X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

P.U.I. Saturday Night - The Complete Monterey Festival

Last I was heard from.... gROOVING to Dave Brubeck :W

Long day, had Birthday Party for my sister who was in the hospital for Christmas and her birthday, which was on Christmas. A bit important for me this party, long story, not the worst Christmas, that was last year. Did a Rum and Coke thing, no others, it's a dry crowd these days. I bought "The Complete Monterey Festival" a few days ago and this is the first chance I've had to see what it's all about. Everyone has gone home, got a decent buzz going... so here we go.

Not really a child of the 60's per say , but a fan none the less.

Mama's and Papa's start strong, not a bad start to the disc with California Dreaming. I really think this is a hallmark song, top 20 in my estimation. The Jefferson Airplane do a decent number, not onr of there more popular tunes.

Umm, Simon and Garfunkel were fun to see. I was fun to see all the band and all the people so young, it was a different time back then.

Janis Joplin is flipping STRONG. Not a fan, never really was, but her performance is impressive. To much airplay back in the day might have spoiled it or what ever, but seeing her perform "Ball and Chain" is impressive. there is an interesting shot where it shows her about coming out of her shoes while singing, and that's how it is... so much more powerful to see her putting it out there on video than just hearing it on audio, very, very impressive.

The Who don't seem to really fit, a little too edgy, a little to pushy for the laid back vide that the whole thing seemed about. Very F-U and all thing., not the hippy vibe, didn't fit.

The Dead are slow and a bit boring. Funny how the video did actually reflect this. Peeps in a slow or dozing state, bit of a low point. not a fun.

Otis Redding is great on the first disc, doing only a single song. did strike me as a bit off. Yeah all the 'kids" seemed cool, but his thing was a bit more hip than the peace sign and groovy clothes. I get the peace sign and groovy clothes, but Otis seemed like his was a dirfferent deal.

JIMI FLIPPIN ROCKED. That's all there is to it. I love this guys deal, my wife does not get it at all. To me he is a magician, a guitar witch. It looks like it's all play, so effortless, and his performance shows it. He spins it on his finger and it's all tricks and slight of hand, magic. I hear waves and harmonic's... a musical symphony, he caresses the guitar and it responds. It's as close it inanimate sex as you can get. My wife hears screaching and howling noise, I hear deap and beautiful, meaningful sound.

Ravi ends the frist disc with a far too long number, seems like filler. Never really liked the guy, and only the sound in very (very) small doses. this was much too much.

Overall the video and audio quality was very good being so old. Performances ranged from dud (Ravi) to outstanding (Janis and Jimi).

It's late and I'm blinking out a bit. I've finished disc 1 of The Complete Monterey Festival.

I've put on Crowded House Farewell to the World on DVD. Something I can call really cool from my time frame. Love these guys, so sad about Paul.

I've been feeling so much older, frame me and hang me on the wall....

That does say a lot......Time to crash.
    Wack
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Wonderful post, greenhorn!

Sleep well our friend, you deserve it.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

greenhorn, it's always a joy to read your reviews! Thanks for sharing.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yeah Greenhorn you got that one right. You have to see a Janis Joplin performance to really appreciate how much she put into her music. And guitar witch is a great description of Jimi Hendrix. He and Stevie Ray had that same ability to make it look easy.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"