This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Ha ha, it's cheaper than buying the new Samsung Dual Format Player...

And besides, the games I have on 360 (COD4, Halo3, MOH:Airborne) are already bought and played. The only game I have for the PS3 is Motorstorm that came with it, which is cool. I definitely will pickup Resistance used when I turn in a bunch of my games/movies (maybe even my ps2)...but other than that, the PS3 games just aren't there yet.

Course this means I'll have to get a new Processor when Rotel or someone else comes out with a good HDMI (with audio codecs) one... Since the rest of my stuff is Rotel, I'll probably see what they come to offer...but who knows, might be a great time to upgrade to new stuff.

Ugh, it's a never ending cycle.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

got the 80g motorstorm package. haven't done any of the updates yet but the thing is a damn good time. sent out for my 5 free movies and pre ordered the die hard series. this is the first gaming system i have owned since super nintendo so i am a bit blown away. :T
      chris

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Saw my first ceramic white PS3 here in Singapore. Nice looking, for those who would be interested in it.

Also saw "Time Crisis 4". It's got a gun with it, two-handed and painted orange, and comes with sensors that you put on the screen. Then it senses where you're pointing and shooting, so you can shoot at the things on screen. Was kind of neat.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

I like the sound of Timecrisis, should be good.

So update 2.01 was released. It seems to improve response with the playstation network feeds service. Hasn't crashed either.

I got Ratchet and Crank over the weekend. No multiplayer or online but it's great, mindless fun. The graphics and animation is spectacular - a bit like playing in a Pixar movie.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• riceaterslc
            • Aug 2006

is anyone having a problem w/ audio sync? i am running opt. digital to my pre/pro and the audio is behind the video. the only settings on the pre/pro are to delay the audio, not speed it up. i searched through the menu options on the ps3 and came up w/ nothing. anyone have suggestions? its really annoying!
            chris

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Not having any problem with the audio being synched with 2.01 at all. Check the system update if you haven't already.

Only thing I can tell you to check is in the sound settings, make sure you have it set to Optical out and configured for DD/DTS/PCM settings that your Pre accepts. You might always want to check to see if you are sending out the PCM or bitstream version to your processor, that could be an issue possibly.
              -Dan

Comment

• riceaterslc
                • Aug 2006

pewter,

thanks for the reply. unfortunately i have tried all your recommendations and nothing helps. next thing i am going to do is play with the speaker distance settings and maybe i can get something worked out.
                chris

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, I've never heard of sync problems with the PS3. Sorry!
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Another possibility it could be is your TV.

What is your TV's Native Resolution (720/1080/i/p)? Make sure it's set to that resolution on the PS3 and not a different resolution where you TV has to process the picture and change the format (causing a delay). Also if you have a TV that has a "Game" mode on it. I'd try it. My Samsung DLP has a "Game" feature that turns off a lot of the picture processing it does so there isn't audio-synch issues. Might be something to look for.

-Dan
                    -Dan

Comment

• riceaterslc
                      • Aug 2006

well i figured out the problem is my pre/pro, not the PS3 luckily. whenever i enable the sub output (not currently running one but it enables HP xover for other speakers) it screws up the audio. if i turn the sub output off, i have no problems with the audio. i just recently enabled the sup output because the speakers were not happy with full frequencies. oh well, just have to wait for a new pre/pro i guess
                      chris

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

ugh... not a good pre/pro!
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Pez
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by riceaterslc
                          well i figured out the problem is my pre/pro, not the PS3 luckily. whenever i enable the sub output (not currently running one but it enables HP xover for other speakers) it screws up the audio. if i turn the sub output off, i have no problems with the audio. i just recently enabled the sup output because the speakers were not happy with full frequencies. oh well, just have to wait for a new pre/pro i guess
                          Which pre/pro do you own?

Comment

• riceaterslc
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Pez
                            Which pre/pro do you own?

outlaw 990. i have been extremely happy with it so far, have had it about 16 months. i wish the ps3 had multichannel analog output...
                            chris

Comment

• Pez
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by riceaterslc
                              outlaw 990. i have been extremely happy with it so far, have had it about 16 months. i wish the ps3 had multichannel analog output...
                              I almost got one of those.

I hear you about the multi-channel inputs but given thats its a video game system I dont expect it to have those connections. It kills me though I can get next gen sound from my HD-DVD player but not the PS3. If I had to pick a side in the format war it would be HD-DVD only for the fact I can take advantage of the next gen sound without having to upgrade my pre/pro (rotel 1068).

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

MAJOR update released today for the PS3! Version 2.1 is out, including Divx, WMV, and Blu-Ray 1.1. I consider this to be very, very big. Downloading it now!

If you head online on the PlayStation Network right now, you’ll be prompted to download the latest PlayStation Firmware update, …
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Hmm...interesting they start supporting WMV and VC-1.

Comment

• riceaterslc
                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    MAJOR update released today for the PS3! Version 2.1 is out, including Divx, WMV, and Blu-Ray 1.1. I consider this to be very, very big. Downloading it now!

http://www.psu.com/Firmware-v210-out...0002204-p0.php
                                    sweet! divx! that is awesome, thanks for the post.
                                    chris

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

I tried SACD for the first time on the PS3. Pretty good! I haven't tried it in my theater, yet, so I can't say for sure, but through a HDMI 1.3 TV it sounds nice so far. No problems playing it, either.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

I like in frimware 2.1 the "world view screensaver" or whatever you want to call it when playing music (hit the square button). Looks nice with the sunrise and sunsets it does. They need to add more stuff like that (even for downloads).
                                        -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I noticed that when playing my "Jazz at the Pawnshop" SACD. Cool visuals.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Thinking really hard at getting a PS3. For the following reasons

-Play BluRay (from what I am seeing at work, and everywhere else, looks like bluray is gonna take the cake
                                            -Get rid of the PS2
                                            -I can sell my Denon upscale DVD/SACD player.
                                            -I can remove my 10 year old Denon CD player from the rack (I really like it though)

So few questions.
                                            -How loud is the PS3? Fans etc? Is it annoying?
                                            -Can you power down up/down PS3 with remote?
                                            -How is SACD multichannel sent? HDMI only?
                                            -What model would you get and why? (still a few 60 gigs left in the area) or 80gig. (or wait for...?)
                                            -Any other suggestions?
                                            Last edited by Race Car Driver; 29 December 2007, 14:26 Saturday.
                                            B&W

Comment

• riceaterslc
                                              • Aug 2006

1) I don't even notice it, and it is about 4 ft from my head. Fan on projector (H31) is louder and even that is barely audible.

2. You can power down, haven't tried power up.

3. Don't know.

4. 80g motorstorm. I don't know what the prices are in regular stores but the 80g motorstorm, 80g standard and 60g standard are all $499 in our PX. I am not sure if there are any differences between the 80g and 60g, but its a no brainer to pay the same price and get a free game.

hope that helps.
                                              chris

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

1) It's really quite (especially when compared to the Xbox 360). You have to be about within 3 feet to hear it (maybe even less and it's not annoying, just the sound of moving air -- not the fan itself).

2) Yes power down and turn on through the PS3 remote -- press and hold the PS3 logo button that's it.

3) Yes it's is sent only through HDMI, however all current Firmware releases 2.0 and beyond only allow 5.1/2-ch PCM. Earlier firmware allowed multi-channel through digital optical, but now only 2ch.

4) I'd say go for the 80GB version, get all the features, better video card in it and a free game to play on it. Plus more storage space for music/videos/games and what not.
                                                -Dan

Comment

• blk100rr
                                                  • Dec 2007

Has anyone heard anything about a ps3 coming with 7.1 analog outs?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                    Thinking really hard at getting a PS3
                                                    Great! I think you'll be happy. My input:

So few questions.
                                                    -How loud is the PS3? Fans etc? Is it annoying?
                                                    I actually think it's a little louder than some of the other guys above. But no, I wouldn't call it annoying. I don't have a X360 to compare it to. In my new house, I have it in a dedicated equipment room, so it doesn't matter to me.

-Can you power down up/down PS3 with remote?
                                                    Yes, with the Sixaxis controller and the PS3 bluetooth remote. There are a few products popping up in small markets here and there to control the PS3 via IR, so you can program controls into a learning remote, but they are limited in their ability for on/off. (probably not a big deal, though, because if you're wanting to turn it on, you're either playing a game with the Sixaxis controller, or putting a movie or CD into it to watch/listen and turn it on at the front panel anyway)

-How is SACD multichannel sent? HDMI only?
                                                    Yes, as explained above, only capable over HDMI. Works great for me, sounds beautiful.

-What model would you get and why? (still a few 60 gigs left in the area) or 80gig. (or wait for...?)
                                                    I also recommend the 80GB with Motorstorm. No limitations to PS2 playback and USB ports like other models, and slightly newer hardware than the 60GB. (plus another 33% storage room, which you may not need until you download a lot of stuff and rip a lot of media) (plus Motorstorm free, which is one of the most popular)

-Any other suggestions?
                                                    May want to pick up a remote control as I mentioned, either the bluetooth version or an IR workaround like www.schmartz.com. Whenever you get the PS3, connect to the internet and download the latest firmware version. Then go into the Playstation store and check out all the downloadable trailers and such. Some fun demoes and free games, too. Then post here and tell us what you think! (and what games you have, so maybe we can all play online!)
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

On that note, I just got Rock Band for the PS3 for the whole family. Fun stuff! And I think I actually like the drums better than playing the guitar.
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by blk100rr
                                                        Has anyone heard anything about a ps3 coming with 7.1 analog outs?
                                                        PS3 is a gaming system, therefore you won't see it with a set of 7.1 analog out, or any analog outputs for that matter.
                                                        -Dan

Comment

• blk100rr
                                                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                          PS3 is a gaming system, therefore you won't see it with a set of 7.1 analog out, or any analog outputs for that matter.
                                                          Kind of afraid of that. I was hoping that Sony would really try to crush the 360 and the HD DVD formatt, by increasing the overall customer needs with the PS3

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Holy crap, Rock Band is a bunch of fun.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Well the PS3 is nowhere near crushing the 360 by any means. And I don't think we'll see a true winner as far as the HD format goes. Especially with the new combo players.

I've been looking at rockband it does look pretty fun

Comment

• Marzen
                                                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                Holy crap, Rock Band is a bunch of fun.
                                                                Ditto... Look out for HokieIrish 'tho. This kid handed me my @ss in an online Score Duel with 'Ride the Lightning'.
                                                                I do wish they'd enable online chat however. It's rather odd not being able to communicate what songs you'd like to play together.
                                                                -Ward
                                                                What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2001

I'd really love to have the PS3 as a dedicated Bluray player. The only hitch for me is I am a putz when it comes to computers and all those firmware upgrades scare the heck out of me. I also looked at that controller and it made my head swim. No, guys, I am no gamer and don't want to be. I just want to watch hi-def movies. I don't have an internet line to my theater and don't want one, so I guess I should really be looking at a dedicated player. I just wish the PS3 was a little more friendlier to old farts like me.
                                                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

George,

I don't own a PS3 (yet), but do however have an HD-DVD player.The firmware upgardes are very simple. Pretty much point and click the prompts.

As far as a line running to your theater, the PS3 does have a wireless ability.

I'm also considering getting a PS3. It just seems the best bang for the buck/performance piece out at this time. Especially for someone like me, that wants to try out SACD.
                                                                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes
                                                                      George,

I don't own a PS3 (yet), but do however have an HD-DVD player.The firmware upgardes are very simple. Pretty much point and click the prompts.
                                                                      When it comes to computers, John, nothing is "simple" to me. ops:

I am also looking at HD DVD, but Toshiba is very nice to folk like me: they'll send you firmware upgrades on disc. You just pop it in the player and away you go. Panasonic ( I'm looking at the BD30 ) also send you a disc. With the PS3 ( they don't send discs ), it appears I would have to connect it to the internet via a router ( and that's okay ) but then how do I get a picture so I can see what I am doing for the download. Aww, it's just so overwhelming to this old fella.

BTW, John, what HD DVD player do you have and have you had any trouble playing discs. I am considering either the A3 or the A30, probably the 30 because it sends 1080p 24.
                                                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

I hear ya George.

As far picture, it, sound, etc, is sent via wireless router. No worries there.

I own a Toshiba AX1. The only time I've ever had trouble with DVD's, were a few rentals from Netflix. And that was a few firmwares ago. No issues in quite sometime. And that was two or three that had good scratchs on them.
                                                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2001
                                                                          • 7637

Good to hear about the Toshiba, John. For Bluray, I really think I'll be going with the Panasonic BD30. It doesn't seem to have any issues and has been given some great thumbs up reviews.
                                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                            Well the PS3 is nowhere near crushing the 360 by any means.
                                                                            Huh... I'm curious, what makes you say that?

Originally posted by Marzen
                                                                            Ditto... Look out for HokieIrish 'tho. This kid handed me my @ss in an online Score Duel with 'Ride the Lightning'.
                                                                            I do wish they'd enable online chat however. It's rather odd not being able to communicate what songs you'd like to play together.
                                                                            -Ward
                                                                            I got hooked last night on Rock Band playing, you know, the kind of thing where you're playing, and you finish, and you're like, "okay, I'll just try ONE more... okay, now I've got just one more song in the set, so I'll just finish it... okay, I'll just try the first song of the next set, and that will be the LAST ONE... okay, I love the next song, I gotta try that..."

... and so on.

So I ended up finishing the complete tour of the guitar on easy. (I haven't owned a game console in 25 years, and have no experience with Guitar Hero and such) I'm surprised how I'm improving, although it's going slowly. At least they give you an entire solo tour through the complete collection (pretty much) before they move you up to the next difficulty level. I've downloaded the Metallica pack, so I played "Ride the Lightning" at the end of the marathon last night. Holy crap that was hard, and just on the easy setting! But I made it through, with either 4 or 5 stars.

Now I think it's just gonna get harder and harder, doing 4 note songs, then 5 note songs, hammer-ons, and hammer-offs. I hope they're gentle and take me through it slowly.

I was hoping to hit "Enter Sandman" at the end of the Solo Tour, but I guess they don't include it on the easy setting. Gonna have to wait until the end of Medium, or maybe even Hard, to hit that.

On the World Band Tour, though, when we play it as a family, we've run out of fans that we can gain on the easy setting, so they're already making us move up to the medium level, and I don't think we're ready yet.

Oh, and as for the online chat, I haven't tried online play yet, so we'll have to see!
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2005
                                                                              • 1792

I have a problem with SACD and my PS3 im hoping someone can help me with. I have my PS3 hooked up to my Rotel 1069 via HDMI. When i put a SACD into my PS3 (20gig version) i get the error "playback of this disc is prohibited with the attached device."

Any thoughts?

Before you post I have done the following.

1.) gone into audio settings and selected all audio formats my processor can handle.

2.) re-done #1 at least 4 times.

Customer service at Rotel says he was able to get it to work on his 1069...so im guessing its possible.

Want to know what customer service at PS3 said "sometimes and very often SACDs are not made proberly causing playback issues...its not the PS3" :roll: 8O :M

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

Hmmm... I'd re-do step #2 a couple times. (just kidding)

Two things come to mind for me:
                                                                                1. I don't think the 20GB model has SACD capability
                                                                                2. Whatever receiver you stream to over HDMI has to be able to receive it, either in native format or decoded to PCM. Are you sure the 1069 can do this? I didn't think so.
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Pez
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 472

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                                  I have a problem with SACD and my PS3 im hoping someone can help me with. I have my PS3 hooked up to my Rotel 1069 via HDMI. When i put a SACD into my PS3 (20gig version) i get the error "playback of this disc is prohibited with the attached device."

Any thoughts?

Before you post I have done the following.

1.) gone into audio settings and selected all audio formats my processor can handle.

2.) re-done #1 at least 4 times.

Customer service at Rotel says he was able to get it to work on his 1069...so im guessing its possible.

Want to know what customer service at PS3 said "sometimes and very often SACDs are not made proberly causing playback issues...its not the PS3" :roll: 8O :M
                                                                                  Check out the 1069 thread in the rotel section, SACD is mentioned a few times in there. IIRC the ps3 can do SACD playback. But Chris D may be onto something, can the 20 gig model do SACD?

Comment

• Pez
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2004
                                                                                    • 472

Forget what I just said, I forgot you have posted several times in the 1069 thread.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 16075

I'm almost posative one of the things they removed from the 20 gig version is the SACD playback.

Chris the reason I said the PS3 is no way close to crushing the 360 is because PS3 just hasn't had that huge game everyone has been waiting for come out. Not sure about hardware sales? But would think there are more 360's out there then PS3's and the 360 has had several huge hits come out. One of the reasons I have not sprung on getting the PS3 is because there isn't a game coming out that I really want anytime soon. There are some games that look fun sure but nothing that really grabs my attention to much. And I can't justify buying a game console solely for blu ray playback my self I have an HTPC setup with HD-DVD and you can now get a blu ray drive for under 200 bucks so I would go that route before buying a ps3 just for BD playback most likely. Not saying I'm not interested in the PS3 from a hardware standpoint its an awesome machine. I just haven't found a big reason to purchase one yet.

Comment

• Pez
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2004
                                                                                        • 472

I would think its hard to argue that the PS3 is doing better than the 360 based on pure sales data. The PS3 might be catching up but the 360 had approx one year of sales before the PS3 came out. In that regard its not really comparing apples to apples unless you look at a specific time frame when both systems were available. In terms of games the PS3 has some good stuff but nothing I would call a must have like Halo. GTA may have been one of those games for the PS3 but its also coming out for the 360.

In my mind what seperates the PS3 from the 360 is the extra features beyond playing games. Online play doesnt require a paid subscription, the wireless media center capabilites out of the box (a huge advantage I feel - no need to buy a wireless antenna like the 360), constant updates to add features (360 updates are far and few bwteen), much better next gen dvd player capaiblity (the 360 is very limited in its HD-DVD playback), cooler looking, extremely more quiet (I cant believe how loud the 360 is), 1080p upscaling DVD player, and no ridicously large power supply just to name a few. Should also mention the PS3 is far and away better in its abaility to play games from prior systems (although didnt they limit or remove it completely that on newer versions? - stupid if they did).

I had all three system until recently. Once I got the Wii the 360 no longer got any use and I sold it. Whats really interesting is that I mainly use the PS3 for blu-ray and media center capabilities, rarely do I play games.

So where I am going with all this - I forget.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 1792

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                                          I'm almost posative one of the things they removed from the 20 gig version is the SACD playback.

The 20 gig and 60 gig play SACD and the 40 gig does not.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 16075

Ok knew it was one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"