X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

PC Won't Start

Well my PC will not start windows for some reason. This morning as I was posting on TTP I tried to run some app by clicking on the task bar. It did not launch and basically seemed like a dead task bar.

Eventually some error message came up saying it was not a vvalid blah, blah, blah 32$#%&* app, or something like that. I clciked on the app again and then after some time it stated the application cannot be found or has been moved.. I looked at the drive it was on and it was not there in File explorer. Which is weird for the other partion of the drive was there. It's the Western Digital drive that has 2 partions, yet only one was visiable.

I decided to restart the system and it held the splash screen forever which was strange, for usually this is faster than a blink of an eye. Anyway WinXP started it's load screen and just when it gets to the point where the Welcome screen should up, the PC just sits there with a blank screen.. Nothing... Monitors show it's still getting a signal, but the screens are black.

So I reboot and go into the bios to have a quick look, the Primary IDE channels are not showing the drives... I check all the cables to make sure they are tight, and as I'm adjusting, all the drives (I think) start making some kind of clunking sound.. I let the system run the boot coarse and leave for work.. I tell Christine if the welcome screen does not comeup after 1.2 hour shut it down... Well she shut it down.

So I'll be looking into that tonight. It seems somthing is hanging the start of windows and it may be the drives on the IDE channel 1. The OS is loaded on the RAID array and it seems it wants to boot, start and run, but something is tripping it up just after windows loads.

I'll have to try Safe mode tonight.

Guess I may be installing that new Mobo and CPU sooner than I thought

I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot this, but I look forward to any ideas anyone may have.

Thanks!

Bing
    Bing
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Same reply as in TTP:

bummer...once you get that puppy in Safe Mode give BootVis a try...it may show what's (not) going on.

Actually anyone running XP can benefit from Bootvis BTW.

That's assuming the hardware is kosher...(RAM, cables, p/s)

You didn't try to squeeze a little extra performance out of the dragon did you? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: Overclocked a little too far?????
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Ha, ha... Actually Gordon that first though that came to mind is that something maybe on the way out due to overclocking everything :P

I came home, pressed the power button and away it when :huh: I think it may have been a faulty power connector to the one harddrive that was creating the problems. I tried replacing just the IDE cords at first but that did not seem to solve the dissapearing partion. I then notice that you could actually hear the WD drive spin down and then back up again. So I checked the molex and it was kind of loose. I just pinched the female ends tighter and now its nice and snug. Everything seems A-OK so far.

The Hardrive is just new so I'm ruling ou thtat its a faulty drive... for now!

Thanks for the link Gordon, I have to boot to Safe mode and give it a look see.. :T

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Actually anyone running XP can benefit from Bootvis BTW.
        Actually, anyone running XP, can benefit from Windows 2000 or Linux. :LOL:

Goodluck Bing!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Mats
          Special Member
          • Jun 2000

Now... that was the 1'st true statemet comming out of that keyboard ever :rofl:

Mats
          HTGuide
          Mats
          Mats Strömberg
          Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
          Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"