X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

CD burner problem

I have a HP 9100 8X CDRW burner on my Win2K machine running EZCD4 using an overclocked celeon CPU (running at 1000hz) with ATA100 7200 RPM quantum HHD. My problem is that even if I am copying files from the hard drive to the burner it won't burn faster then 4X w/o getting a buffer under run. I'm wondering why I can't supply data fast enough to burn at 8X when the hard ware I've got should do it?

Joey what were you able to get with your old burner?

• Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Does the burner share an IDE interface with another device? What is it? Is it in use when you're burning CDs?

Try switching it to the other interface, if possible. Or switching master and slave.

Are you running any other software while burning CDs? One thing I've learned is "never try to launch IE while a CD is burning". 'Course, if IE is already running there's no problem. But loading it takes long enough to cause a buffer underrun at 8x.

On my PC, the IDEs are set up as follows (I think):

Primary IDE: Master-hard drive, Slave-DVD-ROM
    Secondary IDE: Master-CD burner, Slave-8GB Travan tape drive

It probably helps that the CD burner has the secondary IDE to itself when burning CDs (I only use the tape drive for backups).

Putting the device you're burning from (hard drive or CD-ROM) and the burner on separate IDEs certainly doesn't hurt matters either.

KJP

P.S. Also check to see if there's Win2K driver updates or patches for EZCD4. I seem to recall that it needed to be patched to work properly in Win2K.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kevin its the seconadary master and I don't have anything else running in the back ground. I'll check into the patches though thanks for the idea.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Check here for assistance
        CD-Recordable FAQ, including CD-R and CD-RW, updated monthly

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

thanks thomas I think I found one problem in that my RAM wasn't performing very well due to a couple of settings in the BIOS. I've got those tweaked now so things might have improved at bit but I havne't tried it yet

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"