• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Knight
    • Jan 2016

Help with transfer PC digital library to Mac OS

Greetings all.

Background.

I have spent the past several years ripping a large CD collection to create a my own digital library. It was a very simple approach in Windows Media Player, ripping everything as high quality mp3s. When that had trouble identifying albums, art, and tracks, I just manually fixed it. Totally unaware at the the time of third party products to help ease the pain. I am sure there are many who know the countless hours. But, I was really happy with how Windows Media Player let me organize my digital library. I am simple: Album, Artists, Genera. I am not a complicated user but a meticulous curator. I do transfer a few albums as needed to my Google Phone Nexus 5 where Google Music is the manager and player. I can drop my album by directory straight to the phone through a USB connection and that has been great so far.

Current Status.

I have had to move to a Macbook Pro for work reasons. I actually like it. So far I am not having any work flow issues. But, now I have this large (for me, approx 1500 CDs) digital library sitting on my PC and backed multiple times (paranoid to lose all that work). I am looking for a Window Media like product for my Macbook (El Capitan). My "interweb" searing by no means complete has revealed several possibilities so far: Swinsain, Tomahawk, and Ecoute to name a few as these few names keep reoccurring. I like the way Google Music organizes and plays mp3s on my Google phone but do not like fighting the constant ads and fighting the redirection to the music store.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a music player and manager that will help me convert to working in the Mac OS? Hopefully it will keep all my hard work in tact when I convert. What is the best way to convert? Any pitfalls to watch out that I may learn for your experience?

Best Wishes,

DK
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If you want comprehensive library management and to continue importing in a similar fashion, you may be best off with iTunes. I use other players when I do use a Mac (I'm converted since about 2005, heavily so; when I have to run Windows, I do it on eBay sourced used Macs, such as my 2010 Mac Pro, or my 2011 17" Macbook pro. You COULD continue to use Windows media player by using either BootCamp or Parallels, for example, but maybe you want to try some dedicated players, like Vox, Bit Perfect, Fidelia.

But, they tend to be focused on bit perfect playback of formats that aren't lossy compressed, such as AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, ETC. So, with your MP3 library, not necessarily the optimum match, as they don't have a focus on library management, though most due support fairly reasonable playlist management. in fact, a common option is to allow you to use iTunes as the library and playback manager, but their program is the actual playback engine. This can be fairly important to some people, as for example, VOX supports FLAC playback, which iTunes doesn't. (FLAC being kind of like a ZIP compressed version of AIFF).

Of the three players you mention, which one you might prefer probably has a lot to do with your likely listening habits- Tomahawk would make sense if you have a variety of sources you want to work with. Otherwise, from what you've described, I would think Swinsain is likely your best bet.

I use digital streamers such as the NAD M50 or AURALiC Aires. I rip the music separately using XLD, and store it in a "standard" format recognized by all streamer apps and machines I've come across, which is the Artist name at the top level folder, individual album folders for each album, and though I rip to FLAC or AIFF and embed the album art I also include a 500x500 or larger jpg for the album art. Everything I've tried works with that- Aurender, SoTM, my Aires, my M50, etc. If it's in AIFF, then most Mac programs work fine with that arrangement, too, and all you have to do is index or update the index.

BTW, what do you use for actual playback?
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dark Knight
      • Jan 2016

JonMarsh,

Thank you so much for your informative help. It looked like the post was languishing and I really need help with the decision. My initial research into iTunes made me nervous (http://www.wired.com/2015/11/itunes-alternatives/). I probably should have mentioned that I was using the dual boot until the windows side started causing troubles with machine. I was "encouraged" due to time loss to remove the dual boot and work in the Mac OS environment, only.

I like to be meticulous with my collection in terms of cataloguing, organizing, and getting all the data correct. As mentioned the only organization I care for is album, artist, and genera. I do not even make play lists. I just chose an album and enjoy. For playback, it depends who is around either at work or at home. At work, if no one is around, I use a Creative Technology system with a subwoofer. I am actually quite pleased with it. At home, I feed the audio to a Yamaha CA2010 integrated amp which is paired with JBL L36's. It is a beautiful arrangement. If the house is populated, I switch off the JBLs and use AKG K701 headphones. Again, I love that set-up too.

Thank you for your suggesting, I really appreciate it.

DK

Comment

• Steve Manning
        • Dec 2006

Dark Knight ...... I use JRiver Media Center on my pc. They also have a version for Mac's. It will do audio, video, pictures etc., and is configurable to the Nth degree for cataloging, organization, meta data, viewing, you name it. Might be worth a look at, http://www.jriver.com/. It's not free, but I believe like most software, you can use it for 30 days to try it.
        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Jriver is admired by a lot of users- if I was using a computer based setup still, I'd probably be looking into it. Hate to admit it, but I was NOT aware there was a Mac version.

I just downloaded the Mac version to try out for those times I'm doing a "portable" gig and not carrying the Aires around with me (it likes to be tied into a local WiFi network for control relay to an iPad, and that isn't always possible).
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Jriver is admired by a lot of users- if I was using a computer based setup still, I'd probably be looking into it. Hate to admit it, but I was NOT aware there was a Mac version.

I just downloaded the Mac version to try out for those times I'm doing a "portable" gig and not carrying the Aires around with me (it likes to be tied into a local WiFi network for control relay to an iPad, and that isn't always possible).
            It's somewhat new on the scene, a couple of years as I recall. They also have a Linux version as well. If you play around in all three environments (or even two of them) they have a Master License option that gives you all three options as well, at a considerable discount price.
            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Dark Knight
              • Jan 2016

Thank you for the further suggestions. I will look into J River as well. It is an overwhelming step.

DK

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I use Foobar2000 on the Windows side and JRiver on the MAC side. All my media is sitting in FLAC format on my Media Server...so this was the best option for me instead of having iTunes go nuts on everything and make it a real pain.

This way I can use the music on whatever I'm listening to.

-Dan
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Dark Knight
                  • Jan 2016

OK. It is the weekend now and I can continue to make progress. Before continuing on my mac, with everything backed-up, I performed a dry run on the original PC the digital library on Windows Media Player. With great trepidation, I installed the trial version of JRiver Media Centre 21. It is love at first site. I transferred all of my data and organizational preferences as existed in Windows Media Player. It has kept all the work done by hand on obscure albums. The album art that did not transfer was album art that I for some reason just cold not get to "stick", even in Windows Media Player, no matter how many times I changed it. An odd album or two in either the Decca, Living Presence, to similar box sets. I can't remember now.

At any rate, I will down load the mac version and continue. It says on the website that a newer build is on the Mac 21 board. Should I go there? And, rather than transferring the library to the Mac, how is to run J River on my Mac but directing it to music on a dedicated external drive? I will gladly purchase this no problem if it continues to save all the work. Does it have some sort of cooperation with MusicBranz or something?

DK

Comment

• TEK
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Hi

JRiver can work in several ways.
                    1) You have a server with JRiver. Clients connect to the server and use that library. When clients load files from the server you have two ways it might work
                    a) The server transcode files and delivers a stream to the client to the client. In this case the work is done on the server and there is very little demand on the client
                    b) The server and the client "see" the same files. You do this by letting the server access the files trough a global name that is the same for both the server and the client*
                    2) You have a shared file area. Each client maps that up into it's own library

I think that solution 1) b) is the best solution. When using that solution you only have one library to maintain. JRiver can also be set up so that you may maintain the library from both the server and the clients.
                    But you have to have all codeds on the client, if you mounts iso files you have to be able to do that on all clients and so on. With 1) a) the server will handle all that.

* Example of a path might be \\myserver\music and you would use that path from both the server and the client. You must not use c:\music on the server, because the client computer will find nothing when it checks the c:\music folder to find the file to play (naturally - as that file is on the server)

You will have to figure out what this means in a mac world - I have no clue ;-)
                    MusizBranz? I have no clue...

Edit: you may of course replace "server" with "my network drive", "my nas driver" or whatever media you are storing your media on.
                    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Dark Knight
                      • Jan 2016

I am continuing with the project this morning. While I now have my library backed-up in several formats, I am going to have have J River run from a FAT32 external hard drive. J River also easily found the blank album covers by asking it to search the file itself; it blew me away as I believe I have some obscure stuff. In the past, I had used to third party product to grab album art cover through a data base (https://musicbrainz.org) but hopefully that will no longer be necessary. I am looking forward to this process now of organizing and "re-organizing" more efficiently. I really appreciate the time you have taken to help.

Best Wishes,

DK

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Glad this is working out well for you. I'm looking at putting JRiver on one my MacBooks for portable use when I can't use a streamer like the Aires.

I would use the current "stable" version for where you are now, get familiar with that and have a solid setup before looking at versions that are more like Betas from the Mac 21 board. If possible, try them out on a separate system until you get more experience with how well things are working. (just a cautious viewpoint, here...)
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dark Knight
                          • Jan 2016

My thoughts exactly. Its a great program and very intuitive. Yes, I have already encountered issues but they are not with the program they are my penchant for leaping before I look when playing around then having to un%$#@ what I %$#@-up. But, it is always fun exploring from the safety of multiple back-ups.

DK

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dark Knight
                            . But, it is always fun exploring from the safety of multiple back-ups.

DK
                            Exactly the right way to do it...
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"