X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Playstation 3 discussion thread

Well, I did it. I bought myself a PS3. I haven't owned a gaming system since the original Atari back in the early 80's, so I am WAY out of the gaming world.

I'd really like to talk to other PS3 owners to talk about games, maybe set up online gaming, etc. Since the PS3 plays old playstation games too, I'd also like to hear from legacy playstation owners too. What old playstation games are worth picking up to play?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Here's a post that I put elsewhere in the forum, reposted for discussion here.

I am a weak, weak man.

Here's an updated picture of my equipment rack. On top of the Salamander rack, I've got two new mini-units from Parasound on the left, stacked on top of each other, the Zhd and Zbreeze. On the right is a tower fan to move some air around and keep the equipment area cooler. See if you can figure out what's inbetween them.

Hmmm.... let's look a little closer. What is that thing?

So shiny! Could it be? A closeup, please?

Ah, yes! I called Best Buy yesterday and asked, and for once they actually responded, "why yes, actually, we do have them in today." I drove over and grabbed one while I could, a 60GB. Got some games, too, and a BD movie. I still wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to buy the PS3, but I knew that there wasn't going to be another opportunity for a while, and I could take my time after getting home to make the final decision. If I decided no, I could always sell it and be guaranteed no loss of $$$.

So, I hummed and hawed about it for a while, then decided to keep it. (big surprise) Hooked it up last night, pretty straightforward. Worked on HDMI right out of the box, to my 720p projector. Got it connected via digital audio (optical is only option) to my Parasound processor. the cable you see coming out the front is a USB extender cable that I've run to my seating area to charge the wireless controller and/or connect things like my MOMO steering wheel that is for PC, but all indications are that it should work on the PS3 now too.

First thing I decided to try, I pulled out the movie I bought, U2's Rattle and Hum on Blu-Ray. As expected, the movie/video, since it's shot in "artistic" grainy black and white, still had the same grainy look, but hey, now it's a sharper grainy look than ever! But some scenes were just eye-popping with clarity, like specifically of all things the copyright disclaimer page with vibrant color and crystal-clear lettering. But the audio... oh, the audio... the disc doesn't have any of the new HD sound formats like TrueHD. And if it did, I couldn't even use them, as no processor yet receives HDMI 1.3. For the first time, though, Rattle and Hum includes DTS, and DTS ES at that. This is my favorite DVD of all time, and I'm intimately familiar with ever scene, every bit of dialogue and music.

I scrolled straight to my favorite song on the disc, "Bad", and cranked the volume. Very clear audio, much lower background noise. When Adam Clayton hit the low note on the bass in the middle of the song, it was sharp and strong, much improved from the previous DVD. The rest of the song and the next few literally brought me to tears--it's such a beautiful string. And that's just DTS-ES discrete!

If nothing else, it was worth it just for that. Then I tried out "Resistance: Fall of Man" game, which looked AWESOME in 720p. Looks to be a fun game, too. I'm just getting started with the system, but it's definitely a winner. :T
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

cool! :dancenana:
      Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Hi,

Check this out!

Originally published: Nov 2006. Taken down by Sony for "copyright infringement" for a decade. Recently re-published. -----------------------------------A bra...

By the way Chris, you might be interested to know that I saw Adam Clayton driving around Dublin (Stillorgan Road, for those interested) on Saturday afternoon. He was driving beside me at one stage - in his shiny red Ferarri 360, looking ever so cool!

Cool pix, by the way!
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new toy Chris!
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

You know everytime they do one of those smash video's they are never all that funny.

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

It's hard to make it funny I guess. The guy's outfit was funny though...
              Danish

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Forgot where I read it, but it seem Sony has said they will add 1080p24sf support to a PS3 update in the near future. Only thing that was othering me about using it as a BD deck.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I'm reading all sorts of things around the net about the PS3 being pretty good as it is, but it's got a whole bunch of unlocked potential that will just continue to grow and grow as Sony releases updatesand game developers make better and better games to take advantage of the PS3's processing power.

Hopefully it's true. So far, though, I'm not a fan of the current update, 1.30
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Sooooo... who here actually owns a PS3?

Since I'm new to the gaming scene, which games for playstation and playstation 2 were fun to play, that would be worth picking up for playstation 3, just for the fun play factor?

One of the things I'm looking for is a benign, friendly game that many would find fun to play. I'd love to have my wife get to play a game with me, but obviously she's not going to go for Resistance or Need for Speed. She mentioned that she used to like Mario Brothers or Mario Kart, but obviously those are for Nintendo, so no luck there. What kind of those games are available for playstation?
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

(I know I'm like the only one in this discussion thread, but oh well...) I just discovered something UBER cool. I have a MOMO force feedback steering wheel that I bought for my PC probably 6 years ago, and it's sat in the closet for the last several years. Since it's a USB device, I plugged it into my PS3 and fired up Need For Speed Carbon. Not only does it work as a steering wheel, but I get full force feedback! The only thing I can't figure out is how to use the circle and triangle buttons on the wheel. The X and Square buttons work.

This is so freakin' cool, especially in my 7.1 theater, dual subwoofers, seating tactile transducers, 10 foot screen, etc.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Sweet! I think I may pickup a ps3 after I get my new TV mostly for Bluray, Unless somone releases a standalone player that doesn't cost 1000 bucks.

Comment

• cobbpa
                          • Apr 2005

My brother really likes the Kingdom Hearts game..there may actually be two. I've never played them, but from what I see it's a sort of fantasy / adventure game, with some puzzles & such along the way. It involves Disney characters, somehow or rather. I'll walk through and see Donald Duck or Ariel from the Little Mermaid at times. My brother is 23. I dunno, I've never played it, but he says the gameplay and puzzles are entertaining / addicting.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

That's outstanding Chris, I am sure you will have hours of entertainment with your new PS3. If I found one now, I would put it on e-bay for sure. I am sure that the PS3 will unlock most of it's potential in the upcoming year via games and firmware updates. Enjoy yourself and your new toys. Merry Christmas.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                            Last edited by Azeke; 10 December 2006, 01:06 Sunday.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Thanks, boys!
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Vinny
                                • Mar 2006

Depends on what kinds of games you like........ I can give you some suggestion on RPG or action games. I got the PS2 mainly because Square went in there for more final fantasy
                                Take a look at Square Enix and Capcom, maybe you would find something you like
                                Or go ahead for PS3's games if you like sports game, which I got none as I am not a big fan of it at all.

Note that PS3 is not fully compatible with the PS2 games, you will have to be really careful on that. Or even ask the manufactures directly.
                                Pioneer KRP-500M
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Parasound 5125
                                Oppo BDP-83
                                Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

I think the eBay market i sort of dropping out from under PS3's. Our Costco had 14 of the premium systems in stock yesterday. They were going as she watched, but not mob-like or anything. Talk in our (child filled) neighborhood is Wii's are a little harder to find than PS3s as of the last 5 days or so.

We passed. I will get one in March.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

Chris - you might contact logitech and ask them if there is any secret to getting full functionality out of the wheel. They'd probably be jazzed to have an existing product they could push as a PS3 accessory for minimal driver updating effort and look into it.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Yeah, sometime before I saw a link to a list with all the compatability issues for all prior playstation games. Not to say that they won't play, but just that Sony is working on firmware updates so that they all play correctly.

So far, I've bought three PS2 games, and all have played fine.

I'm going to try something with the MOMO wheel to see if I can get those other two buttons to map.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Well, I also dug out my old bluetooth headset that I used to use with my bluetooth phone. Paired it to my PS3, so now I have a wireless headset with microphone to use while gaming. Tried it out in a Resistance online game, which was cool.

So I'm finding all sorts of cool things that work with the PS3, that I already own and don't have to pay for, making the setup that much better. :T
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jun 2001

How is the non-online gameplay in Resistance?

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Really cool. I can see why people are saying that it's THE game to have for the PS3 so far. Great visuals, fun game, GREAT movie cuts inbetween levels. I just finished the game last night. The first time, I tried the difficulty on the "medium" level. I can't even imagine what the "hard" level would be like.

At the end, it showed a message that it unlocked extra weapons for me to get the next time around, which sounds fun, and there's now a counter saying that I have "1" successful completion. Part of the game is that you can find "intel packets" lying around, which give you information about the storyline. It's like finding little secrets. I found maybe 75% of them the first time through. There's an incentive, then, to play it again and try to find them all, but it doesn't seem like that would do too much if you do find them. Also, it gives you "points" for accomplishing certain tasks, although you don't know what the tasks are until you've accomplished them, (like blowing up 3 enemies at one time with a single grenade) and then give you little bonuses for the points. So far, I collected enough points to unlock the first two bonuses, which are just galleries of conceptual art drawings used in developing the game.

For kicks, I opened up the cooperative game, where you have two people going through the game together. Seems like it would be fun to do that, although I haven't had a friend over yet to try.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2001

Don't know if you were a PS2 guy, but Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank series (which should play fine on the PS3) are absolutely great. My plans to get Resistance and largely based on the quality of those.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Ah, cool... I just picked up a bunch of cheap used PS2 games from Gamestop to check out. Unfortunately, it looks like Sony is still working on some firmware updates for high-resolution output of legacy games, so even though they play fine, the video's a bit jaggy.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                  • Nov 2004

If you like role playing at all Final Fantasy XII is the best looking "old" PS2 game by far!

I can't wait to get a PS3 some time mid next year, until then I think the Xbox360 does a half decent job.
                                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                  -Dan

Comment

• Vinny
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                    If you like role playing at all Final Fantasy XII is the best looking "old" PS2 game by far!

I can't wait to get a PS3 some time mid next year, until then I think the Xbox360 does a half decent job.
                                                    For sure Final Fantasy XII's worth getting. The system is way better than the Final Fantasy X, more close to a Parasite Eve style if you have played it.
                                                    The story is a little bit weak compare to older final fantasy series; but well that's the trend for all the games now.
                                                    Pioneer KRP-500M
                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                    Parasound 5125
                                                    Oppo BDP-83
                                                    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Gump
                                                      • Sep 2005

Might be old school, but Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, and Medal of Honor were 3 of my favorite games with PS1 and 2.

Congrats on the PS3 Chris!

Comment

• Vinny
                                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Gump
                                                        Might be old school, but Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, and Medal of Honor were 3 of my favorite games with PS1 and 2.

Congrats on the PS3 Chris!
                                                        You can go for GT 4 on PS2
                                                        Metal gear solid's pretty good too, besides the second one.
                                                        Pioneer KRP-500M
                                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                                        Parasound 5125
                                                        Oppo BDP-83
                                                        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

Yeah, the new Metal Gear Solid coming out for the PS3 is supposed to be cool, too.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Pookie007
                                                            • Apr 2006

Have you tested the BluRay performance yet? I was thinking about picking up a PS3 when the supply catches up with the demand this spring/summer. For now, I am adding a HD DVD drive to my 360. The BR player is my only real reason for adding this console. In the reviews I read they said the player was as good as any standalone player. But most reviews I have read on the standalone players were not good enough to justify the $1000.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Yes, that's also the very reason that I ended up making the purchase in the end. I've played four BD movies so far--U2's Rattle and Hum, The Wild, Talledega Nights, (what a piece of absolute crap movie) and X-Men 3.

In general, BD quality is definitely a good step up. How much of a step depends upon the transfer of the particular movie. Some are great, some are only average. I've bought about 10 BD's so far, with various coupons for less than $10 each. Pretty good deal. Somebody's giving me "Ice Age 2" for Christmas, which is rated even higher than X-Men 3, so I can't wait. I wish I had a way to use the advanced high-def audio on the discs, too, but even at the DD EX and DTS ES on the discs, it's very, very good via optical.
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Marzen
                                                                • Jul 2005

Chris, how does it handle dvd single & dual layer copies, dvd-rw, cd-r, cd-rw & jpg picture disks? Also what do you think of it as an all-in-one media center including networking with other pc's & web browsing?
                                                                I'm looking for a 'family friendly' intuitive replacement for my htpc as if the above wasn't obvious...
                                                                -Ward
                                                                "...no no, Media Player won't play that one...try Nero, I think there's a plug-in for that, if not open Zoom Player and load the Storm AC3 codec..."
                                                                [long pause]
                                                                "honey, where ya goin'?"
                                                                What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• Marzen
                                                                  • Jul 2005

HDMI.org FAQ page

HDMI versions FAQ

Anyone have info on AV receivers that will support hdmi v1.3? I was hoping for a wallet friendly <$500 integrated av rcvr supporting v1.3 to pair up with the PS3.
                                                                  -Ward

Sharp begins making Blu-diodes
                                                                  Simplay Labs HDMI compatiblity
                                                                  What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2004

Just picked the PS3 this morning for a Christmas gift for myself.......ahhhemm, I mean the kids! Can't wait to get this thing going. I had heard of a great street racing game but can't remember the name right now, do you know Chris?
                                                                    ____________________
                                                                    Erik
                                                                    Just another case of the man trying to keep us down! :B

Comment

• Azeke
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2003

Ridge Racer 7 is rated pretty highly.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Vinny
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ekkoville
                                                                        Just picked the PS3 this morning for a Christmas gift for myself.......ahhhemm, I mean the kids! Can't wait to get this thing going. I had heard of a great street racing game but can't remember the name right now, do you know Chris?
                                                                        Street racing....... Need for speed?
                                                                        The new one Carbon's only ok....... comparatively
                                                                        For the game experience the most wanted is better

The new one kinda make for the new logitech wheel which has 6gears and clutch shifting system
                                                                        Pioneer KRP-500M
                                                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                        Parasound 5125
                                                                        Oppo BDP-83
                                                                        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Originally posted by ekkoville
                                                                          Hey, congrats! There are currently three driving games out for the PS3--Need for Speed Carbon, Ridge Racer 7, and Full Auto 2. I would guess that you're referring to Full Auto 2, which is where you drive around and shoot other people during the race. I don't have it yet, but it should arrive in a few days.

I do own both NFSC and RR7. I've only tried RR7 once, and it seemed pretty cheesy. Nothing but "power slides" at 150 mph. However, I've played NFS a decent amount, and enjoyed the driveability of it. So... so far I prefer NFS over RR.
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

Originally posted by Marzen
                                                                            HDMI versions FAQ

Anyone have info on AV receivers that will support hdmi v1.3? I was hoping for a wallet friendly <$500 integrated av rcvr supporting v1.3 to pair up with the PS3.
                                                                            -Ward

Sharp begins making Blu-diodes
                                                                            Simplay Labs HDMI compatiblity
                                                                            Hey, Marzen! Actually, I haven't tried DVD or CD on it. I haven't bothered, as my Denon 3910 DVD player does both of these very, very well. The only thing I've heard is that the PS3 is great for Blu-Ray, but does not play/upscale SD DVD well.

As for HDMI 1.3, we're still several months away from seeing this technology on the shelf. For what you're talking about, cost effective stuff that still functions well, we're probably a year away.
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Pez
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 472

#39
                                                                              I just got a PS3 myself the other day. Was even able to find some component cables - had to go to about 5 different places. Very happy so far but am having problems setting up the unit for online play. It makes a connection to my wireless network but then drops it.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                Awesome, Pez! I haven't had a problem with my wireless connection. What you'll want to do is get a good connection and then download the latest firmware update, 1.32, which is designed to improve wireless functionality. If for some reason you can't get a reliabe connection with the PS3, you can also download it from the www.playstation.com site to CD, and then put it in the PS3.

Sony just released Gran Tourismo HD a few hours ago as a free download, so I'm downloading it right now from the Playstation Store. Can't wait to check it out, it's supposed to be good.
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2001
                                                                                  • 2193

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                                  The only thing I've heard is that the PS3 is great for Blu-Ray, but does not play/upscale SD DVD well.
                                                                                  Do you have a source or two where you read this? Since I may be using one for that next year, I'd like to read up on it.

BB
                                                                                  Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 23:20 Tuesday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

#42
                                                                                    Hmmm... no, can't remember where it was. It was a very comprehensive review on the PS3 that I read right when it was released. The thing is, the PS3 has ALL SORTS of capabilities that just haven't been unlocked or fully utilized yet. Most will come with software upgrades. So as for SD DVD, I would not be surprised if future updates improved this.

I still haven't tried out SD DVD on it.

After several HOURS downloading GT HD last night, (I guess everybody was downloading it at the same time) I played it. Only took me an hour or so to unlock all the cars. Now I have to see what exactly else you can unlock or do with it, besides run the track in reverse. Yes, I only see ONE track right now with this demo game. Hopefully they'll expand this game. The PQ is beyond phenomenal.
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 10935

#43
                                                                                      The Ps3 is alright.
                                                                                      Athough, I prefer PG3 on the 360 vs
                                                                                      the Ridge Racer game.

The Blue ray DVD's are Sweet!
                                                                                      ICe Age is incredible.

Going to fire up the Wii tonight and start playing
                                                                                      Zelda with the girls. :T
                                                                                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

#44
                                                                                        Yeah, I just Ice Age 2 for Christmas today on Blu-Ray. PQ and SQ is phenomenal!

Trev, you truly still are the king. All three next-gen game systems? ;x(

If I had to pick which system to pick next, it would be a tough choice. Either the X360 so I could also do HD-DVD, or Wii just for the fun factor and do Mario.
                                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Apr 2001
                                                                                          • 27461

#45
                                                                                          PGR was great on Xbox, a lot of fun, and PGR for 360 is excellent as Trevor says, frankly, xbox 360 is worth getting for that 1 game alone, which of course is not cross platform. I quitely got both systems because I have games from prior generation for both. What got me back into this was basically my daughter taking off with my Xbox to a friends and with the intro of the PS/3, I was thinking about gaming and was going to turn on my Xbox, I got ticked off and went out and got a 360 for me for Christmas, thinking a PS3 would be difficult to get anyway, well turns out I was able to get one, but I decided to keep one system for my bedroom and one for my great room. Currently, it's Xbox in great room, and PS3 in bedroom. The PS/3 will be a little easier to move around, because it doesn't have the big power supply station, so probably the PS/3 will reside in the bedroom, but come out to play in the great room occasionally, I know I am looking forward to Blazing Angels on the projector, should be wild with the 360 degree perspectives on flying. I completed the training mission tonight. Was a little challenging to start out with to learn, but a lot of fun once you work your way through training. Had a little dogfight at end of mission, and I was pretty ready for it.
                                                                                          Doug
                                                                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"