X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Yeah but your on HTG of course your going to use it for BD and so will just about everyone else on here who buys it. But that is a very small percentage of people that bought PS3's are on AVS, HTG or any of the other forums where all the comotion over bd and hd and what not happen.

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
      Really, the only reason I bought one was because of BluRay... was going to get a standalone player anyway and figured I could do some gaming along the way too...
      Me too...

The PS2 helped with the mainstreaming of the DVD (it was unchallenged in fairness). Sony expect the PS3 to to the same - but there is a challenger. Movies are still too expensive for the average joe to want to go out an buy, I reckon. So now that BDDVDs can be rented and when PS3 owners or parents of owners know that they can rent blurays, it helps mainstream. I don't know about the US market but Blockbuster's Irish subsidiary Xtravision are really pushing the whole Bluray thing on TV and national media. The rent games for all consoles but only bluray for movies. It's beginning to creep into the general public's mind and this will no doubt have an impact on how things shape up. Time will tell.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
        Yeah I'm not saying noone uses it for that. I just think that majority of the people that own a PS3 have no idea what blu ray is or at least they don't watch those movies on it.
        Most probably dont even have a 1080p capable display.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Hah thats another thing! Almost all the people I know with a PS3 or Xbox 360 are still using standard def tv's. Its crazy.

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Here's an interesting interview with a couple of senior Sony bods.

Vincent.

Comment

• Marzen
              • Jul 2005

I gotta say the new batch of downloadable game trailers from the E3 show look really amazing. I hope to see an Assassin's Creed trailer coming this month as well.
              -Ward
              What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Kinda off topic, but I remember hearing some news about Sony will lose money on the PS3. Just the other night, I was having dinner with one of my friends that is a Sony branch rep for Japan (He represents Sony of Japan, comes to the US to try to convince Sony of America to buy and sell this from Japan's inventory... and gets paid waaaay too much lol), and we were talking about the PS3 dropping to $500. He brought up that fact that it is true that it still cost $1000 to manufacture the PS3. So it looks bad at $500 under a piece. However, he said it's just ridiculous how much of a killing they're making on the games. Kind of interesting to me.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Interesting... the lower-end version of the PS3 has already been phased out, and it hasn't even been out for a year. Now they're also phasing out the 60GB version, so within a year, we no longer have any more of the original models! Now you're going to get an 80 GB model.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Hey, I just got Ninja Gaiden Sigma and i gotta say it's such good fun. Anyone else played this one yet?

BTW, anyone up for an online race or something sometime?
                    Vincent.

Comment

• Pez
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Alloroc
                      Hey, I just got Ninja Gaiden Sigma and i gotta say it's such good fun. Anyone else played this one yet?

The original Ninja Gaiden on the NES was one of my favorite all time games.

I would absolutely be up for some online gaming. Its one of the features of the PS3 that I have not even touched (I dont know anyone within my group of friends that has a PS3) and I am dying to play with someone online. Otherwise I feel I am wasting some of the PS3 capabilities.

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc

Yes, I've got Ninja Gaiden - fun game. I'm up to the first encounter with the Fiends (Ryu).
                        Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

PS/3 firmware update 1.9 due out now.....

Here's what it does...

Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
                          "Eject Disk" added to the Options menu
                          Pressing triangle in the XMB now ejects disks
                          XMB backgrounds added
                          Folder classification changed
                          Emoticons added
                          Option to change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz added
                          Forced 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI added
                          Option to change PS3 video settings in-game added
                          "Bit Mapping" added to the "Music Setting" options
                          AVCHD-type animations can now be saved from a Memory Stick
                          Upscaling settings can be changed while playing PSOne and PS2 games
                          Bookmarks added
                          Web browser security function added to the browser's tool section
                          Avatars now move during audio visual chat
                          Vincent.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Well you can count me in as a PS3 owner. I purchased the Sony Blu-Ray DVD S-300 player for father's day (present). Two weeks later Sony drops the price of the PS3 to $499.00, I immediately took back the S-300, also $499.00, and replaced it with the PS3, which included a 5 Blu-ray movie rebate and a free extra Sony wireless controller. This just made more sense at least to myself and my son, who can play all his PS2 games now in the Home Theater.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Welcome to the PS3 club Azeke! You made a great choice. It seems like there is no shortage of capability within the unit. Each firmware release makes it better and better and worth far more than its price tag would lead you to believe.
                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet........
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

Righteo. My PS3 name is VictorRomeo. Anyone wants to play, drop me a line and we'll set somthing up.

The HTGuide 500 on Ridge Racer or Formula 1 might be fun....
                                  Vincent.

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Thank you, gentlemen.

I guess I better check the system update for f/w 1.9.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Alloroc
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

Well guys, this is my first post on the forum via the PS3. I got the Logitech Dinovo Edge bluetooth keyboard earlier today. It's so sweet. The quality and style really matches in with the rest of my gear.The touchpad works well too. So, anyone else got a keyboard for theirs yet?
                                      Last edited by Alloroc; 30 July 2007, 04:35 Monday.
                                      Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Aha.... cool. I'm moving into my new house, and my PS3 is still in a box somewhere. When I finally get all my household goods delivered, it will be interesting to integrate it into my new setup. My new house has one central equipment room for the whole house with a robust Elan distribution and control system. You guys know what the range is on the PS3 controllers (and other stuff) via Bluetooth? I'll probably be carrying these around the house to control the PS3 from whatever room I'm watching it from.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

Bluetooth range is up to 32 feet. I've tested it and it's not quite that good when concrete walls are factored in. I reckon in my scenario, about 25ft. The controller is a bit better. Sony says it's up to about 60 ft. or so. I 've tested it at 40 and it worked. Would decrease battery life on the controller I reckon though. Really neat you got all that in the new house.

On another note, has anyone downloaded RubaDub from the PS Store? It's completely daft but it's one of the funniest and addictive games I've played in years. I reckon I'll buy the 'Super' version.

V.
                                          Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

When I get my PS3 back, I was planning on buying it, and "Calling all Cars" looked like a lot of fun, too.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Interesting news report--PS3 may get TV tuner capability and could be used as a DVR.

Sony Computer Entertainment New Zealand head of sales and marketing Warwick Light has divulged plans to release a digital tuner …
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Here's a way to get a 60 GB PS3 for only $349, plus 5 free BD movies:
                                                http://www.psu.com/Want-a-60GB-PS3-for-$349--a899-p0.php

80 GB PS3's are now on sale. Looks like they're no different at all from the other PS3's, with larger hard drives:
                                                The 80GB PlayStation 3 bundle is now available for purchase from all major online and general retail stores across North …
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2005

Yummy! Look what were getting!

Just as we reported before, Sony's just announced a personal video recorder (PVR) add-on system for the PlayStation 3 in European/PAL territories. Starting early 2008, the dual HDTV DVB-T tuner setup and the PVR will be available in the UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain, and you will have the ability to store shows…

BTW, firmware 1.92 has just been launched....
                                                  Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Sony just put out ANOTHER price drop for the PS3.

80GB model is now $499. 60GB has stopped production, so if you see one for sale, ($399 now?) it's just stock that's left.

Will be seeing a 40GB model soon for $399. One of the versions is white, which would be interesting.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

I think I'll probably pick one of the 499 ones up. Probably not the white though...I'm not to keen on all this white stuff.

Comment

• Pez
                                                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                          I think I'll probably pick one of the 499 ones up. Probably not the white though...I'm not to keen on all this white stuff.
                                                          I hear that, the black PS3 is very smooth. And I for one am glad that the deart of silver TV's and components that flooded stores in the last year or so didnt last long. Silver or white just looks dated to me.

Question about the wireless range of the PS3, how far can it be from the access point? I bought a house over the summer and in the new location it cant hold the signal. My laptop computer has no problem no matter where I am.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Hmmm... I don't think the PS3 has a wireless range any different than stated 802.11/b/g specs. You could search the PS3 website, though.

This has suddenly become a big time for the PS3. According to this announcement, http://www.psu.com/80GB-PS3-amazon-s...0001589-p0.php
                                                            the 80GB PS3 has jumped almost 500% in sales since the $100 price cut. Guitar Hero III comes out in a week, which is the first time that PS3 owners will have a guitar that works with the PS3, and first game software written specifically for the PS3.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Pez
                                                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                              Hmmm... I don't think the PS3 has a wireless range any different than stated 802.11/b/g specs. You could search the PS3 website, though.

This has suddenly become a big time for the PS3. According to this announcement, http://www.psu.com/80GB-PS3-amazon-s...0001589-p0.php
                                                              the 80GB PS3 has jumped almost 500% in sales since the $100 price cut. Guitar Hero III comes out in a week, which is the first time that PS3 owners will have a guitar that works with the PS3, and first game software written specifically for the PS3.
                                                              I wonder if being tucked away in a TV stand has any effect? Signal strength is is approx 30% according to the PS3. When I try to download an update it cant hold the connection long enough. Never had this problem until I moved.

Also, I wonder how the jump in sales will effect the format war. I never wanted to takes sides but lately have been more in favor of HD DVD (PQ just seems a tad bit better to me). But in the end it doesnt make much difference either way.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

Well, BD has seen a big jump the past week, with a BD sale. Transformers was supposed to give HD-DVD a huge jump, but it's actually dropped a bit. So... who knows if this will give an even bigger jump to BD soon or not. Look at:
                                                                eproductwars.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, eproductwars.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2005

Now this is cool. Topgear TV downloads via Gran Turismo....

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                                                                  Vincent.

Comment

• Pez
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2004

Just got a Nintendo Wii - man that thing is pure fun. It had no problem connecting to my wireless network even though the PS3 right next to it cant hold a connection. Accidentally I hit the PS button on the PS3 remote and figured while it was on might as well try to update the software again. Oddly enough it worked perfectly which is the first time since I moved into a new house 4 months ago. I think the PS3 knows it has some serious competition with the Wii and is now "on its best behaviour".

Sidebar:

Over the last few years as video games systems have become more sophisticated so has the gameplay. Gone are the days of picking up a game and just being able to play without having to study the manual to figure out how to play or memorizing long sequences of buttons to perform a move. Enter the Wii. It may not be able to compete on graphics but thats only part of it. The Wii is insanely fun and a refreshing change of pace. Because of it I am going to sell the Xbox 360 (but keep the PS3 - the BR player being its saviour).
                                                                    Last edited by Pez; 30 October 2007, 17:46 Tuesday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

Well, Guitar Hero III is out, and it looks like it's awesome! I'm hearing stuff about a lag in the wireless controller, though, for some people. Not good. I was hoping to pick it up this week, but maybe I'll hold off for a few days.

Also, I'm guessing that we'll see software version 2.0 update sometime this week. I think we're going to see a big update before the new Disney Pixar Blu-Rays get released the first week of November, to allow full interactivity functionality. Hope we get some major features in this update, like high bitrate audio streaming.
                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2005

Funny, whatever about disc sales, my perception is that the PS3 is really beginning to take off. In the past four weeks four of my buddies got one without telling one and other in advance. And a few guys in the office have done the same. BR, web access and games being the primary driver for each purchase and in that order too...
                                                                        Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Firmware 2.00 is out! Go download and enjoy!
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 2580

Anyone got any issues with 2.0 since installation? The performance of the interface has slowed right down at times when navigating the xmb - when this new 'rss feeds' feature' is active. It also completly hung for the very first time. That was even after disabling the rss feature. Anyone else?
                                                                            Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

What's "rss"?

I just unpacked my new PS3. (previous one got stolen... I replaced it with a new 80GB model) Updated it to 2.00 as soon as I set it up. Interesting that you mention the hang, because mine has hung once this weekend, as I was setting up my profile. It just completely froze up. Other than that, it's been working fine. I really like this "theme" thing--I enabled the "nature" theme, and it's really pretty in 1080p.

Kind of interesting--since I replaced the PS3, I logged into my profile again, and it has the history of all my downloads. So I'm able to re-download all the things I had bought in the Playstation Store. Too bad some of the free video samples and such I had previously downloaded are no longer available. But at least I get back everything that I paid for.

Now I gotta go try some more of the new stuff, like "Calling All Cars" and "Rub a Dub". Oh, and the new Motorstorm 3.0 update seems pretty cool, since I got that game free with my new PS3!
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2005
                                                                                • 2580

What's "rss"?
                                                                                It's that automated feeds service you see on some sites.... more here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

There are lots of folks complaining of similar issues with 2.00 on various PS3 forums. I reckon they'll have to get a fix our pronto if they don't want to create negativity for the Christmas spendign spree....
                                                                                Vincent.

Comment

• Sithlord
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2004
                                                                                  • 285

Great news guys:

Finally

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

Vincent, I'm still not completely understanding rss. When does the PS3 use it?
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 2901

Hey guys, I just wanted to say, "HI!"

I picked up a PS3 last weekend to watch "mainly" Blu-Ray movies with. So far so good.

I've already got linux running on it and might even try the Mac OS 9 for it. Not sure though.

So far I'm impressed with it, but I still like the games on the Xbox 360 better.

I definitely see in the future though the PS3 being "the" system in a few years.

Only thing I don't like about the system is the music player, I just don't like the layout of how the music is put on there... that and I can't figure out how to add all the music on the system to the playlist at one time (vs adding each song -- or grouping) one at a time. Also don't like how it takes forever to read all the music on my MP3 player, not sure if that's a bug or what with it.

At least I can switch over to linux and boot up and use it all "normally" as far as the music goes.

But just wanted to say I joined the world of PS3ism. :lol:
                                                                                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                                      -Dan

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Oct 2005
                                                                                        • 7032

That's cool, I haven't tried to load another OS on mine. Scared I guess
                                                                                        Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                                          • 2580

Vincent, I'm still not completely understanding rss. When does the PS3 use it?
                                                                                          Hi Chris,

In the new rejigged XMB, they've a new feature called the "Information Board". News on this service is accessed in two ways. Via the board itself and by the feed application on the top right of the screen. See link. This seems to be causing mayhem with lots of users - causing the system to slow right down when polling with the feeds server. It can be disabled by pressing green triagle button when on the mail Information Board icon. I hope this makes some sense!

Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                                            • 16877

Ah, yes, I did notice the new information board. I didn't have any problems accessing it and checking out its news information, though.

Pewter, welcome! :banana: But wait a minute... I thought the argument was that nobody buys the PS3 to be a BD player!
                                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"