X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

laptops

I'm semi seriously looking to buy a laptop. The plan is I'd use it as my main PC and give my wife my current PC and we'd sell off her old clunker. I've been shopping around a bit and I came across a few that look like good deals. One in perticular is the Compaq Presario 2105CA or this link at Future Shop

I've never been fond of Compaq (ok strongly dislike would be a better way of putting it) but the specs are better then the Dell and much cheaper. I've talked to a few people about the compac laptops and they all had good things to say about them.

I must say I'm not to fond of the touch pads having used IBM's central mouse pointer for several years at work so I'm going to see what IBM can do for me but I thought I'd run this buy you guys.

PS One consideration that's playing a part in which PC I pick is that I need a serial port for my pronto programming which rules out a lot of the new laptops.

• Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

I bought an old one (a compaq) from work to use as a glorified typewritter. Actually the more I played with the touchpad, the more I preferred it...different strokes I guess. It has a pretty strong IR as well. Here's a thought couldn't you just upload pronto edit stuff from IR back and forth?...the IR works on a COM channel that you set.

Then you're not tied down to any particular machine or am I missing something :? Can't say I'm familiar with pronto edit.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

the pronto's connect to the PC with serial connection that plugs into the pronto with a 1/8" headphone type plug so the IR port won't work for that...plus my GPS and rotel both require a serial port so its pretty much a given that i need one.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

This website is for sale! cablesbyacc.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cablesbyacc.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

List Cdn $52.12
        Web Sale Price Cdn $46.90

should fix everything? No?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Gordon sometimes yes sometimes no. It seems a few people have tried to connect to the pronto though the USB port with one of these type of devices and sometimes it works not often. I think it has to do with the timing changes...also I'm not sure if some software (HyperTerminal) will let you select a USB port?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay, okay I quit

Actually older compaq models had QA issues with the display...they'd just up and die. I think they've bounced back.... helped in part by their merger with HP. Really for bang for the buck I think that's a pretty good pick. You could go no name and save maybe a $100 but why would you...there's nothing to gain. Shipping's free so I'd say fire up the credit card! Unless you find a used one for a great deal. Ebay...newsgroups: winnipeg.forsale.computers or wpg.forsale.computers

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Gordon I'm buying this though a plan at work where they loan you the money to buy it and then deduct payments from your paycheck each month. So as part of the deal they want to make sure you're getting a fairly current model since they don't want to have to do this every other year If I saw the right used one though I'd seriously look at it but all the ones I've ever seen are too much money for the value compared to a current machine. Add to it that since laptops aren't as easily upgradable I want something that will last me a while so getting the fastest processor I can is a bonus.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Well I gone and done it. I just hit submit on a new Dell laptop so I guess I'm a Dell Dude now :B I'm getting a Inspiron 5100 and I've loaded up on the things I can't upgrade later so I opted to get the 15" monitor and a 2.4 Ghz P4 processor. I skimped on the RAM and opted only for the DVD drive instead of the burner/DVD combo drive. I already have a burner in what will become glenda's PC so its not like I'll be without. Anywho here's what I've got coming...

Warranty 3 Year Limited Warranty - 3 Year On-Site Service, 24x7 Phone Tech Support, 365 days a year.

Inspiron 5100

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor at 2.4 GHz w/15.0 XGA Display
                Memory 256MB 266MHz 1 DIMM
                32MB ATi Mobilityâ„¢ Radeonâ„¢ 7500 Video Card
                30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
                64MB Dell USB Memory Key
                Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (I might replace this with the pro version I have)
                Integrated Network Card (time to look into a wireless router)
                Internal 56K Modem Modem
                8X Max Variable DVD-ROM Drive
                Port Replicator USB200 Advanced Port Replicator - this should give me the serial port I need
                Primary Battery 96 WHr Lithium Ion 12-Cell Battery

WordPerfectâ„¢ Productivity Pack - I'll unintall this ASAP and put in my Office XP

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Go big or go home, eh Pr@?

Seriously. Niiiiiiiiice 'puter 8)

When cash becomes available....throw another 256 MB in there. RAM's cheap these days.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

That's the plan gordon...as well as selling the SMC router and buying a wireless one. Know anyone that might buy my SMC?

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

Wordperfect? Wow...I haven't heard that in several years.

Very nice laptop, Andrew...not quite a Mac but very nice.

I'm a Dell Dude now
                      So, um...I guess that makes you the hookup then. Can I buy a dime bag? Take Paypal for that?

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

yeah the only people that I know that still use word perfect are the provincial gobberment employee's...don't worry it will be the first thing to be uninstalled

Goose you know I think I might actually consider a Mac at some point in the future...I really like what they're doing with the new OS

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"