What can we expect from the new Sherwood Newcastle universal DVD players?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

What can we expect from the new Sherwood Newcastle universal DVD players?

Here's some links with information on the upcoming DVD players from Sherwood Newcastle:

SD 860, should be available next week: http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_sd860.html

SD-871, should be available next moth:

Audioholics CES information with unit pictures:
    Sherwood America showed off two new Universal CD/DVD players both capable of full playback of DVD-A and SACD discs. The new models,…

Both are universal players with some nice specs. I like that they both have 7.1 analog outputs, although I'm wondering how those are implemented. The 871 adds some more features and an HDMI output. Interestingly, the 860 specifies that it plays WMA ***AND*** WMV, but the 871 just WMA. If either one does play WMV, I wonder how this would work, which version of WMV it would play, if it would include WMV-HD, (I doubt it) etc.

Here's my question--those people that have Sherwood Newcastle products, especially current DVD players, what do you think we can expect from these new players? Based on past SN performance, how are these going to turn out? Good build quality? Great audio? DVD-A/SACD performance? Quality video performance?

Or is this going to be a crapshoot, with a manufacturer venturing into a new area of production that could turn out to be a dud? I realize this is all speculation, of course. I've heard a bit about Sherwood Newcastle's reputation, but never owned or even demoed any of their products so I'd like to hear from others.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Chris (and all):

I have a call into S-N from yesterday to get more info for us all. This will be S-N's first foray into a universal player with it's brand name on it but one should know, they actually either design and/or build units for other companies (some that would actually surprise you) so in a sense, this isn't their initial run at a product such as this. Having sold a number of various S-N products since I commenced Next Level and the fact I have a S-N showroom, QC issues are zilch (problems that is), build quality is quite superb, and performance is impeccable. I have one of their lower-end cd/dvd carousels currently in my S-N showroom and and even that unit produces incredible pictures over component cabling. Their customer service is stellar and Jeff Hipps (referred to in the link article you provided) is well-known over at AVS. Whenever I have had questions of him, regardless of time of day or day or week, he responds swiftly and is an all around prince of a guy.

I will attempt to get nailed down the question about why the 860 does wma & wmv where as the upscale unit, the SD-871 only does wma. As far as 7.1 analog outputs you only use 5.1; ARCAM's dvd players and pre/pro do this too --- it is a futuristic build in the event multi-channel analog becomes available in 7.1 vs. 5.1.

I have had a host of customers experience my S-N showroom and to a person, they are blown away by how incredible these products perform. One such person is an HT Guider, tmueller. Hopefully he'll chime into this thread as to what he heard while listening to my S-N line-up.

I'll be back in touch with answers as soon as I receive them. In the meantime one thing I can assure everyone is that neither of these units will be a "dud". They will not only complement a S-N line-up but any others as well.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Cool, these look interesting. On the 7.1 analog outputs, the rear 2 channels would be inactive at this time then? High-end Onkyo and Integra players have a 7.1 analog output selectable that just duplicates the side surrounds into the rear surrounds. Just curious.

You the man, Jimmy.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"