X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

General Protection Fault

Guys, my new PC ran for at least a solid day sitting out in the open, but as soon as I put it in my Bush Netsurfer workstation, upon occasion I had the system fail with a general protection fault. Then reboot.

Obviously, I became concerned.

Last night, I pulled the system back out of the system compartment, (that is open), and left it running all night. First time in 3-4 nights overnight it didn't have the failure.

What's up here, cooling capacity? I thought I was good on that, and am really dumbfounded by this occurance.

Ideas?

Lex
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Humm, could be a cooling thing. Was the CPU under load during those 3 nights running with out the cover? If not, that may not indicate anything just because it did not crash at idle.

Go to http://www.madonion.com and download 3D marks 2001. Once you have it insatlled, set it to run benchmark loops indefinitly over night and see if it crashes. While the crash may be atributed to many things, this will be a start to see how stable it may be or if maybe heat is the culprit.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Not really under a load Bing. I mean, I do let my PC rest at night, lol.

Well, she ran good all weekend, but last night rebooted itself.

I downloaded and ran the benchmark test, had an overall score of some 5380 or something close. It ran them all without failing. But as far as putting it in a continuous loop for testing, I don't think you can do that with the free version.

Nice graphics for their test!

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

What are the tremperatures of your cpu, case...etc?

Use VIA Hardware monitor that came on your MB disk, if you don't have any other untility to grab this data.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"