• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Tale of Two Disc Drives

Hello all:

Friday evening, I came home and saw some error messages on the screen. I didn't pay a lot of attention, as this sort of thing does happen occasionally, usually memory induced, I thought.

So, i close the windows, go about my business. Later on, I go to eat dinner, and when I return, I see that Norton tried to run his evening scan, (why is it a he, rather than a her?) but he had a problem, said some of Norton files were missing.

Well, I still wasn't that alarmed, as I have had Norton get trashed before, and have to reinstall it. So, I said, it's time to reboot.

Boy, was I wrong. When I rebooted, my system stopped at a text line after the initial boot screens, and said, no disc drive found. I said, shit, what?

So, I reboot again, look in cmos, and yes, my drive was still there. Still, i can't get past it. So, I begin to panic. I check to make sure memory is installed, connections seated, still nothing. So, I get out a win 98 boot disc and w2k install disc and start running tests. None of the above allowed me to see my C drive.

At this point, I realize the magnatude of problem, and damn near begin to cry. My C drive, that's not backed up, is gone, gone, gone!

Panicing, i run to Best Buy to get a new drive, and they were closed already. So, that night, kicking myself all the while for not backing up when I had the space, all i could do was wait. Saturday morning, I went and picked up 2 new Western Digital Drives to restore my system and begin the painful process of rebuilding.

First, I formatted both drives individually as the primary drive. After doing that, i proceeded to install Windows on the first drive. After getting up and running, I connected my one good drive with data, and copied everything from that drive to the new C drive. I then installed the second new drive and did a backup of that data. *yeah, now I backup!

By Sunday night, I run another test, and evaluate the bad drive in w2k disc facility. Well, what do you know, Winblows thinks it's a healthy drive! Well, I still can't read it though, as it says there is no valid directory or partitions.

After that on Monday, I started thinking recovery and after talking to one person, and reading on another site (www.ontrack.com), I begin to think there's a 50 50 chance at least, that much of my data is still on the drive, even though I couldn't get to it.

So, last night, I downloaded the trial software from On Track, and sure enough, I found over 43000 files!!! Yeah! So, now, I am ready to turn my attention to recovery, and purchase this package. Turns out, I ran the RAW data recovery test last night. I should have ran the standard. So, I will start that test at lunch.

Morals of the story?
    1. Never trust a Maxtor drive, even if less than 1 year old.
    2. Never run by the seat of your britches. Assum the worst, it could happen to you!
    3. when replacing drives, look at the new Western Digital 8 meg cache units.

I was amazed by the increase in seek times by my new drives. Gone are the cursor delays when clicking on something so simple as a start menu. In short, it's made my dual drive system like a real dual now! Those Maxtors were holding my system back big time!

I'm anxious to get my data back, and close my system up once again. Only this time, running Ghost software backups from C to E, with no data stored on 1 drive only.

The trial software did encounter a partition error, but no directories. That is a big problem...

lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Hey Lex,

That really sucks....a friend of mine has been down this road before with....wadda-ya-know a maxtor drive. Talking with some local shops 9 times out of 10 Maxtor is the one that gets RMA'd. However, that said, Maxtor has the largest install base because their ok drives and generally cheaper than everyone else for something similar.

Western Digital's 8 mb cache monsters are the bad boys on the block...a little noisy but whoa momma they're fast 8)

Seagate...reliable well built...not as fast but damn quiet...different strokes

Before you plunk down cash for ontrack give PC Inspector File Recovery 3.0 a try (http://www.convar.de) freeware and from all accounts works pretty damn good. I've saved a few friends bacons with this freeware.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

Have you considered running a software mirror...or are you afraid that'll slow you down too much?
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Thanks for the tip. It looks like to me, the boot partition got fried someway on this drive.

Actually, prior to reading your post, I happened to think to go to www.downloads.com and just see what kind of tools were out there last night. I found one for 60 bucks that I like pretty good, based upon the trial, and it may just do everything I need.

Well, I am afraid that raid would slow things down as much graphics work as I do. I think the Ghost backup is workable really.

I had one other Quantum drive go bad, so whatever tools I will look at that one too. Who knows, I might find some dater!

I am optimistic about what I saw last night data wise.

Still in research phase, not bought anything yet.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

As far as worrying about the WDs being a little noisy, keep in mind, this is a dual CPU machine. It sounds like it's about to take off at any minute anyway! LOL.

It was so quite in that room with it off for a change, to quite.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"