X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

amp protection during thunderstorm and peak

I was watching a movie last night during a thunderstorm when the 1077 amp went into protection during a peak in sound. I turned it off and on ... and proceeded to watch again. (happened twice)

what's going on? what does the thunderstorm have to do with it?

(I have a voltage regulator)
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

did the voltage change during watching, when there's thunder, there's lightning...so there definitely could've been a change in the voltage that threw the amp into protection mode. Which is why I don't use my stuff (and unplug) when there's a good thunder/lightningstorm going on.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I wonder if grounding is the reason? If lighting strikes somewhere and the ground gets energised, there could be more than a couple of volts between earth and neutral - the Amps protection will probably cut in in that case.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Arneson
        • Jan 2006

I just wondered because I took a direct hit recently.

Were you watching, satelite, cable, off air, or dvd?
        The sat antenna must be grounded to an earth rod as well as the cable.

I found out how crazy a bolt can be.
        Jim

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

dvd ... I do hear the voltage regulators absorb some fluctuations a lot during thunderstorms. (I hear the clicking sound from the AVRs) crappy electricity over here.

but if the AVRs are absorbing the fluctuations, there shouldnt be a change in the supply right? and it happened during a peak in the movie.

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

What speaks do you use?
            Could be the impedance is dipping close to an ohm or 2 during peak passages. Not sure what the amp is rated @ but during a big low frequency shot the resistance the amp sees can be close to a short.

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

the speaks are infinity beta 50 towers ... 90+db sensitivity, 8ohms.
              amp is rotel rmb 1077 I have 4 channels bi-amping the beta 50 towers. 100w highs 100w lows (which should further negate ohm dip)

but I have hammered this amp more on ordinary days and it didnt really break a sweat. I feel that the thunderstorm had something to do with it ... but I dont know how ...

and the movie was mr. and mrs. smith during the shootout at the mall.

Comment

• Arneson
                • Jan 2006

If your dipping than current draw goes up.
                You may have a brownout effect.
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"