X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

iPhone App Thread

So recently, my Windows Mobile smartphone died, and I decided to go over to the dark side and finally get an iPhone. Since then, I've been downloading a TON of apps that look cool, and wasting a whole lot of time trying them out, especially the games. There's so many out there, and a lot of them are actually very useful or entertaining. So I thought we could have a thread about the most useful apps we've found, to share with each other. I'll start, with the apps I've already found useful:

Personal information storage:
    - eWallet. I've used this one for years and years, on multiple platforms, and can't live without it anymore. I have HUNDREDS of data bits stored in it, for all those things I need but can't always remember--every website login, birthdays, bank information, clothing sizes, car VIN numbers, insurance, lock combinations, memberships, frequent flyer info, etc. I have it on every mobile device for my family, and it syncs to our home desktops. Only complaint I have so far about the iPhone version is that you have to sync it manually over wi-fi due to Apple restrictions, whereas my previous phone auto-synced when I connected it to my computer.

Music Identification:
    - Midomi Sound Hound. I know others really like Shazam, but I think the recent version of it restricts you to 5 searches per month. Anytime I hear a song that I like, and want the name or artist so I can buy it, I just whip it out, press a button, and it automatically tells me what the song is. If I want, it will even connect to iTunes and buy it for me.

Info searching:
    - Google app. This thing is AWESOME. Don't even have to push a button. You just put the phone up to your ear like you're going to talk on the phone, and ask the question you want to know. It will listen, search the internet, and give you the answer you want. Very cool.

Navigation:
    - I've been using Navigon. Pretty accurate so far, nice display, and it talks to you very well. Expensive, but works great. I know other companies are developing nav programs as well.

Shopping aid:
    RedLaser. This is pretty cool. You just hold up your phone to a UPC barcode, and it automatically sees the code, searches the internet, and tells you where you can buy that item for the best prices.

Internet radio:
    Pandora. Pretty neat, streaming music that it learns that you like, making a radio station customized just to you.

Favorite games so far:
    - iMafia. PlayMesh makes some great games, many of them various versions of iMafia. You build a mafia with thugs, buy weapons and properties, then beat up rivals and go tasks to earn money and grow your mafia. Very addicting.

- FieldRunner. Very addicting tower defense-style game.

- iFarm. Plant crops, harvest them after set growth times, earn money to grow a better farm.

- Touch Pets. This one's for my daughter--you adopt and care for a puppy, with daily care, tricks, playing, petting, playdates with doggie friends, etc.

- Link4. Classic Connect4 game.

- Fling. You flick your finger to knock little furballs against each other to clear the screen.

- Paper Toss. Flick you finger to toss paper wads into a trash can, with varying crosswinds.
    - Various versions of Air Traffic Control games, where you guide airplanes to runways without collisions.

Various others:
    - Sunrise and Sunset times. Very useful here in Alaska, where we get 5 hours of sunlight on the shortest day of the year, and it stays mostly light for 24 hours in the summer.

-
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

And here's a new app. AT&T has released one for the iPhone called "Mark the Spot", where you can report if you have a dropped call, or bad coverage, or data failure. It will send that location to AT&T, so they can identify locations that need service improvement.
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

The dark side eh? Whatever next, AppleTV and a Mac Mini music server? Talking of which, there's an app for that too.

The 3G and 3GS have good quality mics and you can use them for room plots or setting up your EQ. The apps at http://www.faberacoustical.com/products/iphone/ are excellent, but expensive. Studio Six Digital http://www.studiosixdigital.com/ offers a good array of audio programs for a lot less.

I'm not a gamer, but the iPhone rivals the PSP in my opinion. There are some really good apps available, and most of them are pretty affordable.

Enjoy your new toy Chris.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I use Iphone for control systems like Control 4. It works great with Apple products like Apple Tv and Airport Express. Itunes control is very cool.
        So many uses for the iphone.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I downloaded a free Real-Time Sound Analyzer app for the iPhone. Kind of neat, but I don't know that I'll be using it much. All the SPL apps I could find required a paid purchase, not for free, so I haven't tried any yet.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

I am an addict....

Navigation: MotionX GPS Drive, Trapster, Google Earth, Darkness

Music: Pandora, Last.fm, Pocket Tunes

Life: Yelp, OpenTable, Assistant, TripCase, WeatherBug

Reference: WordBook, Wikiamo, Epicurious, Medscape, Epocrates, IMDb

Web/Social: Tweetie, Facebook, Skype, Zentap Pro, GoodReader, ShoveBox, Feeds, Instapaper, Wordpress, Boxcar

News/Sports: NewsAddict, SportsAddict, ESPN ScoreCenter, ScoreMobile

Shopping: Amazon, eBay, PayPal, Flixster, RedLaser

Photo: Camera Genius, Snapture, PS Mobile, Photogene

Networking (Work): Cisco Webex, iSSH, Scany, Cisco Speed Test

Games: Fling, Labyrinth 3D, Luxor, Let's Golf, JellyCar2

Cool Stuff: SketchBook, Air Mouse, NixieClock, Carpenter, Remote
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'm still wasting my whole life on iMafia and another version of it. (Mighty Military)

Red Laser ended up paying for itself today with me. I was buying a book at a book-signing today. Guy in front of me in line asks the clerk, "hey, do you price match?" She said, "sure, if you know a local price." I grabbed the book, scanned the UPC bar code, and it came up at Wal-Mart for about half price. So I payed for the app many times over today, and everybody else in line was really happy with me as well!
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

So, got an interesting call from my carrier today. You see O2 - my carrier - will have some competition later next year from Vodafone. And they know it. So they rang me up and said if I sign up this month for another 18 month contract, they's give me a 20% on my tariff and a 32GB 3Gs for €100. A very interesting offer and I'm really thinking about. Vodafone have released their rates and they will be about 7% more expensive than my current tariff but will release visual voicemail - something O2 has not and is a real pita. So, a 27% saving on my plan, a new 3Gs for way less than Vodafone's pricing but no visual voicemail. Think I'll go for it.

I listen to lots of radio streams on mine. Mostly Irish and UK stations. I also have a number of news sources that I use inc. Business Week, FT, Time, Sky News, BBC, Wired and Auto Week for the motors.

Finally, the Skype app is top class and the webex client works great too but really wifi is essential.

Another interesting app is Stanza - a book reader but not bought any content yet. May do though.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Huh... Skype on iPhone!
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                    Huh... Skype on iPhone!
                    Yeah. Works great over wifi. We use Skype in the office so we can save on calls to our furthest flung offices. Saves a fortune. €3 per month gives me free landline calls to Europe, free skype to skype and heavily discounted international and mobile. Very useful.
                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Lol I bet that Clerk hated you Chris!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yes, I got a nasty look... Businesses don't always like technology.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Yes, I got a nasty look... Businesses don't always like technology.
                          Yeah, especially when consumers can use the technology to discover how much they're getting ripped off by that store. :twisted:

I recently acquired an iPod Touch, which is basically the same as an iPhone minus the phone and camera. Most iPhone apps can be used on the Touch as well, of course the exceptions being those that need the phone or camera, or GPS ability. The Touch can get location via wi-fi, but that isn't practical in a vehicle for example.

Anyway, my apps so far are: WeatherBug (better than the built-in weather app), Pac-Man, iSSH, PassKeeper (a password vault), Amazon, Kindle, eBay, Paypal, a MythTV remote control app for my DVR PC, and some synthesizer/music apps (Jasuto, Argon, iDrum, nLogFree).

Comment

• P-Dub
                            Office Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Going to bump this as I am moving from a Windows Mobile phone to an iPhone.
                            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• P-Dub
                              Office Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

SPL App - I downloaded Ultimate Ears, which has an analog SPL meter that does Average, current and Peak plus an A/C switch. Seems to work pretty well. There is an annoying start screen, but if you tap on it it will skip to the main screen. You have to click on the light blue icon to start. When started you can orientate your iPhone to have to mic pointing to the source and reading the meter as normal.

The peak looks to be 110dB. I may have to compare it to my RS meter, which reminds me that I should probably change its batteries.
                              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Yeah, I looked into SPL meters, but didn't see an app that really stood out to me. Did you pay for that one, Paul?
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
                                  Office Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Yeah, I looked into SPL meters, but didn't see an app that really stood out to me. Did you pay for that one, Paul?
                                  Nope, this one is a free one.
                                  Paul

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"