X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

RS232 and Controlling the volume of an AV Receiver

Does anyone know how to set up a HTPC to control the volume for of a pre-amp/receiver with RS232?

I have my Harmony remote that controls everything. HTPC to Marantz SR7002 to speakers. I have controlled my HTPC in the past with the Harmony when the OS was Windows XP. The problem is that my current remote (Streamzap) doesn't play nicely with Windows 7 64-bit. So I thought about a different remote, but then looked at bluetooth as an option.
    I'm thinking of getting a Logitech diNovo Mini since bluetooth works soooo much faster than an IR remote on a pc.

However, I do not want to use the diNovo to control pc PLUS have to use another remote to control the volume. The diNovo has volume buttons, but since I'm using an HDMI connection from the PC to Marantz, my only option of changing the volume is via the Marantz. I know the RS232 port is there for remote application use, but how do I go about doing that? The only time I've ever used a RS232 port is to console into something. Any help?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'm confused as to what would be doing the RS-232 control--which unit would be sending the RS-232 commands.

I have a couple devices from Universal Remote Control (now URC) that do RS-232 controlling, in addition to IR, limited RF, and now even IP. You may want to look into that.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Can also do it with an HTPC and a network remote I'm pretty sure.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
        I'm confused as to what would be doing the RS-232 control--which unit would be sending the RS-232 commands.

I have a couple devices from Universal Remote Control (now URC) that do RS-232 controlling, in addition to IR, limited RF, and now even IP. You may want to look into that.
        PC controlling the Marantz' volume. That way I can use the PC's bluetooth remote, press volume, and it would control the volume on the Marantz itself.
        The whole point is that I would not buy the diNovo bluetooth remote unless it was possible to control the Marantz volume via a PC.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"