X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Digital Audio Output from Desktops and Laptops

I'm interested in outputting digital audio from computers, for the purpose of sending a Dolby Digital and/or DTS signal on say, a DVD playing on the computer, to a surround sound theater setup.

For desktops, it's fairly straightforward. Either it has a dedicated digital output, or a port is labeled as being able to be configured as SP/DIF for this purpose.

However, I'm not really seeing this very much on laptops, where sound cards typically aren't configurable. For instance, Dell's website gives no indication that any of their laptops can pass a digital audio signal. Gateway has one model where it does say that one audio jack can be configurable as headphone, microphone, or SP/DIF output.

I called Dell to ask about their laptops, and the technician I talked to said that Dell laptops use a dongle from the S-Video port that splits into 3 output ports of S-Video, composite video, and SP/DIF.

Can this be true? Can an S-video port pass a digital audio signal? That just seems weird to me.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Here's a couple of Dell Accessories that claim to add S/PDIF capability to certain Dell notebooks:

Multimedia Cable Kit for Dell Inspiron Systems

This kit says it includes a composite video cable, a S-video cable, and a S/PDIF cable, and is compatible with the Inspiron 8500, 8200, and 4150 notebooks. However, when I look at the picture up close, what I see is a composite video/stereo audio cable (the type with the red, white, and yellow RCAs on both ends), a S-video cable, and a 1/8-inch stereo to dual RCA adapter, for connecting the RCAs to the stereo headphone jack on the notebook. The picture doesn't show anything S/PDIF.

Advanced Port Replicator for Dell Inspiron 600m/ 8500/ 8600 Notebooks
    If you have an Inspiron 600m, 8500, or 8600 notebook, this port replicator adds a S/PDIF output.

If you have a different notebook, the best bet would be a PCMCIA/CardBus S/PDIF adapter. Otherwise, it's generally easier to get that kind of thing in a desktop.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Actually, that is interesting, Kev. That multimedia cable kit just seems to be the standard A/V cables that you can buy in any store, not this dongle that the technician was telling me about to turn your S-Video port into an output for S-video, composite video, and SP/DIF. You know, the more I think of that idea, the more it sounds strange. How could you pass a digital audio signal through S-Video?

I'm not familiar with the PCMCIA adapter you're talking about. Could this be used on ANY notebook to pass a digital audio signal? (as long as it has the card slot) Or is it just for specific applications?

CHRIS
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
        How could you pass a digital audio signal through S-Video?
        S-video only uses 3 of the 4 pins on the connector. Y, C, and ground. The 4th pin could carry a S/PDIF signal. I didn't see any mention on Dell's site of any of their notebooks supporting this though. Also, if it were true, that S-video cable would have a split and a SPDIF jack as well as the S-video. The other possibility is maybe the notebook allows S/PDIF output through the headphone jack, via a mode setting, and thus you'd use the regular audio cable as your S/PDIF cable.
        I'm not familiar with the PCMCIA adapter you're talking about. Could this be used on ANY notebook to pass a digital audio signal? (as long as it has the card slot) Or is it just for specific applications?
        Some cards may be made for specific applications, but I would expect that most of them would just act like a normal sound card, and could be accessed by any Windows application that supports sound.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I think I may have found a solution for a future laptop for me:

The Sound Blaster Audigy2 NX. It connects to any computer via USB, and then outputs analog, optical, and it looks like coaxial SPDIF to any component. Even microphone and optical in for MP3 and such.

If you connect via USB 2.0 and Win XP, you can even support DVD-Audio from any DVD-ROM drive.

Remote control and other stuff makes this look like a winner at $129.

CHRIS
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

That Creative Labs solutions looks really cool!

I know on the old Dell Laptops, my wife has one, the dongle really exists! We've used it several times to output a SP/DIF signal to my receiver.

I just thought Dell had discontinued doing it as I don't see it being mentioned on their newer laptops.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Steve Goff
              • Feb 2002

I have a simple $29 USB to spdif device that works with native drivers included in Windows XP. It is the Onkyo UD-5, and was available from Outpost.com. You plug it into a USB port, and it installs the drivers, providing bit-pefect replay of PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS formats. It has an optical output. Getting bit-pefect output of PCM is often difficult with many soundcards because the OS processes the signal in the KMixer to make sure that other sounds can be integrated. Most of the time this means that the least significant bit will be removed and dither will be added. This is not true of this Onkyo USB sound device.

Steve Goff
              Steve Goff

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Wow, Steve, that's good stuff. I can't find info on that Onkyo piece, but that's good to know that stuff like that exists out there.

CHRIS
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Steve Goff
                  • Feb 2002

Here is a link to Onkyo's page for this device. It lists for $79.00, but Outpost had it for $29.00.

Steve Goff
                  Steve Goff

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Well, lo and behold, on the Dell Inspiron 9100 I just got, right on top of the box of cables and parts was the very "dongle" that Dell described-- it plugs into the S-video port, and has three outputs--S-video, composite video, and coaxial S/PDIF. I may not need another sound card output after all. I'll have to see how it works.

One thing that concerns me though--so far I'm not getting DTS capability from the Dell "Media Experience" program which is just PowerDVD with Dell's logo slapped on it. I don't know if the S/PDIF will pass a DTS signal to my receiver--this would be important for me.

So depending on how it works, I may spend the extra bucks for the Audigy 2 NX after all. It may give better sound output, add 7.1 capability, and DVD-Audio. But looking at the specs for the NX model, I'm not seeing a DTS capability there, either. What's up with that? The internal Audigy 2 sound card has DTS ES capability.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

You should be able to get DTS. Normally, DTS is only a problem if local decoding is done- then they have to pay an extra license fee.

Dell may be using a relatively old version of PowerDVD (it's probably cheaper), and some earlier versions didn't pass through DTS streams. Don't ask me why...

Be sure you have local decoding turned off, and only audio pass through turned on. PowerDVD has versions with DTS support, but they're extra cost due to the licensing fees. If you try to do simultaneous local audio and pass through, the license issue will probably kill the audio completely.

Just my best guess...
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I DEFINITELY won't be locally decoding to play on the computer speakers and simultaneously outputting to the theater. I want nothing but a pure unadulterated bit stream sent to my surround processor. I won't be able to check it out for a while, tho.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Well, I've been able to test this out repeatedly over the past few days. I'm using the Dell "dongle" for a coax digital connection to my surround processor. It works great when playing a DVD on the laptop and passing a Dolby Digital signal. The processor picks it right up. Now, as Jon said, Dell used software based on PowerDVD's old version 3, so it didn't pass a DTS signal. Me being the sucker I am for upgrades, I paid to upgrade PowerDVD to the new version 5 deluxe with DTS support, to Power DVD passes that signal now. It works very nice, and the video signal put out looks great as well. Upgrading the PowerDVD software must have done something with the engine that the Dell software uses though, because most features work in the Dell A/V program (Called "Dell Media Experience") but it locks up now if I try to change some options. Strange... my audio suddenly dropped out from the laptop while I was typing this (in my theater on the big screen). Dunno what's up.

Here's my big question now--can I use this coax SPDIF output to pass ALL audio from the computer? It seems that whatever I've done has muted or bypassed all laptop speakers, because they don't put anthing out now that it's connected. Like I said, audio is passed while playing a DVD. But playing other computer files like MPEG, no sound is passed. Is there a way for me to do this?
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

For what it's worth, it looks like Power DVD 6 just got released. Being sold in an original package right now. When they release upgrade capabilities for it, I guess I'll go ahead and buy it. Right now I'm running Power DVD 5 Deluxe. 6 adds DVD-A support, which is cool. I guess you don't need any modifications to a DVD-ROM player to use it? Just software changes only?
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Marty
                              • Nov 2004

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info. This thread has been very helpful.

I also have the "dongle" and tried connecting it from my Dell Latitude D600 laptop to my amplifier and tv, but have not had any success with sound or picture.

Firstly, is the "dongle" in question the same one as: http://www.logicapproach.com/sales/i...eooutcable.gif ?

Secondly, someone mentioned that it might not even be possible to send out a digital audio sound. Is this true?

Thirdly, can anyone help me hook it up so i can play music from iTunes through my sound system speakers, and be able to play DVDs through my sound system and tv. I have a digital audio cable plugged into my amp, and the s-video cable plugged into my tv directly. Are there any settings on the laptop i need to make to see the picture on my tv screen and the sound through my speakers?

Thanks,
                              Marty

Comment

• VGuarino
                                • Oct 2004

Marty,

I also have a D600. I don't believe there is a way to get to an external source other than the analog out, using the headphone jack.

If anyone knows otherwise, I'd also be happy to know how!

Vin

Comment

• VGuarino
                                  • Oct 2004

Marty,

The only way to get to the internal sound card on the D600 is through the port replicator.

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Or a PCMCIA or USB sound card. I'm thinking about the M-Audio Sonic Theater USB option. I'm not sure if this gives me more than the internal sound card on the C800 (I'd have to convince my wife to give her laptop up though).

Vin

Comment

• Hooger
                                    • Dec 2004

D600 Digital Audio Output

I too have a D600 and am looking ito output digital audio. It makes perfect sense to have a dongle for the S-Video output to handle digital audio. The S-Video port on the laptop is not a normal S-Video port, if you look closely it has 7 holes (3 in addition to a regular S-Video port). I am assuming these three extra pin holes control digital audio output. For those with the dongle and are having no luck with the audio, try enabling SPDIF in the audio controls and make sure you are using a digital coax cable. Where can i get a hold of the dongle, does anyone have a link to where it is sold?

Comment

• VGuarino
                                      • Oct 2004

I called Dell support and they indicated that digital audio is only accessible through the advanced port replicator. The D600 documents do not talk about digital out via the S-video. The older Latitiude C800 does support this and does mention it in the docs.

I have both the dongle and a D600 and will try it this afternoon. I'm on my way out right now.

Vin

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Not true about needing the Port Replicator. If you have the dongle (dang, that's a funny word!) you can output SPDIF. That's what I'm doing on my new Dell Inspiron 9100. I don't know if it's model-dependant, though.

As far as where to buy the dongle, for the Dell-specific model that plugs into the S-video port, I think you'd have to get it direct from Dell. But like we wrote in this thread above, you can get USB solutions that output digital audio.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• VGuarino
                                          • Oct 2004

That's what I'm doing on my new Dell Inspiron 9100. I don't know if it's model-dependant, though.

Chris,

It is very much model dependent. The Inspiron line is Dell's home line of laptops. The Latitude is their business line. The Inspiron will have more state of the art characteristics than the Latitude. I've looked up a few models at Dell through their support site. The documentation has been quite specific. I also called Dell, since I'm a corporate user, I have access to tech reps. The Latitude D600 unfortunately does not support the dongle. Both the docs and tech support have confirmed it. I will still try it out though

I also have a Latitude C800, which does support the dongle and sounds very good through the 1056.

I ordered an M-Audio Transit today. This is a USB sound card that I will try with another laptop that I have.

Vin

Comment

• jhschlak
                                            • Nov 2004

I have an inspiron 8600, but for the life of me, I cannot get any audio to my rotel 1056. I have the dongle hooked to a digital auido cable, and the digital cable running to the digital audio in of the receiver. But the receiver is not detecting a signal. It's like nothing is passing through. I have tried different dvd's and other audio files, but nothing works. I have tried powerDVD and windows media player. I cannot figure this out. Any advice out there?

-Jeff

Comment

• VGuarino
                                              • Oct 2004

Jeff,

You may need to enable the SPDIF port. Double click on your volume icon (I'm assuming Windows). Click the advanced tab under volume control. You should see the check box for SPDIF.

You might also check that your input is set to the correct digital port in the Rotel.

The inspiron 8600 does support digital out with the dongle.

Vin

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

That's correct, Jeff, you do have to select SPDIF output, it doesn't simultaneously output SPDIF and analog audio.

You may or may not have to enable SPDIF through the advanced tab in volume control AND in your media playback program as well.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jhschlak
                                                  • Nov 2004

I have done this as well, that is checking the box in the advanced setting area of the master volume and change the media player to output spidf but still nothing. Nothing is being detected by the reciever. I have double and triple checked that the audio line is going to my digital coax 2 input and that what I have it set on, on the reciever. I have hooked up the composite video line from the dongle directly to the tv and this passes the signal through to the tv, so that is working, but I don't understand why I can't get the reciever to detect the audio.

-Jeff

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

I'm certainly no expert here, but I think it should be working for you. You say that you're using PowerDVD and Windows Media, right? Which versions are you using? If you're not aware, PowerDVD 6 just came out, with upgrade options as of last week, if you're interested in upgrading.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• basementjack
                                                      • Dec 2004

Does anyone know of a way to use the PC's Digital out for non-pre encoded DD or DTS content?

I'll explain:

I run Coax from the digital out of my PC to my HT receiver.
                                                      If I play a DVD, the Dolby digital stream is output to the coax and I can watch a movie in surround, but that's not what I want to do....

What I want to do is play a PC game that has surround support, and get that surround signal to my HT digitally.
                                                      Many of the games support surround sound, but all are done through windows. Last I checked, none of the creative labs cards will output surround from a game via the digital out - only through the analog out.

I will say that playing call of duty with 2 ch PCM audio was fantastic - much cleaner than any Xbox title I've played! Now if I could just have the option of DTS surround!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

I think I may have found a solution for a future laptop for me:

The Sound Blaster Audigy2 NX. It connects to any computer via USB, and then outputs analog, optical, and it looks like coaxial SPDIF to any component. Even microphone and optical in for MP3 and such.

If you connect via USB 2.0 and Win XP, you can even support DVD-Audio from any DVD-ROM drive.

Remote control and other stuff makes this look like a winner at $129.

CHRIS
                                                        Chris, did you buy the Audigy2 NX, and if so, are you happy with it? Would you recommend it for 2-channel music? Does it have RCA line out so I can connect it directly to my 2-channel pre-amp? (If this information is on Creative's web site I must be blind).

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

Ah, no I haven't bought one. I haven't been able to justify the cost for myself, so I haven't bought any additional sound output devices for my laptop, as the "Dell dongle" is working fine for digital coax output.

BTW, Creative has newer and better products out now than the NX. They've been out for a while, too, so I would actually anticipate an even BETTER generation of products out shortly.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Thanks Chris. I'll keep an eye on Creative's web site for those new products.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"