybe one game, you go out and pick up a couple for yourself and then you realize what you have invested and just keep going.

I think Blu-ray is a success, but I do think they overestimated what people were willing to pay for the discs. We have to think of what percentage of the population are we in when we pop these discs in and listen to them through tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. How many people in comparison watch on a fairly run of the mill TV, through the TVs speakers?

I know you are not criticizing me or my thoughts at all and always appreciate the total honesty that you have delivered. Rest assured no offense taken in any way.

I know that there are a lot of people here with the SSP-800 and plenty of those processors went out the door at MSRP because the dealers were not about to throw out the golden goose when people were willing to pay it. Anytime you want to be the first to have the newest and best technology you have to be willing to step up to the pump.

Generally speaking, how many people out there have that processor but are using speakers, source players, displays, and even bad acoustics that aren't getting anywhere near the potential out of the SSP-800? That might be a bad analogy but I think knowing the ratios could prove interesting as well.

I have no doubt that I will upgrade to the SSP-800 eventually, and it will do an even better job with my DVDs and possibly someday my expanding Blu-ray collection. Right now I really and truly enjoy putting those discs in that CDP, looking at it, tinkering with the GUI, enjoying the little things that the CAN-BUS system can do. Some people want the least amount of intervention possible and I kind of enjoy the hands on part (the tinkering side of me). As stated before, I view that setup as much a piece of art to look at as to listen to. Definitely the superficial side of me, but it is to please me and not intended to show off to others.

Everybody here also needs to keep in mind that I am very new to all of this and have so much more to learn. I think my system sounds terrific as it is with the SSP-600 and a good DVD. I am sure it will sound even better with an SSP-800.

One last thing I will add. It appears as though Blu-ray is here for quite a while and not likely to go anywhere until the next greatest thing is invented. I think it's fair to say that if Classe did decide to come out with a Blu-ray transport, which I realize they have stated all along that they won't, but IF they did, how many people here would pay ten to twenty times more for it than they would a PS3, a Sony, Samsung, or other average player from a big box store? I feel certain that if people will spend in the several thousands of dollars on processors, amps, certain source players, etc., that they will pony up for a Classe branded Blu-ray player. Even if they know that in a matter of a few years it's likely to become obsolete.

Look at all those old reel to reels that are still being sought after and used and how the popularity of vinyl has nearly exploded. To think how much money a person can tie up in a turntable, a cartridge, a special preamp or module to make their preamp phono capable, and how hands-on it is to queue up an LP or worse yet, skip to a certain track! It's all in the experience.

I am not trying to ask for acceptance for using my Classe CDP players, but rather have people understand why I make that choice. I didn't intend for my post to come across as a rant or anything other than perhaps a vehicle for the other people to step back, take a deep breath, and possibly even relate to why some of the member do what they do without criticizing or flaming them because they bought a processor that does not have the newest codecs installed yet, or they bought something that does not have HDMI, or they use something that is older technology, or they paid two or three or ten times more for whatever that they could get another device for that "can do the same thing."

I would just like to see Club Classe be a more friendly environment with a good support team, a camaraderie, and a place where people can feel good about their choices and their purchases without it being regarded as right or wrong. We are all motivated by a lot of the same reasons, but we are also at times motivated by totally different reasons.

Case in point, I had a Lexicon RV-8 that was an amazing sounding piece of equipment. I wanted Classe in the beginning but spent more than my budget on my Wilson Audio speakers. At the time when I bought the speakers I opted for a Rotel receiver. When they came to do the set-up on my speakers they pulled that massive RV-8 out and set them up. I was in heaven. After they got them voiced properly for my room they then brought in my Rotel I had puchased and hooked it up. Not to bash Rotel, but when they switched from that Lexicon to that Rotel it was daylight and dark difference. I thought I would croak! I did not want to buy a $7000 receiver even if it was half price. What I couldn't do is take those speakers and have them leave with a piece of equipment on them that made them sound like something made by Craig or Soundesign. I had no choice but to get out the American Express!

I had something that sounded fabulous but it STILL was not Classe! I knew I would never be happy until I had all Classe components. Well, the rest is history or right here to read about. I love it, I am ate up by it, and will be interested in what they will introduce down the road.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Oppo BDP 83 is coming end of March for the rest off us :B
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
            +1

I respect and would pay for build quality and design, but when you talk 1080p 24, and lossless audio via HDMI there is no such thing as one player being better then another for PQ and AQ.

Aside from that the Oppo is offering source direct, fast load times, great menu display, simply contemporary design and not a single drop of snake oil.

Comment

• Classe4me
              • Dec 2007

Congratulations on your impending Oppo purchase. I can't help but wonder who the "rest off us" includes?

Does this mean that there will be a new club Oppo and all of the new Oppo owners will not want to be hanging out on Club Classe any longer?

Kind of reinforces my theory on Anti-Club Classe.

I'll still be here enjoying my CDP players and the occasional use of my little Sony Blu-ray player and my very limited library of Blu-ray discs.

Comment

• planitismetal
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Classe4me
                Congratulations on your impending Oppo purchase. I can't help but wonder who the "rest off us" includes?

Does this mean that there will be a new club Oppo and all of the new Oppo owners will not want to be hanging out on Club Classe any longer?

Kind of reinforces my theory on Anti-Club Classe.

I'll still be here enjoying my CDP players and the occasional use of my little Sony Blu-ray player and my very limited library of Blu-ray discs.

:agree: +1

Comment

• Classe4me
                  • Dec 2007

I am the type of person who tries to practice the "never say never" philosophy. I'm glad I didn't say that I would never get into Blu-ray. My biggest issue with Blu-ray was the fact that I think that their pricing was too high. Now with the latest press releases, and perhaps even the economy, the people behind the scenes controlling the pricing have seen that the public is not going to buy them in huge numbers unless they come down in price. They are claiming perhaps a 40% drop. I think it will go below this in time. At that point I will be much more willing to expand my BR collection and hope that many of the titles that I love will be available. At that point I may wish to seek out the best Blu-ray player I can find. Until then I will use what I have and be happy with what I see and what I hear.

I know that is would be very easy for people to view my situation as being insane. I know that it's easy to wonder why on earth somebody is willing to spend the money on the equipment that I have but yet struggle with wanting to pay the price for BR discs at their current prices. In a lot of cases I can only tell a very negligible difference between the SD and the BR discs that I have of the same title and cannot see 3 to 6 times more difference in price to replace all of my DVDs that I have collected along the way.

I appreciate Sikoniko's analogy to me that it is akin to riding a mo-ped on the Autobahn. I realize I don't have to justify why I currently choose to watch mainly DVDs on my Classe players, but I will try to share a few thoughts: From the very basics we all no about GIGO; garbage in, garbage out!

I know that I would rather play my DVDs through my Classe components and my choice of speakers than to watch Blu-ray on a cheap monitor, with a home theater in a box. I honestly thought I had a fairly decent home theater setup before my home was burglarized with my Sony plasma (back when they sold them), my Definitive Technology Mythos 1s, 2s, center, and SuperCube, being pushed...maybe pulled??..with a lower end Denon receiver. I had no idea just how bad it must have sounded when movies that I watched and didn't care for suddenly became favorites when listening to them through a good quality system.

I'd rather have mid quality media playing through high-end equipment that the best media playing through low-end or cheap equipment. Do not mistake that comment as me saying that anybody's equipment is cheap or low-end. I can only speak for myself. I can only tell you how I think and what motivates me.

I can put any of my Alison Krauss or Margot Timmons with the Cowboy Junkies CDs in and I am in absolute heaven. I can put in a Disney Pixar movie on DVD or Blu-ray and be in heaven. Obviously when listening to a CD I don't have anything to look at on the monitor so I do admit that I enjoy just looking at how gorgeous the Classe Delta Series components look on their dedicated rack. Is this shallow and superficial, perhaps it is but it's part of my enjoyment of the hobby. When I had the Lexicon receiver and the Classe CDP-300 at that time, even though it sounded awesome to me, I couldn't stand how it looked on the Bell O' rack that I was using. All of those components with all of those different looks drove my O/C self bananas. I knew I would never be happy until I had my Classe stack that was what I wanted from the very beginning. Does this mean I will buy good looking equipment that sounds awful? Absolutely not. It does mean I will pay more for matching and high quality equipment and enjoy what I have and wait to see what looms out on the horizon for my future A/V purchases.

Everybody is raising their hands on being ready to pull the trigger on the Oppo BR player. Let's see a show of hands or "Plus 1s" that would buy a Classe Blu-ray player if they would come out with one. Even if it was considerably more expensive and had very similar specs I bet if everyone will be honest with themselves they would spring for the higher priced unit. Maybe not??

I don't have money to burn or throw away and have never considered myself to be wasteful person. My main hobby prior to this one was automobiles and I have spent and perhaps wasted a lot of money along that 30 plus year ride. Now due to health issues that keeps me at home quite a bit I have turned that interest over to home theater and higher-end A/V components. My justification to my wife for my somewhat expensive hobbies has always been that I don't drink, smoke, party, go bar hopping or night clubbing, I don't chase women (unless they chase me first, haha...kidding), I don't golf, I do go to expensive sporting events, I eat one meal a day, usually around midnight, and I don't have any expensive habits other than my toys. My kids are very expensive right now with cars and college but they will soon be out of the nest. I might spend my money foolishly on my equipment and am not realizing it's total potential but I will get there. I will move with technology at a slower rate than a lot of you that have been in this hobby for a long time. I am still very green and very naive about a lot of things, and know I have a whole lot to learn. I will be the first to admit that. I would only like for people to see my point of view and perhaps appreciate the fact that I enjoy what I do for various reasons that sometimes may differ from what others would do or what they think is an intelligent decision or a stupid one. As I have stated before, it all comes down to choice.

Why do people buy that new 911 Turbo, keep it for 6 or 7 years, drive it less than 20,000 miles, and sell it for 30 to 40% of what they paid for it? Did they get $80 to $100,000 worth of enjoyment out of that car depending on how it is equipped and what they paid for it? I really don't think so. The thing is, they could have had an old Corvette or Import, thrown down a few thousand in performance mods, had a car that would blow the doors off the Porsche and if and when they sold it would lose little or nothing.

My point here is there are thousands of people willing to pay the price for the Porsche and take the depreciation because even though they might now drive it or get their money's worth, it's out there in the garage for them to go out and look it, sit in, wax on, buy a few accessories for, and just know it's there if they want to get it out and drive it. Even if they don't drive it, it's knowing it's there. That is pretty much where I am on my system. It might now make the most sense, it might now be the most cost effective way to go, and I might not be getting out of it what it will and can do. The thing is, it's there if I want to do that or make the decision to go that route.

It would be much more smart to drive that Porsche every day, rain or shine, drive the hell out of it and push it to it's limits, and get your money's worth but how often does that really happen? How often do people utilize everything they have at it's fullest potential?

How many people here with the SSP-800 processors and much lower priced source players are using speakers that they think maximize the sound that an $8000 processor can provide? Does everybody that has an SSP-800 processor have their dream speakers? What is the correct pecking order for putting one's system together? Do you invest your money in the most speakers you can afford and then add your electronics from there? Do some buy the highest end electronics but yet cut themselves short on their speakers because they blew the budget on the electronics? Some buy a monster (not brand) display or monitor for the absolute best picture quality but put it with a home theater in a box.

My pecking order may be all jacked up but so far it has worked for me, I have lost very minimal money with careful buying and have made up what I've lost on learning the values of equipment and buying it cheap and selling it at current market value.

It's just a hobby, a way for me to enjoy my time at home, something to do, and something I am having fun with for the time being. If it becomes something that is a right or wrong, then I'll get out of it and do something else.

Sorry for the novel!

I won't condemn your choices and would hope that mine if not understood, are at least respected.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

What is the correct pecking order for putting one's system together? Do you invest your money in the most speakers you can afford and then add your electronics from there? Do some buy the highest end electronics but yet cut themselves short on their speakers because they blew the budget on the electronics? Some buy a monster (not brand) display or monitor for the absolute best picture quality but put it with a home theater in a box.
                    SPEAKERS spend the bulk of your dollars 70%
                    Electronics 28%
                    Cables 2%
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• btf1980
                      • Aug 2007

I'd rather have mid quality media playing through high-end equipment that the best media playing through low-end or cheap equipment. Do not mistake that comment as me saying that anybody's equipment is cheap or low-end. I can only speak for myself. I can only tell you how I think and what motivates me.
                      Why does your choice have to be on opposite ends of the spectrum? Why can't you play quality media on quality gear?

Also, your analogy with high performance cars is flawed. There are legal issues with using high performance vehicles on the streets to their full potential, especially in residential areas. It is dangerous, reckless and might put lives in danger. With A/V gear, not so much. Watching 1080p/24 movies and listening to lossless audio does none of those things, so it's pretty much a pointless juxtaposition. No one ever died, was maimed or thrown in jail from watching blu-ray and listening to DTS-HD MA. Using high perfomance vehicles to their maximum potential on residential streets and highways will have one of those end results.

You don't have to explain yourself or your habits. If you are happy, then that is fine. However, understand the nature of the beast. This is a forum with home theater enthusiasts. Naturally, they will gravitate towards the best media formats possible. Accept that.

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks.

Comment

• Classe4me
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                        Why does your choice have to be on opposite ends of the spectrum? Why can't you play quality media on quality gear?

Also, your analogy with high performance cars is flawed. There are legal issues with using high performance vehicles on the streets to their full potential, especially in residential areas. It is dangerous, reckless and might put lives in danger. With A/V gear, not so much. Watching 1080p/24 movies and listening to lossless audio does none of those things, so it's pretty much a pointless juxtaposition. No one ever died, was maimed or thrown in jail from watching blu-ray and listening to DTS-HD MA. Using high perfomance vehicles to their maximum potential on residential streets and highways will have one of those end results.

You don't have to explain yourself or your habits. If you are happy, then that is fine. However, understand the nature of the beast. This is a forum with home theater enthusiasts. Naturally, they will gravitate towards the best media formats possible. Accept that.

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks.
                        I do play high quality media on what I consider my high quality gear. What I don't do is determine that other media that I enjoy is garbage or unacceptable and/or have the thought that I should abandon it or throw it out when the newer and better media becomes available, if it becomes available in that title.

I also don't have the urge to hurl my Classe CDP-502 or 300 out the back door, use it as an anchor or paperweight, or sell it for 25 to 30 cents on the dollar because it doesn't play Blu-ray. If I want to play Blu-ray I play in on my Blu-ray player. When Blu-ray disc prices come down to a more fair and reasonable price then I will start buying more of them and will more than likely buy a higher-end player. What I won't do though if I still have my Classe components is sell my CDP player of choice and toss my DVDs.

This subject has been mostly about the opinion that a person is not being smart for utilizing a Classe CDP player. It might not be a 100% consensus but the bottom line is I am not willing to give up my CDP and removing it from my Classe rack/stack.

Are you stating that there are no DVDs with any soundtracks that you would label as quality? If not, that is sad that you are not able to enjoy DVDs on your system. I am not trying to be smart here, but do you also not consider tapes or vinyl to be quality either?

I know that I don't have the best system money can buy, but I know that the system I have allows me to enjoy watching my DVDs, and what I hear as sounding great. I also see as an excellent picture due to the players ability to upconvert the disc.

I have never stated that it is as good, and certainly not better than Blu-ray. I have stated however that it is nearly as good on the titles that I have compared back to back in my home on my system, at my viewing position.

You missed my point using the car as an analogy. I never referred to how the cars were or are driven, I was talking about ownership. I never said anything about breaking the law or speeding up and down the road. What I was inferring is that the cheaper vehicle can have the same level of performance, but people still enjoy the ownership of the Porsche even though they might not use it to it's potential. Why would anybody buy a Porsche or a Rolls Royce when a Subaru WRX STi or a Hyundai Genesis will still get you to point A to point B in a similar manner. The Porsche and the Subaru are not that far apart in performance numbers with acceleration, g forces on the skidpad, and stopping distances, and the $375,000 Rolls is not going to be that much different from a $50,000 V8 Genesis when I comes to ride quality, how quiet it rides, and how quickly it can get you there is you want to push it. What matters is which one you want to arrive in and where the valet is going to park your car.

If the source player quality is so bad on CDs and DVDs then how on earth did Meridian, Mark Levinson, Classe, Lexicon, and other manufacturers ever sell any of said players for several thousand dollars per player before they could buy $300 to $500 Blu-ray players?

I know what some of my components can do for the sound quality of Blu-ray discs. I also know what my system can do to my DVDs and CDs for sound quality as well.

Why is it so wrong for me continue to listen to and enjoy my perceived sound quality of my old format discs? It's as though people are trying to convince me that either it doesn't sound good or that I am wasting my quality equipment by playing DVDS on a Classe CDP.

I prefer a good filet mignon over most any other steak but I have eaten some very well cooked and seasoned sirloins that were much better tasting that a cheap, or incorrectly cooked filet.

Of course that's another analogy and my analogies keep getting misinterpreted.

It's about choice, it's about what a person likes, what a person has the ability to enjoy, and what a person chooses to enjoy. There are no laws that say I can't change my mind and change components as they evolve to fit my wants, tastes, and needs. By the same token, I might just choose to keep listening and watching exactly what I am doing now and actually enjoying it.

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

there is nothing at all wrong with classe cd players, they are excellent pieces of equipment, as with their cp700 2ch pre for instance which do a wonderfull job for 2ch. I dont think any of this stuff have lost their place in their audio capablity today.

this is a ht focussed forum I guess with those here with an obsessions with ht based solutions, and perhaps dont see the value in 2ch dedicated gear.

there are no rules indeed, even though I have what I think is decent multichannel system, I still also enjoy 2ch very much - some of it from source material going back 50 or so years long before people even knew what a blu-ray was !

so yeah nothing at all wrong with enjoying as you are, perhaps there are a few small minded about, with their blinkers on and can only see things from their perspective, but looks like you can see your own way, so each to their own I say
                          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• planitismetal
                            • Dec 2008

SPEAKERS spend the bulk of your dollars 70%
                            Electronics 28%
                            Cables 2%

If you don't have power cord, you will not get sound...
                            If you don't have speaker cables, you will not have sound!!! 2% is too low...
                            Try some different power cables and you can see the difference!!!
                            BUT, as "Classe4me" said, everything in life is about choices...

Originally posted by alebonau
                            this is a ht focussed forum I guess with those here with an obsessions with ht based solutions, and perhaps dont see the value in 2ch dedicated gear.
                            But everything has to do with 2 channel sound!!
                            Look, 25 years now the companies have made huge advertisments that cd is better than vinyl,
                            then dvd is better than cd, then bd is better than dvd...!!!
                            BUT (for me) the reality is that if you have a good turntable, the sound is much better than the best 24k cd!!!
                            But as you said, this forum is HT forum, so...

Comment

• Classe4me
                              • Dec 2007

I appreciate those who can agree that to each his own. And yes as this is a HT based forum, am I showing ignorance again when I say that part of home theater is the various things one can do with their home theater. I don't think there is one soul here that only watches movies exclusively. As I see it, at the movie theater the only choice is pretty much theater. When at home though, we have choices like DVDs, Blu-ray, an FM tuner, cable TV, DirecTV, CDs, network television, etc.

Am I mistaken to think that this is a place where we can come and talk about all the things we do with our home theater, and it doesn't have to exclude any particular sector of it? Hey, if we choose to hook up the old VHS player I hope that isn't committing a crime against the home theater community, even if it's not the most state of the art, highest resolution, lossless audio source available.

I enjoy this forum (most of the time), I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts, opinions, advice, hearing about their new equipment and toys, and hearing about their future aspirations and dreams, hearing speculation about what's coming out next, etc.

Personally I am happy for everybody here, happy when you get your new equipment, happy when you get to enjoy knowing that you made the right choice, and planning ahead for that next piece that puts you closer to having your dream system.

Sadly enough, when dealing with planned obsolescence we will likely never reach that HT nirvana that we strive for because like computers there will always be newer technology looming on the horizon. This is one of the reasons I can be content with what I have today because tomorrow it will be something different. Evolution of the machine if you will, but hey, it's all good!

Comment

• hd99yr
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by planitismetal
                                If you don't have power cord, you will not get sound...
                                I can't believe that a manufacturer of a $5k amplifier will purposely cut corners on sound quality by not including a power cord suitable for the job.

Someone in the power cord marketing world deserves a raise. Let all buy $50 power cords and have 50 year old home wiring with 5 outlets on the same circuit.

Just one persons opinion.................. And now back to our REGULARLY scheduled program :frypan:
                                " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• btf1980
                                  • Aug 2007

I do play high quality media on what I consider my high quality gear. What I don't do is determine that other media that I enjoy is garbage or unacceptable and/or have the thought that I should abandon it or throw it out when the newer and better media becomes available, if it becomes available in that title.

I also don't have the urge to hurl my Classe CDP-502 or 300 out the back door, use it as an anchor or paperweight, or sell it for 25 to 30 cents on the dollar because it doesn't play Blu-ray. If I want to play Blu-ray I play in on my Blu-ray player. When Blu-ray disc prices come down to a more fair and reasonable price then I will start buying more of them and will more than likely buy a higher-end player. What I won't do though if I still have my Classe components is sell my CDP player of choice and toss my DVDs.

This subject has been mostly about the opinion that a person is not being smart for utilizing a Classe CDP player. It might not be a 100% consensus but the bottom line is I am not willing to give up my CDP and removing it from my Classe rack/stack.

Are you stating that there are no DVDs with any soundtracks that you would label as quality? If not, that is sad that you are not able to enjoy DVDs on your system. I am not trying to be smart here, but do you also not consider tapes or vinyl to be quality either?

I know that I don't have the best system money can buy, but I know that the system I have allows me to enjoy watching my DVDs, and what I hear as sounding great. I also see as an excellent picture due to the players ability to upconvert the disc.
                                  No one is telling you to hurl your legacy players into the trash or not to enjoy the media in any format. Do what you want. I never stated DVDs, CDs or LPs offer no value. My extensive vinyl collection can attest that I do enjoy the music, and they are indeed quality imo. You extrapolated that out of thin air. That is not my position at all.

However, in the realm of home theater, blu-ray is the highest quality we have now. Does that mean you should toss your classic movies on DVD? No. Many films I like are only on DVD. But, going forward if a movie is released on DVD and blu-ray simultaneously, then yes I will buy the BEST version available.

People who complain about the prices of blu-ray discs are not savvy shoppers. If you just go to your local B&M store, then yes they are expensive. However, with all the sales on the web these days, it boggles my mind why people are still paying $30+ for movies. Outside of boxsets, my blu-ray movie purchases have been between $8-$16 on average from stores like amazon, tower, J&R etc.

Also, netflix and blockbuster have blu-ray rentals. I pay $16 a month for a 3 movie out plan from BB.

Anytime I hear complaints about the cost of blu-ray media, I just :Z

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by btf1980
                                    Also, netflix and blockbuster have blu-ray rentals. I pay $16 a month for a 3 movie out plan from BB.

I think you make a good point here. Its easy to complain about BD costs, but I remember when VHS was $70 for a title and the only way to really buy movies was to go through something like columbia house.

DVD brought on the advent of collecting. I'm guilty of it. I wish I could go back to renting 75% and buying 25%. Instead, I buy all the movies I watch.

Its still cheaper than going to the theater for my wife and myself though and I believe my system is better than what the theater can do. I only go if I'm compelled to watch something on IMAX or 3d (have you seen the previews for UP?).
                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Classe4me
                                      • Dec 2007

There are a lot points made, and a lot of points taken. As I have said in the beginning, it is about choices. Now we are seeing it broken down to choices between buying BR discs as a B & M store, buying them through discount sources, even buying used or whatever on eBay and such, and then of course rentals like Netflix or BB.

I am like Dan and like to buy my own titles and have enjoyed amassing a respectable collection of DVDs and I am slowly adding to the BR library as well. I know that we are all different and have different ideas, ideals, and different goals here. I am a bit quirky and passionate about a lot of things...can certainly be interpreted as O/C but that's okay, I am fine with that. While some watch a movie and are content and may never watch it again, some that may watch it every year or two, and then you have me, a movie that I flip over and I can watch it 2 or 3 times in a week if I am in the mood for that particular genre of movie. I think Netflix as awesome even though I am not a member. With O/C typically comes ADD. When something pops in my head I want to do it now. If I don't then I will forget about it and move to something different. It's a lot of fun and fulfilling for me to walk over to my rack and peruse through and find something that matches my mood for the day. Better yet on weekends I will watch several things that match my mood! I can't begin to tell how many times I have watched Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2 in sequence in the past 18 months. I don't think I can count that high! I just enjoy having my own movies and Dan is dead on when he said you can buy a disc for less than going to the movies. I also concur that my system sounds better, I have cleaner restrooms, a pause button, a lot more snacks at a fraction of the cost, and my popcorn is fresh and hot and not poured out of a plastic bag that was popped last week 50 miles away.

I love talking the talk, learning, getting tips, ideas, opinions, etc. The only thing from the onset that bothered me was the bashing of older, and expensive in it's day equipment that I still love and still use. Who of us here hasn't had a $200 to $400 VHS player? What is it worth today and how does it look and sound compared to our DVDs and BR discs? Thing is, if we have a movie we dearly love in VHS format only, what are we to do? I did hide my VHS player in the closet and doubt it will see use again, as it doesn't quite look real good with the rest of my equipment but I can plug it into the side inputs if I ever find an old tape that I just have to watch.

I think it's nice to see and read what other people like and enjoy, all the various forms of media that we all try to make the best with and attempt to bring out the best sound in it as possible.

I know this isn't a perfect world and there will always be varying opinions but this is more like what I think these posts should be.

I feel the camaraderie!

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

I think you make a good point here. Its easy to complain about BD costs, but I remember when VHS was $70 for a title and the only way to really buy movies was to go through something like columbia house.

DVD brought on the advent of collecting. I'm guilty of it. I wish I could go back to renting 75% and buying 25%. Instead, I buy all the movies I watch.

Its still cheaper than going to the theater for my wife and myself though and I believe my system is better than what the theater can do. I only go if I'm compelled to watch something on IMAX or 3d (have you seen the previews for UP?).
                                        I agree I never bought a VHS until they were substantially discounted and cost $19!! And I only bought five or six Except for Disney

I too wished I could go back to buying 10% of my DVDs and renting the rest I have 600DVDs at $15 each that is $9000 I could hve bought the SSP-800 8O

So now I buy only very selected Blu Ray primarily Sci Fi after I rent them and I wait until they are less that $18 on Amazon I refuse to pay $25.

3D makes me nauseated no thanks

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by hd99yr
                                          I can't believe that a manufacturer of a $5k amplifier will purposely cut corners on sound quality by not including a power cord suitable for the job. Someone in the power cord marketing world deserves a raise. Let all buy $50 power cords and have 50 year old home wiring with 5 outlets on the same circuit. Just one persons opinion.................. And now back to our REGULARLY scheduled program :frypan:
                                          THE CABLE RIP-OFF THANKS TO KIMBER, MONSTER, TRANSPARENT and all the other :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"