X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

5.1 Mini-Jack to RCA

I'll be obtaining a 5ch amp shortly and would like to utilize my PC's analog 5.1 output to send directly to the amp but I'm having a heck of a time locating a nice all in one, colour coded and/or labeled breakout cable to do so (3 male mini-jacks to 6 female RCA's).

I've been "Googling" all over the place but can't find anything! Lot's of stereo 3.5mm to RCA adapters and cables but no 5.1. I suppose if I have to I'll get a couple of those but I'd prefer a tidy all in one breakout cable/adaptor.

Bonus points if anyone finds something from a Canadian company :lol:
    Jason
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I would think since there's no standard spacing for how far apart the plugs are (or even if they have to be in-line), unless your sound card company has one you will be hard pressed to find one.

Now some braid, heat-shrink, and spacer blocks you could make a really impressive one yourself.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah I was thinking something with "leads", not a solid adapter like this stereo set below. Just in a 3 to 6 rather than 1 to 2 configuration.

Yeah I guess I could build my own...but who the hell has time for that! :lol:

I wonder how much Doug would charge me for a one-off...? (Or if he's even still doing them.) Not sure I can afford his level of quality!:cry:
      Last edited by aud19; 22 July 2014, 15:47 Tuesday.
      Jason

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

ebay!
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mjb
          ebay!

I looked. Lots of mono/stereo adapters but I couldn't find any 5.1 sets. You have a link?
          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I've never seen one that really has 3 in one. In the end does it really make much of a difference? I mean if you really need them stuck together you can just shrink wrap them together.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I guess not. I'm just surprised it doesn't seem to exist I guess. Was hoping to find a nice tidy 1-piece solution. I guess I can just get three stereo adapters and shrink wrap/colour code them myself...they seem so cheap though :/
              Jason

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Yeah, I am not even for sure I understand exactly WHAT it is you really need yet, but it's really of little consequence. It sounds like you want 3 1/8" male stereo plugs strapped together, and split into 2 each female RCA. At least that is what you have pictured. Maybe you want male RCA instead though, dunno... This would be a tricky little build as a unitized cable. Of course, it could be built in 3s and then seamed together as one, but it's work I don't really want to do.

I'm pretty well refusing custom work at this point. When a bit out of practice, anything other than a standard type RCA or speaker cable, is beyond the realm of what I want to do now. I built freaking IPOD cables at one time, I've done some funky adapter stuff, some for myself even, but time and patience for one off work now and customization, not so much my thing. Thanks though, goodluck Jason.

Doug
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yup you got it Doug. Understand it's not something you want to tackle

I guess I just need to find a decent quality adapter, buy three and some shrink wrap etc.
                  Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Should be some nicer quality adapters out there, check out headfi.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Isn't that a review forum?

Found these that appear to be decent quality, not horrendously expensive and available in/from Canada:

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

That looks pretty nice, and not really a review forum. It's for headphones and what not which use those types of cables a lot. They do reviews over there of course but it's just a headphone audio community. Wouldn't you want the male RCA ends? So you could plug it directly into your receiver?

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well initially I was looking at using some unused, quality interconnects I already own and 4-6" adapters. If I get those ^^^ at 1.5' I may just use them directly to the amp and get one male to female RCA adapter for the sub cable.
                          Jason

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Found a couple of affordable decent looking quality options!

$14.93

$9.99

The Belkin's a bit longer than I need but they look to be a cut above.
                            Jason

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

I sure can't make money at 10-20 bucks for a adapter cable. These must be China cables. That's fine, for what they are, just don't expect the best transducing of audio signal comparable with you know silver etc... My market is higher end, high grade, high performance. I have to charge for it. My labor is expensive, and the materials are even worse now.

Well, glad you are finding some options out there man!
                              Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Yeah I was looking at getting some custom made ones (with one female RCA for the sub) via Blue Jeans (their MSA-1 cable) at like $25/per pair (X3) plus shipping, exchange etc as I didn't want the cheap $3-$5 crap I was mostly finding out there. I feel the above are a decent middle ground for what is a very secondary system (not my main HT).

Still decent quality, though obviously not as high end as what you or even Blue Jeans would make but also a lot easier on the wallet for something that doesn't really get any critical listening .
                                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Miffed to discover that the Belkin's went up $6/per pair since I posted that link when I went to order last night :evil: I got the Cable Matters ones instead! :F
                                  Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Sounds like what Amazon does, you look at something, then a day later the price has went up. I swear I think they have an individual pricing capability if they know you are interested in something, it goes up. I had it go up while in my cart one day. I raised cane, and they gave me the prior price. I have seen prices change on the weekends at Amazon, and you would not think price patrol would even be working on weekends. :roll:
                                    Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Yeah Amazon's great for a lot of stuff but other times their pricing can be severely out of whack and they can have some weird policies/practices.

I think the price may have gone up on those Belkins as apparently their stock was low ("Only 5 left!") but really, who knows?
                                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"