X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merc
    • Nov 2000

PS2 accessory backward compatibility?

I have a new PS2 which I will be giving to my kids for Christmas and also using as a DVD player for my secondary HT. We plan on playing mostly PS2 games, but also will be playing Spyro the Dragon(my 5 yr old son's favorite) and Tony Hawks pro skater 2. So far, I've bought another Dual shock 2 controller, a PS2 memory card and a Saitek DVD remote. I plan on buying a multi-tap and maybe another two dual shocks to allow for a four player environment. Now for the questions:
    Do I also need to consider buying additional PS2 memory cards?
    Do I need to buy PS1 memory cards to save any PS1 games we play?
    Will the multi-tap work with PS1 games too?
    Do I have to buy the Monster Cable analog plus S-Video cable AND a Digital Optical Cable in order to use the S-Video and Digital Connections? Is there a single cable which includes only Digital and S-video connections?
    Thanks for your help!

Take Care,
    merc
    Take Care,
    merc
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Great questions Merc! and welcome to htguide.com man!

I haven't a clue about your questions. Hopefully, our gaming moderators might.

I really don't believe the PS2 exists. I sure haven't seen one. lol.

Lex

Comment

• merc
      • Nov 2000

Hey Lexman!
      So this is where you've been hiding out... Thanks for the welcome. Last I talked to you, I was shopping for some Mirage M series speakers and was considering driving to Tennessee to pick some up which you located. Hope you are doing well!

Take Care,
      merc
      Take Care,
      merc

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Oh hi merc! Thanks for the rousing hello. Welcome to htguide.com! Hope you enjoy the forum and frequent it often. This is indeed my hangout now. :B

Of course, if another gamer knows the answers merc is looking for, please jump in here.

Lex

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

Merc,

I think I can answer most of your questions:

Do I also need to consider buying additional PS2 memory cards?

It certainly couldn't hurt. I'd recommend waiting untill you need a second card. Remember, the PS2 cards are a full 8MB (the original memory cards were something like 128KB).

Do I need to buy PS1 memory cards to save any PS1 games we play?

Yes. Every PS1 game I've tried requires a PS1 memory card to save. Keep your old memory cards if you're going to be playing any legacy games.

Will the multi-tap work with PS1 games too?

I haven't tried it but it certainly should.

Is there a single cable which includes only Digital and S-video connections?

Nope. If you look at the back of your unit you'll see that the video out uses a proprietary design (it incorporates the analog audio out as well). The digital optical out is a separate (yet standard) out altogether.
          Even if someone made a "all-in-one" cable it would need to plug into each separate output.

I hope this helps,

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• merc
            • Nov 2000

Hi Sili,
            Thanks for the help!
            It is good to see you again too. I can't remember if we last conversed on an auto sound, home theater or computer forum/newsgroup, but it has been awhile. OR, maybe it is just the first forum that has allowed us to use our online names instead of our real ones. Nonetheless, this is my first console game but I've been an avid PC gamer for years including stints of beta testing for a couple of game companies. I did not ever own a PS1 but my 5 year old son talks of nothing else but Spyro, so I went and bought a PS1 memory card for about $10. I also now own other than a PS2, 3 additional dual shock 2s (I'm not sure how many I'll end up returning), a multitap, an 8Mb PS2 memory card, a Saitek DVD remote, an A/R S-video/analog audio cable set for the PS2 and an in-house optical digital cable which I had sitting around. Am I missing something? Is there really any need for a horizontal base for the PS2? What game(s) is an absolute must have for the early releases?
            Thanks for your help!

Take Care,
            merc
            Take Care,
            merc

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

merc,

It is interesting how we all "recognize" one another in different forums. I hope persistant online games of the future will bring a similar level of social intercourse to the masses.

You've got quite a PS2 collection!! I'd estimate you've spent around $500 on hardware alone! Cool!!

I like your choice of the Saitek remote. It's my favorite because they kept the PS2 "look" to the design.

I have the vertical stand. I was a bit upset when I found out it was sold separately. $15 for a chunk of blue plastic seems outrageous but it just looks so damn cool! It serves no function whatsoever -the unit will stand verticaly on its own.

If you're a football fan, Madden 2001 is a must buy. That said, SSX is the best game available on the PS2. I've never been a fan of snowboarding games but this one has totally taken over my life. It's a tremendously deep action racer that should not be missed. I look forward to Wipeout, Square's "The Bouncer", and a new Star Wars game (the title escapes me at the moment). All three of those AAA titles are scheduled to be released before Christmas.

Good luck,

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"