• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

HD-DVD news

Microsoft WMV 9 Gets Nod for HD-DVD
    The DVD Forum has approved the popular Microsoft Windows Media Video (WMV) 9 format as a mandatory technology for any device seeking the high-definition DVD (HD-DVD) logo. In other words, to use the logo, next-generation DVD players and other DVD-playback devices must support WMV. This move is a huge coup d'etat for Microsoft, which is trying to get its video and audio formats accepted as industry standards, and for consumers, who'll be able to purchase more advanced DVD movies in the future as a result.

• Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnteresting...... gives me a warm fuzzy since I just ordered T2: Extreme Edition for something like $10 from Deep Discount DVD.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Glen
      • Dec 2003

That's good to know. They should be able to stick with using red lasers for HD-DVD then ( instead of resorting to using blue lasers). With the high failure rate of red lasers (vs the cd's infared laser ) - I can only imagine the blue laser failure rate being much worse. Also, it'll also mean more of a software change to future DVD players to be HD-DVD compatible - rather than re-engineering the hardware side.

Thanks for the update Andrew.

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

The only problem is that it takes tremendous computing power to play the HD-DVD material using windows.

I have a 2.8Ghz system with 1G RAM, and a new high speed video card, and it still drops frames at only 1280 X 1024p resolution.
        It looks great, but there needs to be a performance leap in PC speed (or a quick drop in prices) before it works anything like regular DVDs.
        But this is clearly part of Microsoft's plan, to be hardware and software upgrade dependent. :?

Plus the registration process is awkward and intrusive. The MPAA is REALLY trying to button down HD-DVD, which has successfully delayed it's true introduction for about 4 years (so far). :x

-Dean.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
          • Feb 2002

Not sure if this great news or not. Basically Micro$oft will be getting royalties on every HD-DVD sold since it has to meet the standard.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

I have no problem with Microsoft getting the royalties. They put a lot of effort into producing the codec they should be rewarded for a job well done, they've obviously made the best case to the forum (or they greased the right pockets )

I echo Dean's concern on the hardware requirements. This will require some interesting dedicated decoder chips. Mind you, a DVD Player tuned for DVD Play-back only is a little different than a PC that is playing back DVD's and running an O/S.

My problem with HD-DVD9 is that it's a low bandwidth format. Pushing the limits of compression. I would have preferred a higher bandwidth format that would allow for less compression in Audio and Video.

In other words, start with a larger pipeline and go from there, rather than squeeze every last ounce of blood out of an older, low-bandwidth technology.

Blu-ray would have required greater cost for producers but in the long run we would have benefitted more.

The flip side is that HD-DVD will probably come-in sooner, at a more reasonable up-front cost. As technology progresses and prices drop, Blu-ray may see the light of day again but in a way that wouldn't hit producers and manufacturers so hard in the pocket to re-tool their production lines.

As display technology precision continues to evolve, I wonder how soon before people are complaining about the limitations of the Microsoft (compression) codec in terms of visual acuity?

i.e: DVD looks great on my 32" curved tube. I doubt HD-DVD looks THAT much better (might even be imperceptible) .

Projectors, Plasmas and DLP are advancing forward and dropping in price, and as they do...screens are becoming bigger...it MAY (I stress may) not be long before we see the limitations of this compression codec.

Time Will Tell.

"A RONSTER!"
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Definitely very interesting... for better or for worse though...?

I think it's great they're embracing a more efficient codec however I still hope they'll apply it to new technology as well as Gordon touched upon. Otherwise I'd view it as more of a "band-aid" than a solution. I agree with his sentiments that if we're going to make a change, I'd rather see them utilize the larger pipeline and maximize it's possibilities with the better codec rather than just relying on the codec to do the work. Other wise we'll just end up upgrading again a few years from now...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"