X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Microsoft dropping the ball on Windows 7 users

Can you imagine that I went to the page that is supposed to support gadgets, that is built into Windows 7, and they tell me they no longer support gadgets, so they can focus on Windows 8 apps?

I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable from a current operating system. Windows 7 is not that old, and is supposed to be still supported. That means offering customers things that came with the operating system. We are not asking for new stuff, but support of what was already there!

Microsoft is not pushing my home computer to windows 8, I like Windows 7. Not supporting users with a few simple gadget downloads is very disappointing.

All I want is a temp and weather gadget to work, which is not working currently. I'd like a temperature/weather gadget, you know? I may be able to rob one from a PC at work, but this removal of these gadgets from microsoft web site is wrong.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, I got weatherbug installed on my laptop. Turns it it was a download still stuffed in my downloads at work. Lucky for me, I don't clean my downloads out. lol. Now I have it on my usb drive for future reference. nice to have a temp and weather gadget on my laptop.

Unlike Microsoft's default weather/temp gadget, this one actually works.
    Doug

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Lucky you still had a copy... I've often thought perhaps I delete program installers too quickly. Better to archive them somewhere for future use.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

What about The Weather Channel Desktop App for Windows ? I also have the mobile app on my smartphone. I find it more detailed and useful than the native weather app that came with the phone. If you don't want to download the despktop app, you could just place a shotcut to the Weather Channel webpage on your desktop. You will still get current temperature and weather.

The Weather Channel Desktop App

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Glen, does it have ads in it? If so is there a purchasable version without ads?
          -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Yeah, I lucked up still having a copy of it. There's a second temperature one that says MSN Weather, as opposed to just weather gadget. I never could find it in the gadgets folder though, weird. But I am content with one temp, weather gadget. Works for me. I like it uncomplicated. Simple gadget.
            Doug

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

I only have Windows because I have to not because I choose to. I gave up on Windows as my main operating system many years ago. I run all Mac's in my house and use Bootcamp when I need to use Windows.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, I use windows at work, and have since 3.1/windows 95/98/2000, etc... So, I never bought into the whole apple thing. They have cool stuff, just stuff I never really needed. Once you buy some software oriented toward one side, changing seems less purposeful.

I realize that Apple can emulate PC now, that could make it work, but again, the point for me is?
                Doug

Comment

• leej
                  • Feb 2009

Microsoft finally made a good, stable version of Windows and now wants to force us to upgrade to Win 8. I haven't tried 8, yet 'cause I like 7. I guess when they stop supporting 7 altogether, I'll be forced to upgrade. I hate being pushed.
                  Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                  B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"