X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Kowerchuk
    • Sep 2000

Game Review: Samba De Amigo

Sometimes, when I hear the madness surrounding the PS2, I just have to chuckle. Essentially, what the PS2 does, the Sega Dreamcast has been doing for well over a year now. Let's face it - the PS2 is not THAT better than the Dreamcast - it may be slightly superior, but the fact that the PS2 does not do anti-aliasing pretty much negates any extra polygon-pushing-prowess it may have. The fact that the PS2 is backwards compatible with the thousands of PSX games available is hardly comforting either. Yeah, so what if there are a LOT of titles. I don't want QUANTITY, I want QUALITY. Afterall, it's all about the games...

Still, this is not meant to be a PS2 bashing review. I acknowledge the PS2 and wish it every success. But for now, I have my Dreamcast and I am damn happy with it. Why? Because I now have a copy of SonicTeam's awesomest title ever - Samba De Amigo.

It's games like this that we need more of. I've seen enough first person shooters and racing games to last me a lifetime. It's time to move on and harness the power of these gaming systems to give us a new experience. Samba De Amigo does that and more!

So what is this game all about? It's about playing the Maracas. The game is fundamentally extremely simple and you'll be playing in minutes, but it can get very challenging, which guarantees many, many hours in front of this wicked title.

Basically, you must play the maracas as the mexican-ish music plays. There are three maraca positions for each hand - low, normal and high. There is a coloured circle on the screen corresponding to each of these positions for the left and right hands. As the music plays, little blue balls approach these circles and you must shake those maracas when the blue balls land in the circles. Dead easy to play.

Incidentally, you can play this using the controller. Setting the controller type to Type B is very playable. However, for maximum enjoyment - and if you intend on playing this game at a party, like it was meant to be played - you should buy the optional maracas. Using the maracas will force you to get up and jive to the music and generally look like an idiot.

Back to the game....the main playing mode is called Arcade and it consists of two stages. You get to choose your height and the level of difficulty. Finally, choose the song you want to play to and then the fun starts! The game rates you constantly as you play, grading you on a scale from E to A. In addition to playing the maracas correctly, you will also be asked to "Strike A Pose" at certain points in the song. A stick man will appear and you must mimic his pose in order to gain more points.

All the while this is happening, the wonderful music is pumping in the background, getting you in the groove. Initially, you have a choice of about six latin-influenced songs, including the Ricky Martin stalwart Livin' La Vida Loca, as well as the Macarena, La Bamba and a host of other totally cool grooves. If you play the challenge mode and succeed, you can unlock even more songs, including Tequila and Soul Bossa Nova.

In addition to the music, there's a whole party going on on the screen. The graphics in this game rock and are asbolutely stunning to look at - though if you're the one playing the maracas you won't have much time to look at them. The game's main character, Amigo, will be rocking in the background with his maracas. But it's not just him - everyone in town seems to be getting in on the act, including some elephants and even the buildings, trees and old Mr. Sun himself. As your rating climbs towards A the graphics reach a feverpitch of psychedelia, adding to an already intense gaming experience.

In addition to the standard Arcade mode, there is also a Challenge mode which, as mentioned above, allows you to unlock additional songs and basically lets you fine-tune your maraca-playing skills. There are also some fun mini-games to try out as well. Surprisingly, this is quite a deep game with lots to explore.

The games themselves don't last much longer than a minute, which makes this a perfect party game. Everyone will get a chance to look their silliest as they play those maracas.

The graphics get an A+ rating and so does the sound. They both complement each other perfectly. Gameplay is also top-notch as it is easy to learn but difficult to master.

Once again, Sega has succeeded in creating an AAA title for their Dreamcast. This is the kind of game we need more of - it is a refreshing change from what is generally a ho-hum videogame market. So get Samba De Amigo - and those maracas - and get all your friends together for a rockin' good party, Sega style. Ole!
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Jeff,

Only a true gamer would plunk down the $70+ for Samba De Amigo. I'm impressed.

It looks like a great game -I only wish they were able to bring the price down so more people could experience it.

I'm sure you know the PS2 can do anti-aliasing in software. Of course, anti-aliasing does a great job removing the "jaggies" but it really doesn't have much to do with the ability to display more polygons. The Dreamcast can certainly push a healthy number of polys but it really cannot compete with the potential of the PS2. Once developers spend enough time with the system it will no doubt begin to show its stuff.

If you compare the PS2 and Dreamcast versions of DOA 2 (the only really fair comparison right now) you'll see a pretty real difference. Both use anti-aliasing but the characters in the PS2 version are using about double the number of polygons compared to the Dreamcast version. While the PS2 is drawing those extra polys and anti-alising the jaggies (in software) it's also putting on a great show with the impressive dynamic lighting not seen in the Dreamcast version. Maybe the designers just spent more time with the PS2 version?...maybe this is the first sign of the PS2 out performing the Dreamcast? -I don't know.

I do know the difference isn't great enough to make me choose one system over the other. I'm happy with both right now. I have a feeling I'll be VERY happy with my Dreamcast when Shenmue arrives!

-Camp

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
      • Sep 2000

There is NO excuse not to buy this game. Yes, it is expensive, but it is not unattainable. For the price of 2 DOA2's, you can buy Samba De Amigo. And you know you'll be buying at least two more games in your lifetime, so get this instead. You have NO excuse!

Let's face it, you'll eventually shelve that copy of DOA2 when DOA3 or the next latest and greatest fighter comes out. But it's been done before. There's nothing new here. Maybe a nice new cosmetic package, but at it's heart it's the same, very tired, formula.

Spend a bit more and get Samba De Amigo and get a game that will never be shelved, for it is truly unique and will provide countless more hours of fun than any silly fighter ever will.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

sounds like an interesting "game" jeff...some how the thought of you dancing in the HT room makes me giggle

Comment

• Joey Millison
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Excellent review Jeff! It seems like DC is continuing to break the "this game is exactly like the last" software releases with titles like this, Seaman, and a few others. Good to hear!
          Thanks for the insight, and for arousing the ol' curiosity, heh. I must now go to IGN to see this interesting game of yours!

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Spend a bit more and get Samba De Amigo and get a game that will never be shelved, for it is truly unique and will provide countless more hours of fun than any silly fighter ever will.
            Jeff, I was only using DOA 2 as the only fair comparison of graphics between the two systems. I did not mean to compare the fighting genre to Samba de Amigo. I actually dispise fighters.

My point about the price of Samba de Amigo seems to have been miscommunicated as well. I simply meant that the game, no matter how wonderful it is, will not sell in the numbers it deserves at the current price point. It's a shame that a groundbreaking title like this won't be experienced by more people. Let's face it, Samba is the kind of game that could turn a lot of non-gamers into fanatics.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
              • Sep 2000

Sili:

Re: DOA2 vs. Samba - I realize you weren't trying to compare the two, but the point is that you should. DOA2 is a fighter - and how many of those have we seen? The fighting genre is old and tired...we need to create some new genres.

Re: the price. It is a sad comment on our gamers that this title will not sell more. Here we have a truly unique and awesome game, that sells for the price of two games. What will most people do? Decide it's too expensive and end up buying two other games - probably some rehash of a very tired genre. People have the money, but they will choose to spend it on the same old same old anyway.

Luckily Sega has chosen to bring games like this to the market and no doubt they will continue to in the future.

Andrew: Just for that comment I'm gonna make you have a go at the maracas myself!

Joey: This title is a must-have, it's that simple.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

If thats what it takes to keep you happy and the TV coming my way I'll dance for you...wait that didn't come out right, I'll play with you and your silli toy..opps that no better...okay I'll grab your maracca's and make them sing...oh never mind

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
                  • Aug 2000

Oh my....How can you tell that the snow has finally fallen upon us up here in Winnipeg!?!? Andrew, you really want Jeff's TV that bad, eh? Hopefully Jeff is into that kind of stuff.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                  Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!
                  Jeremy Santos

My Software
                  Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"