X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Amps: Adcom, Earthquake, Sherwood, etc.

I know this is one of those questions that may generate a lot of opinion, and has been tossed around a million times, but here goes. I am in the process of buying speakers. Not sure what kind yet, but my room size is 18x24x9. I want to get my amplifier so when I buy my speakers, I am ready to listen and test. Here are the brands/models I have narrowed it down to. I am undecided as to power, but I have the feeling I want more. The levels of amps are basically either 100, 200 or 300 watts per channel. Not sure if I need that much, opinions welcome. Since the Sherwood and Sherbourn are the cheapest, I will add the extra cost over these models for the rest. Parenthesis are rated 4 ohm power.
    .....................................8 Ohm (4ohm) ..........Added Cost:
    Sherwood Newcastle:......100w(160) x 7............Same
    Sherbourn 1250 A :......125w(175) x 7.............Same
    Sherbourn 2100 A : ......200w(300) x 7............+$500
    Adcom GFA 7707 : ......200w(300) x 7............+$1100
    Earthquake CineNova:....300w(600) x 7 ..........+$1700

The Sherwood is the only model that doesn't have fault protection LEDs. I actually read one review that tested the Sherbourn 1250 at 150w x 7. I know the added headroom is nice and I plan on keeping my amp for a long time. The speakers I am looking at are mostly "brighter speakers". Most SNRs are around 105-110, the Adcom states 125 with THD of .009. The others are around .01. Obviously the Earthquake is the Mac-Daddy. It is the only one that lists a 2 ohm rating, which is 750w. Thanks for any reponse. And please limit your responses to these brands.
    Roly
  • slayer
    • Dec 2005

I am an Earthquake & Sherwood dealer. I use the Earthquake in my personal system. I could have gone with Sunfire, Sherwood, ATI, ADA, Parasound, and a couple other brands. I really like the Earthquake and I recommend it highly. They run cool and are very bulletproof. I've never had a problem with any that I have sold. And the extra power you will have will give you more choices on the speaker hunt you are going on. PM me if you have any other questions.
    Parasound Halo C2
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
    Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
    Oppo BDP103
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
    Xbox One
    Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
    Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
    BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
    Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
    Energy Veritas 2.0i center
    CAT Tiburon series side surround
    Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

I would have to agree with Slayer about Earthquake they are awesome amps. The main thing is going to be $$$$$$ I personally like to spend as much money as I can on speakers vs other equipment. I personally believe that speakers are the MOST important, MOST noticable item that you can replace in your system. So if you can drop a grand in a good amp, then you will have another 700 to spend to upgrade your speakers. That is my .02 cents on the matter.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Rolyasm
        • Dec 2004

Slayer, Have you ever compared the Sherwood to the Earthquake. It is by far the smallest power rated amp, and I just wonder if I wouldn't outgrow it. I probably am looking most at the Earthquake or the 200w/channel Sherbourn. I could get the Sherbourn for almost half the cost of the Earthquake and it has some nice features, like dual power cords. By the way, does the Earthquake have a 12v trigger? I don't see it mentioned anywhere, and I may be putting my amps in the cold storage on a remote sequencer. Also, any thoughts on the fact that the Earthquake uses 1 taroidal transformer while the Sherbourn uses 7? Any benifits/downside to using one or many?
        Roly

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"