• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

backing up system file in XP

NEWS from UGeek.com
    In Windows XP there's a file called SYSTEM in the %SYSTEMROOT%SYSTEM32CONFIG directory. On my system it was about 3.5 MB. Apparently it is quite essential to Windows XP operations. WinXP kept booting up saying it was corrupt and that I should repair it with my WinXP disk. I booted into WinXP from CD-ROM, chose Repair console, and set to it. I saw a SYSTEM.SAV file there and said to myself, "Aha! That must be the one I need to restore." Nope. Big mistake. Quite costly. That SYSTEM.SAV file, also taking up ~3.5 MB on my hard drive, was the one originally created during installation. When I copied it over SYSTEM and rebooted it seemed to be booting up just fine. I was thinking "YES!" when I saw the WinXP screen fade in. But then it went into the installation ... I had to re-install everything. So, the short-and-skinny of this blurb is as follows: Make a copy *RIGHT NOW* of your SYSTEM file. Call it SYSTEM.RECOVER, or something that uniquely identifies it for what it is. Or, in the alternative, delete that bastard, leftover file SYSTEM.SAV from your installation and call it that. If you ever get the message that your SYSTEM file is corrupt, you'll thank me.
    Rob Note: Isn't Windows XP supposed to keep multiple copies of this file around for restores? That would seem to make sense, but I couldn't find anything concrete about it on Microsoft's site

• Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

SYSTEM is part of the Registry, which everything in Windows relies on. Usually if something gets hosed you can boot into a "last known good configuration". At least that's how it worked in NT and 2000. Dunno in XP (I still refuse to touch XP with a 39 1/2 foot pole), but there's also that System Restore feature that carried over from ME. Maybe you should try that.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Andrew, thanks for that tip!

XP does have a system restore that works very well from what I have used of it. It actually gives you a calender to choose which point in time you want to restore from.

I think system restore can be found on the left side panel once you open control panel,... Awh hell I can't remember right now. I'll post once I get home.

Kevin, if you use a digital camera you don't know what your missing. I'd never go back to 2000 :g>'>

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I agree as a digi camera user XP rules.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"