X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Whoops, sorry about that... I keep forgetting which is the current model, between the 20GB or 40GB.

So to summarize, of all the Playstation models, I think only the current 40 GB model does NOT play SACD.

Original models:
    20 GB (plays SACD)
    60 GB (plays SACD)

Current models:
    40 GB (does NOT play SACD)
    80 GB (plays SACD)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Dougie, that's a good point, that we may be waiting to see that MASSIVELY POPULAR game that's proprietary to the PS3. There's Resistance: Fall of Man, and Motorstorm, both of which are really popular, but probably not on the level of Halo or such. All the other super popular games like GHIII and Rock Band are multi-platform.

The X360 is leading in sales in North America, the PS3 has something like a 7:1 lead in sales in Japan and Asia... eh.... I don't really see either console killing off the other one anytime soon, like you say.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well Sony is like the dictator of Japan so its not hard to believe they have a 7:1 sales lead over there

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Hmm, this thread's been busy recently! Great to see. There's lots of great debate going on here and to add my tuppence worth in, imo the PS3 is by far the most sophisitcated console out there. It's also the easiest and more pleasurable to use and overall quality of all it's functions are top drawer. Over the past six to nine months all my buddies have traded their 360s for PS3s and they do not regret it - that's over ten guys. For me though the dealbreaker with my 360 was the noise and online pay to play. Even my wife can set it all up ot watch a movie or browse the web, and that says something - she freaks out at her phone!

So, what will make the PS3 dominate? - software. Right now there is way more software available for the 360 and some of it is really good. Sony need to ensure they get games line Gran Turismo out and get it out good. There is so much riding on this game and from what I've read already it sounds superb.

BTW, I got Tiger Woods 08 as a pressie and am having good fun with it.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

I also made the switch from the 360 to PS3, I wrote my comparison thoughts in another thread a while back. Biggest reasons were free online play, built in wireless, and Blu-ray. I do agree though with Vincent that the titles for the 360 are better in general.
            Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

How does the PS3's online play compare to the 360's? I have a couple friends that have both ps3 and 360 and they say the 360's online play is a lot better and more implemented into games then with the PS3. I really don't care much eventually I want both consoles. Wireless networking isn't the biggest deal for me as my hub is near my TV and I would not consider it as a stand alone player as there are now cheaper options for blu ray playback.

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                How does the PS3's online play compare to the 360's? I have a couple friends that have both ps3 and 360 and they say the 360's online play is a lot better and more implemented into games then with the PS3. I really don't care much eventually I want both consoles. Wireless networking isn't the biggest deal for me as my hub is near my TV and I would not consider it as a stand alone player as there are now cheaper options for blu ray playback.
                I would expect the 360 to have better online play given that the xbox has had online play for a lot longer than the PS3. On the flip side the PS3 online play should get better over time as it gets more "mature". I wish I could take advantage of the PS3 online play but none of my friends have one for me to play with. In fact of all the people I know (friends/co-workers/family) no one but me has a PS3. I guess I could hook up with a random person online but not sure how to do that. I need to find some PS3 online buddies.

Comment

• blk100rr
                  • Dec 2007

good comments, I'm not really a gamer but if I could get a great BD or multi format player that happend to be a game console as well, then it would be an instant buy for me. Maybe I'll just sit this format war out for a while and see what comes down the pipe. maybe a ps4 universal player

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

The only game I played online with the XBox was Fight Night, not blown away with the experience. I've played a couple of games on the PS3 online, no issues. Not sure what would be a measuring stick for the experience.
                    Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

My main experience ; PGR online was great on the 360, i'll give them that. Ridge Racer on the PS3 is OK. Drawback was no in-game chat. That really added to the fun. Fifa soccer were both comparible and I've not yet played online with anything else yet. I'm trying to sharpen up my golf skills before dipping my wedge online with Tiger '08 .

Funny, I had no hesitation in getting the PS3 once it came out and settled down a bit. For the money it's a great spend. If anyone is waiting for a multiformat etc, well you'll be waiting a long time and missing out on some great fun, no matter what console you buy. Michael Bay of Transformers fame in an interview spelt it out - MS won't fully support any of the two formats properly as they are trying to muddle up the market and confuse consumers. Why?, Digital downloads. Well I think he's hit a nerve there and white the bandwith infrastructure is not there yet - in another couple of years it probably will be. I suppose it's inevitible some day.

But, €400 buys you a great console that plays bluray, upscales dvd really well, plays SACD if you have the input on your reciever, browses they web, plays streamed content from your media server (inc. DIVX now), has 80gb for local storage of whatever you want and it plays some really, really great games (and online for free!). I mean for that kind of money, what more can anyone reasonably want?!
                      Vincent.

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Have you played F1 Championship lately? We still need to get online one day for that.
                        Danish

Comment

• littlesaint
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Alloroc
                          .... I mean for that kind of money, what more can anyone reasonably want?!
                          Halo
                          Oblivion (8 months earlier)
                          Gears of War
                          BioShock
                          Mass Effect
                          Forza 2
                          Perfect Dark Zero

Where are the PS3 exclusives? Every time they announce what would be a killer exclusive, it shows up for the 360 as well. GTA IV, Devil May Cry IV, and Assassins Creed being the big ones.
                          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Assasins Creed is a huge one.... I don't think game MFG's want to do exclusives with ps3 because there are so many more 360's out there then ps3's.

Comment

• littlesaint
                              • Jul 2007

True, but if Sony can keep Metal Gear and Final Fantasy exclusives, they might generate sales with those.

I'm looking at Blu-ray players, and the PS3 is attractive, but I already have an HD-DVD player (XA2), and Xbox 360. With the BD players finally stabilizing a little hardware-wise and coming down a little in price, the advantage the PS3 held a few months ago has really come down to games, and I just don't see anything compelling right now.
                              Santino

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                Have you played F1 Championship lately? We still need to get online one day for that.
                                Yeah I know. I've not played it in a while so you'll probably burn me up!

Littlesaint : That's not my point. I get that software and playability is key for a games console. I'm not a massive gamer and for most of us out there a device that can do so much for so little and so competently, for me it's pretty much perfect. If MS launched the elite, had an integrated hd drive and did not sound like a quad processor server I'd have probably stayed put but the didn't. The 360 as good a games console as it is, is not an appropriate entertainmet centre like the PS3, for all kinds of reasons but the noise is the biggie. Ultimatly though it's whatever rocks your boat. I'm happy with my lot andfor those interested in dipping ones toes (like a few here already suggested) into a HD format, it's a great place to start.
                                Vincent.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

The 360 as good a games console as it is, is not an appropriate entertainmet centre like the PS3, for all kinds of reasons but the noise is the biggie.
                                  I have to agree with this, doing the very little bit of reasearch on the PS3 over the last few days it seems to be quite the workhorse.

Not only does it play a form of next gen discs, it plays my old ps2 games, SACDs and seems to be quite upgradeable.

I dont know how much of its relevent, but talk of the PS3 being a tivo type box, 7.1. etc etc in the future seems to be quite an amazing player...

On top of that.. it plays VIDEO GAMES! amazing huh? :lol:
                                  Free online game play also... win win win.
                                  B&W

Comment

• littlesaint
                                    • Jul 2007

I guess if someone didn't already have an HD player or SACD (and is interested in SACD), the PS3 would be a good choice. I'm looking at it strictly to add BD titles to my HD-DVD collection, and I already have an SACD player, so with standalone BD players improving in price and hardware, the difference maker would be games. Still a great piece of hardware though.
                                    Santino

Comment

• dyazdani
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Yeah I know. I've not played it in a while so you'll probably burn me up!
                                      Nope, I almost never play. I've probably only played the game for an hour or two total since I bought it.
                                      Danish

Comment

• pengilly
                                        • Jan 2008

I love the PS3 works great and gets used everyday.
                                        Bluray, gaming, DVD, cd, sacd ect ect ect.

Comment

• Pez
                                          • May 2004

How many of you use your PS3 as an updated version of a slide projector?

When someone comes over and I have some pics to show I fire up the PS3 tand my computer to wirelessly stream on my big screen tv. Sure beats crowding around a computer monitor and with a decent camera the pics can be dramatic.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pez
                                            How many of you use your PS3 as an updated version of a slide projector?

When someone comes over and I have some pics to show I fire up the PS3 tand my computer to wirelessly stream on my big screen tv. Sure beats crowding around a computer monitor and with a decent camera the pics can be dramatic.
                                            I do that too.... quite often, especially over chrismas when therer were lots over.

Danish... Race on! Let's set it up. Anyone else interested?
                                            Vincent.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

I'm good to go, I'll have to start practicing!
                                              Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Danish ; Haven't even switched it on all weekend! And I know you're busy too... hands full and all. We'll have to schedule, perhaps next weekend?

Anyhow, I moved my diNovo Edge keyboard upstairs and am no using it on my PC.... Why? Well I'm not using it that much on the PS3 and when I saw the new diNovo Mini, I reckoned it'll be perfect and ordered it straight away!

Here's the link...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848&cl=us,en?WT.ac=ps|4167|hp

Should work good on a HTPC too. A bit pricy but it looks great.
                                                Vincent.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

That things awesome! Have to keep it in mind for my HTPC maybe

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Oct 2005

Yeah, me either! :lol: I should have time soon though...
                                                    Danish

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

I wish I picked up the PS3 back in the end of Nov when there was a 10 free movie deal

I keep holding out week by week to find a better deal then the 5 free by mail.
                                                      What can I say, Im a sucker for good deals :lol:
                                                      B&W

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Oct 2005

Look on the bright side. I got mine early and paid $599 with no game or free movies :M
                                                        Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2005

Yeah Yeah, I paid €599 - in Euros.... And they never did a 10 movie deal. Us poor Euros always get the short shift!
                                                          Vincent.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Yeah Yeah, I paid €599 - in Euros.... And they never did a 10 movie deal. Us poor Euros always get the short shift!
                                                            But you get cooler cars!
                                                            B&W

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                              • Jul 2007

Can you play CDs and SACDs without turning on the display? When I add a BD player in May, the 80GB PS3 would allow me to sell my Oppo assuming the 80GB doesn't drop SACD. One thing I'd need is to be able to play music without having to power up my display. Does that work with the PS3 not having a front display of its own?
                                                              Santino

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

80 gig has SACD.
                                                                B&W

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                  80 gig has SACD.
                                                                  Yes I know that, though I wonder for how long. The question is, do you need to turn on your display to be able to play audio discs? Can you easily switch tracks, choose SACD format, etc. without having your display turned on?
                                                                  Santino

Comment

• riceaterslc
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2006

has anyone received their 5 free movies yet? i put mine in the mail nearly a month ago, just wondering what the average turn around time is...
                                                                    chris

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

It's longer then a month for sure My friend took him like 2-3 months.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

I just picked up the PS3 tonight. 80gig.

Came with moto storm, also picked up Madden 07 (clearance $15) and tony hawk pro skater (clearance $30)

A 60$ game will be hard to swallow.
                                                                        Also picked up an extra conroller and the new Resident evil!
                                                                        B&W

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                          • 2580

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                                                          Yes I know that, though I wonder for how long. The question is, do you need to turn on your display to be able to play audio discs? Can you easily switch tracks, choose SACD format, etc. without having your display turned on?

You know I've never realy tried, but thinking about it I really doubt it. You have to log into your profile and scroll across to the music icon and down to the disc icon to play a disc. Can't see how that'd work.

Great stuff, Christoper!
                                                                          Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

Hmmm... I'll try again, but what happens is that whenever I put in ANY disc, (audio, video, or game) the PS3 automatically boots it up and starts playing it, unless you're already engaged in another activity. (such as playing a game off the hard drive)

The only thing you should have to worry about is if a SACD or DVD-A has a selection menu on the disc before you can play the music. This will happen regardless of what player you put it in. (i.e. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms)
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 1537

Man, that PS3 sure runs warm, warmer than any of my other components.
                                                                              B&W

Comment

• Pez
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2004
                                                                                • 472

Is there something in the settings to make disc auto play when inserted into the PS3 cause mine surley doesnt regardless of what kind of disc?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 16075

Well now I have a Wii and a 360 so the PS3 is next...

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Oct 2005
                                                                                    • 7032

Originally posted by Pez
                                                                                    Is there something in the settings to make disc auto play when inserted into the PS3 cause mine surley doesnt regardless of what kind of disc?
                                                                                    Yes, there is a setting in the system setup menu. I don't recall the exact path to get there, but look through the menu and you will see it.
                                                                                    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Dec 2000
                                                                                      • 16877

Huh... I did try it today, I put in a multichannel SACD and sure enough, after waiting maybe 15 seconds, it started playing in multichannel SACD mode. I don't think there's anything you have to select to enable auto-play, but it could be hidden in all the option selections. Have you gone through each one, one by one?
                                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jun 2004
                                                                                        • 1036

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                                        Huh... I did try it today, I put in a multichannel SACD and sure enough, after waiting maybe 15 seconds, it started playing in multichannel SACD mode. I don't think there's anything you have to select to enable auto-play, but it could be hidden in all the option selections. Have you gone through each one, one by one?
                                                                                        How are you sending it? HDMI? It only has 2 channel analog out and Digital optical can't send SACD. I don't know of any preamp or receiver that can except SACD over Optical or any digital connection. You have to have HDMI 1.2 or better I believe to get this done.

Comment

• Pez
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2004
                                                                                          • 472

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                                                                          Yes, there is a setting in the system setup menu. I don't recall the exact path to get there, but look through the menu and you will see it.
                                                                                          Right after I posted that I put in Lego Star Wars and it started right up. The PS3 was already on when this happened.

Ealier in the day my wife put in an audio cd and it did not start right up.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                                            • 823

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                                                            How are you sending it? HDMI? It only has 2 channel analog out and Digital optical can't send SACD. I don't know of any preamp or receiver that can except SACD over Optical or any digital connection. You have to have HDMI 1.2 or better I believe to get this done.
                                                                                            HDMI >1.1 can send/accept MCh PCM, and >1.2 can send/accept DSD.
                                                                                            Santino

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"