X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbone
    • Apr 2003

Computer sound card, SPDIF and the RSX-1055

I need a sound card with AC3 pass through and SPDIF out. As far as I can gather my current sound card (sound blaster live value) can't do this. I gather the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 can do it, although apparently its digital output voltage is considerably higher than the SPDIF standard. Creative claims that this is OK but I want to be sure. Basically if you have been able to get AC3 pass through on SPDIF to a rotel receiver could you please post your sound card?
  • ZX 6R
    • Jan 2003

I set this up for a buddy of mine this week. He had an onboard soundcard. It was a brand I've never heard of before, Avance Logic. Anyways it seemed to me the hard part was finding the right codec. Save yourself alot of time, grief and headscratching, go to sourceforge and find the one from Valex(freeware). It seems head and shoulders above the rest. As for players BS player seemed to have the best support for Ac-3. It's definitely way cool to hear DIVX stuff in 5.1 !!!

Comment

• suarez
      • Jan 2003

hi,

codec needed for pass through? hmm, this works with my audigy player without.
      i connected it to my 1055 and set "no AC3 encoding" and "only digital out" in the other menu.
      the other way is to set it in the systems hardware menu.
      it works fine and the 1055 chnages the digital modes very quick, also the dts mode.

the output can be set to 48 khz, cause the internal prozessor from the audigy makes only real 48 and samples this up to 96khz.
      when set to 48 khz, its possible to change to other sound modes, with 96khz my 1055 was hard set to pcm 2 channel and no change was possible.

normally ervery card with digital pass through can be used, codecs are only needed when the analog multichannel outputs are in use.
      i htink the processor in the 1055 is a little better.

i hope u understand my words and i gave a little help.

cya
      suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
      sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• TonyPTX
        • Apr 2003

You have a couple of options here. One is to buy a new sound card with digital out. Another option is to keep your current SBLive Value card and purchase Creative's Optical Digital I/O 2 card (an accessory for the Live and Audigy cards) that will give you a digital out. See this link here for details.

Tony.

"Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."
        "Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."

Comment

• pbone
          • Apr 2003

Thanks for your reply- unfortunately my version of the SB live value is one of those with spdif ext- which even with the digital i/o card cannot do AC3 pass through.

Comment

• vfrjim
            • Apr 2003

I have used many soundcards for SPDIF out, my current one(my favorite is the M-audio Delta 410) but my SBlive with hoontech Coax/toslink adapter worked fine, also my onboard sound card (C-media 8738 ) on my Asus P4B266 also passed DD/DTS fine. The reason the delta 410 is my favorite is because it passes bit by bit correct and does not alter the sampling freq like the SBlive does (so does the Audigy2) the ASIO driver allows DTS audio CD's to play in the 44.1 rate with the Delta.

Comment

• pbone
              • Apr 2003

I ended up getting the Hercules Fortissimo III which is also linux compatible. I think it does resampling but it will do for now.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"