X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellowfin342
    • Dec 2008

sending audio over cat5

Here is my problem.

I want to send video signal to my projector and sound signal to a remote receiver via cat 5. Both are in the same room, but it was setup for rear projection so the wiring is a little off but Cat5e is avalable to do this if posssible.
    The receiver is a Denon4308CI with Wifi and Ethernet.

The source is an hd configured/bluray equiped computer with DVI outputs and audio outputs which works great. Problem again is the distance between the computer and the projector and receiver.

Thanks

Bill
    Last edited by yellowfin342; 27 December 2008, 15:59 Saturday. Reason: I left something out
  • yellowfin342
    • Dec 2008

Here is a simplification of the question.

Is it possible to send SPDIF signal via cat 5e with a special spliced connection using the cat5e twisted pairs ?

Audio card to spdif output to cat 5e to spdif to receiver. I want to use the existing Cat5e because the runs already exist in the wall.

Thanks

Bill

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I wouldn't splice it. You need to pick up some Balun's that convert the 75ohm signal to run over CAT5.

We use Niles, but there are plenty of manufacturers that sell them.

Getting HDMI/DVI over CAT5 is a different story. They make them that use 2 CAT5's, but out of the 4 brands we have tried none work.

Kevin D.

Comment

• yellowfin342
        • Dec 2008

Thanks Kevin

It's an optical Link which complicates it that much more, prob impossible.

Any ideas about sending audio signal directly from computer out the rj45 port to the network and then to the receiver on the network ?

I have never heard of this but never thought of it either ! So it would be playing a blurAY DISC IN THE COMPUTER AND OUTPUTTING AUDIO TO THE NETWORK to the receiver. Possible ?

Thanks

bd

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

I've used an optical to coaxial converter when using CAT5 with only an optical out. I want to say they're around $35.

There are solutions to send a digital stream over TCP/IP (network), but they are not cheap.

Kevin D.

Comment

• yellowfin342
            • Dec 2008

Thanks again

So that solution would be optical to converter to coaxial to Cat5 to coaxial to optical input or the coaxial input on the receiver ?

If I can use the Cat5 for Audio like that , it would be a good long term solution as long as I use the front projector.

Manufacturer name ?

Bill
            Last edited by yellowfin342; 28 December 2008, 01:07 Sunday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'm very keen on HDMI extenders out now, over a SINGLE Cat 5 cable. These are emerging products, and several companies were showing new products at CEDIA this year. Gefen just announced their version of it in the last 10 days or so.

A little limited on range. No experience yet on how well any of them work, but I could definitely use several in my house.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Chris,

The only HDMI over one CAT5 available right now converts HDMI to component and then back to HDMI on the other end. They don't advertise this is how they do it. Not sure what the other companies are doing, but if they can't get it to work over two CAT5's I'm worried.

Bill,

If you have an open coaxial input on your receiver, just use that. It's the same signal, one runs over light one runs over copper. It's a very valid long tern solution. In fact I did it last year to get a PS3 within bluetooth range of the theater and have the audio run up a floor to the equipment closet.

Digital converter:

Balun: (need two)

The balun's are just some resistors, so you don't have to get expensive ones.

Kevin D.

Comment

• yellowfin342
                  • Dec 2008

Thanks Kevin

Yes, I could do that but the computer /projector are in one room and the sound distribution system in another. The two are " connected " via Cat5E Network. I could run a coaxial wire on the floor for each movie we watch, then disconnect it when the movie was over but I am exploring other possibilities maybe using the network or the Cat5e wiring.

I think I can get it to work using VLC and its server function but that does not play BluRay so far as I know.

The receiver I am looking at Denon4308ci and 3808ci have network connections and IP addresses which can receive codecs. I guess I am looking for a player that can send audio to the receiver over the network, like VLC does, but also plays BluRay. I am checking to see if I can rip the Bluray Disc to ISO file and then get VLC to play it. I rip to ISO all the time so it's a matter of trying to get VLC to play it.

BTW, if you have another recommendation on receiver or separates in the same $ range, I am all ears !

Thanks Again, Its all very interesting and I am learning a lot

Bill

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Kevin:

I'd like to hear more about what you know regarding HDMI over Cat 5. The biggest reason I've been investigating the technology is my own house, which currently distributes video throughout the home over RG-6 coax composite. I want to go full digital HD video distribution, so 1080p HDMI. My limitations are the house pre-wiring, which has RG-6, Cat 5 telephone, and Cat 5 network jacks run to multiple panels throughout the house. (from the house's central equipment room) Each room in the house has 1-2 of the panels. So the best solution for me is to distribute HDMI through the available Cat-5 runs. Although it would be possible for me to do it over two Cat-5 runs, (i.e. to two jacks in the room, and then run a patch cable from the far jack to the actual video display, or by hijacking the Cat-5 telephone run) the most straightforward solution is just HDMI over single Cat-5.

So what's this about Cat-5 solutions not working? And are you saying that single Cat 5 extenders lmiit the resolution? The companies are still claiming full 1080p, even HDMI 1.3. The companies I know of, with single Cat-5 are Gefen, Atlona, and... shoot, can't remember the 3rd offhand.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• yellowfin342
                      • Dec 2008

If I had a computer in the room where the receiver is located, a media room, and another computer where the projector is located, then could I use Windows media center in the first computer to send audio to the receiver and video to the second computer where the projector was located ?
                      That seems pretty straightforward.

bill

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"