X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huskerduck
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

PS2 adventure at Toys R Us

The wife and I went to Toys R Us today to get all the Neices and nephews Christmas stuff and I wandered back to the Video Game section out of curiosity if they had the PS2, well they had 2 of 20 (2 hours earlier) the catch was you had to pay $854.00 for a PS2 bundle (extra controller, 2 mem cards , steering wheel, DVD controller, Link box , 4 PS2 games of choice and 2 PSgames of choice and 2 DVDs of choice and I think other stuff as well
    Looks like they are going to make the best of a good situation as everyone on Ebay is as well
    Did I buy it? Ill tell ya , I really thought hard about it but $850 for a video game kept bouncing around my noggin and I was going to buy it and Ebay it but they have been going for $500 there so I had to pass
    I think I should have got it anyway and tried a last minute local sale.
    From what Ive seen from demos so far the Dreamcast looks better anyway , atleast via a VGA box to an HDTV its 480P so I would have just done it for resale and been stuck with all the extra "stuff"

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
    Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

As an employee of Toys R Us I feel obligated to fill in the blanks here. We decided to do exactly what our competition is doing: creating a bundle for the PS2.

The thinking is that a bundle deal will ensure that the people who really want one won't mind spending the extra $$ on the bundle. In other words, hardcore gamers will pay while grandma and grandpa will likely pass.

That said, the store you visited isn't following the corporate bundle strategy. The bundle is only supposed to be the PS2 unit ($299) and two games ($49 each). The 2 memory cards, extra controller, steering wheel, DVD movies, etc. are not a corporate mandate. The store you visited is just being aggressive (or greedy depending upon your viewpoint).

I'd like to know where that store is located. I assume by their allotment of PS2's (20) that it's a middle sized city. Your profile doesn't list your hometown.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

From what Ive seen from demos so far the Dreamcast looks better anyway , atleast via a VGA box to an HDTV its 480P
      Certainly the VGA adapter is very nice but resolution doesn't make games better.

I'm not claiming the initial batch of PS2 games are better than the Dreamcast library (FAR from it!). I just want to ground any talk of graphics making one system better than another.

If, however, we decide to discuss the graphical abilities of these two systems the Dreamcast is certainly holding its own right now. And that's the key, it's holding it's own right now. The future will not be so kind to the Dreamcast. Skilled developers will begin display their firm grasp on the PS2 within the next 6 months. The Dreamcast will certainly improve as well but it just doesn't have the headroom the PS2 does.

Frankly, Sony needs to start showing some serious graphics in the 6-month time frame...as Microsoft and Nintendo consoles will be very near their release.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Huskerduck
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

Sili it was Salem OR which is small to mid for sure and as far as graphics vs game play I think the little I play games Ive seen Both from Sega DC, the few Games that come to mind are Jet grind , Eccho, NFL2K1 actually most sports, and MDK2 ....what are Sonys PS2 "preimere" games as of now? does the PS2 do 480P as well?

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"