X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidY
    • Aug 2000

Dreamcast vs. PS2

Yesterday, on an impulse, I ordered a PS2 Sports bundle (SSX, hockey and football). Today, I am having second thoughts about this buy vs. the Sega Dreamcast. I am not a big time gamer. Actually, I would probably still be happy with my Super Nintendo except that it's now broken. I guess that I got caught up in a post-Xmas buying frenzy. What to do?

My only experience with the latest gaming consoles is my brother's Nintendo 64. It's pretty good, but I don't think that it's going to be around for too much longer. I want a gaming console that will at least last me a year, maybe two. Will the Dreamcast last that long? I know that PS2 will be, but however there aren't many games for it yet.

Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I have been out of the loop for a while now.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dave
  • Joey Millison
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dave,
    No need to apologize, it's not been talked to death We're definitely here for any questions that may arise, no matter what the question may be
    In my opinion, I think the Dreamcast will definitely be around for the next two years. In fact, I just sold mine, and am a bit bummed about it, as all of the good games are now starting to come out for it. The graphics are great, there are some cool games on the way, and with the release of the PS2 the Dreamcast will probably come down in price very soon (if it hasn't already)! A lot of people are selling their Dreamcasts for a PS2, so you can probably get a used one even for around $100(US). If you're just looking for a good gaming system that won't disappear within the next two years, and want something a little less expensive than the PS2, I'd definitely at least give the Dreamcast a chance
    Hope that helps! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions

Hasta!
    J6P

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

The Dreamcast is a great value. You really can't go wrong with it.

That said, the PS2 is where the cutting edge software will land. More developers are spending big production money on making PS2 games. The games everyone will be talking about will be PS2 games.

The Dreamcast has Sega's talented teams and that's about it. Kmart just dropped the Dreamcast from their inventory. I expect more retailers will do the same when Microsoft's Xbox (and possibly Nintendo's Gamecube) arrive later this year. It's my opinion that consumer support and business changes at Sega will make 2001 the last year for the Dreamcast.

Unless Phantasy Star Online can save them.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• DavidY
        • Aug 2000

Just cancelled my PS2 order. It looks like a Dreamcast for me. No more impulse buying for me.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Comment

• DavidY
          • Aug 2000

I had checked out all the local video game shops that rent out video games. Guess what?!?! They don't support DC or PS2 (yet)....only PS1 and N64...and tons of it.

After further consideration of the main issues including the ongoing troubles of Sega (as noted at another HT forum), I had purchased a N64 system with 2 good games (Perfect Dark and Turok 2). The system was sale priced at US$65. PD and T2 were priced at US$35 and US$20, respectively. Too good of a bargain to pass up. Should last me until the upcoming video wars between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are somewhat settled....hopefully.

Dave

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"