X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Mac questions

My Laptop took a dump on me and now I am in the market.
    I would like to stay in the 1 grand range.
    I don't run any hard core type of gaming.
    I do run two different photo editing software packages.
    I do surf the net and I work a fare amount on MS Word, Excell & Access.
    I have a 12 year old and 9 year old who are budding computer users.

I am intrigued by the ease that you can create DVD's with the Mac software.

I have had several to mention the Macbook/Macbook Pro or even the Imac desktop.

I don't know a lot about Mac, but a buddy of mine says you can run two operating systems and one of them can be Windows and that pretty much any software I have should be compatible with with a Mac.

Anyone confirm this?

Also, do they ever offer deals on their products?
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Using a free application from Apple, you can run dual operating systems on your Mac. I run Mac OS-X and Windows XP-Pro.

Creativity suites are amazing. Macbook is somewhat limited with graphics, but the iMac is superb across the board.

Good luck!
    ~Nick

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Yes, you can run Windows on a Mac using several tools (BootCamp or Parallels are the popular two I think). There is an Office Mac version (which I have) that has Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. There is no version of Access on the Mac so you'd have to switch to mySQL or go with a dual boot setup.

For $1000, I think you'd have to stick with an entry level MacBook ($1100) or iMac ($1200).

I like my MacBook a lot, in fact, I rarely use my PC now. The bundled software and the number of low/no cost developed packages is nice as well.

I do not see many "deals" on Apple stuff, but you can get an educational discount if you meet the requirements (college student or faculty of an educational institution). The other option is to buy refurbished.
      Danish

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a cousin who works for an elementary school and I checked the differance in price. If I am willing to spend a little more I can save as much as $400 just by letting her make the purchase....not bad.

Still considering.

Thanks again,
        Russ
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

Update*

Here is what I got:
          Mac Book 2.2GHz Color: WHITE

With the following configuration:

* Processor 065-7558 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
          * Memory 065-7561 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
          * Hard Drive 065-7564 120GB Serial ATA @ 5400rpm
          * Optical Drive 065-7568 SD 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
          * Modem 065-7569 None
          * Apple Software - iWork 065-7553 iWork '08 Preinstalled
          * Keyboard /Mac OS Language 065-7576 Keyboard/Mac OS
          Ships by:

Nov 19 - Nov 21

Delivers by:

Nov 21 - Nov 26
          IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Nice, you will like it!
            Danish

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

UPDATE

Laptop shipped from China Monday and was delivered today....thats fast. So, I am trying to learn this booger and all I can say is I never thought a computer could be this differant. I love the way it feels, everything about it the keys the solid platform everything feels very good.

I have been working on this for a couple of hours now and I am still trying to get around. I just downloaded Handbrake so I can get my current home DVD content onto my computer and hopefully from that point I can take and make some better stuff.

What I am hoping to do with the current DVD's is to create a sort of greatest hits catelogue of my team over the past season or two. Those game are on DVD right now so I am hopeful that handbrake or some other program can allow me to take certain clips and add some nice text and various other highlights and edit it all together for the boys who played for us. I did purchase Final Cut 4 HD which if I can get the clips should allow me to put it all together into a nice dvd for them. I hope.

Thanks for everyone's help and anyone with Mac experience or taking clips from one dvd and creating something like I mentioned, please feel free to holler.
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"