X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Verizon FIOS internet services

I have just switched from Cox Cable Internet Service (15/2) to Verizon FIOS (30/5) for the same price. It's a beautiful thing, with consistent connections speeds no matter the time of day, downloads are quick, (depending on the server of course). Now, all I need to do is check out Xbox live and see how it performs. If you are contemplating switching, you will not regret it. The Verizon install tech was very courteous and even wore shoe covers. They will however cut your copper phone connections in favor of fiber, unless you request otherwise. The only issue I had you must ensure that they have terminated a line to your house, before the installation technician comes for the installation. Installation is free, which includes the Actiontec wireless modem.

I called Cox to terminate my internet service, and of course they asked why and is there anything they could do to keep me as a customer. I explained that I now have fiber with 30/5 for the same price as their 15/2. He then said I will just terminate your service, and so they did.

Anyone want to buy a Motorola Cable modem and Linksys Wireless Modem 54G with extra strength antenna ?

Just thought I would share. Any questions, comments or suggestions are welcome.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

I've heard Verizon is beating every single cable company recently(at least optimum and road runner in NY area). I've a question though, does it require using its phone service to get the price or have to do something like basic phone line with the internet service?
    I will be moving next year and use cell phone as home phone instead(that means no phone line). If it requires home phone with verizon will boost up the cost to be $25 more than other competitors.
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Vinny,

I am uncertain whether a Verizon phone line is required, you can check here:

Verizon FIOS

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Wow, the 30/5 is $180/month, that's insane!
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
          Wow, the 30/5 is $180/month, that's insane!
          No PewterTA, I believe that's if you don't have a Verizon phone line, my monthly payment is $54.95/month with a one year contract for 30/5 :T . First 30 days are free. I am embracing the brave new world of future technologies and enjoying it. Next up, phone services, VoIP.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Vinny
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Azeke
            No PewterTA, I believe that's if you don't have a Verizon phone line, my monthly payment is $54.95/month with a one year contract for 30/5 :T . First 30 days are free. I am embracing the brave new world of future technologies and enjoying it. Next up, phone services, VoIP.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
            here's the list for the price

It seems you have something other than 30/5 :E
            Verizon's gone crazy with the price recently.... the wireless internet plan they offer were like $80/month as well
            Pioneer KRP-500M
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Parasound 5125
            Oppo BDP-83
            Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

No Vinny I am certain of both my contract and my Internet speed, verified consistenly with speakeasy.net. I believe these speeds are the new pricing for both the DC and NY metro areas. This included free installation as well as a free Actiontec wireless router with MoCA, which is capable of speeds up to 100Mbs.

I would contact Verizon FiOS Department since pricing and availability varies per area.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Contacted Verizon, they said that my price is $180/month for 30/5.
                -Dan

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  Contacted Verizon, they said that my price is $180/month for 30/5.
                  That's a bummer. You must not have Verizon phone service. I believe that is a factor in the cost equation as well.

Did they provide other pricing options that were less expensive?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Yep all my phones are verizon (home and cellular)... The prices are the ones listed on the website, which is no faster than my current Adelphia Cable connection, actually a little bit slower... :M
                    -Dan

Comment

• Arneson
                      • Jan 2006

Very nice to be optic into house.
                      I'm way away from any fiber here and I'm jealose.
                      My Sprint ADSL is adequate but not blazing by any stretch.

I just this weekend had all the phones in house blown out by bolt from the blue.
                      Knocked two lines right out of the box, tripped a couple of breakers but left most other equipement alone. Now I hear thunder rummbeling and run around pulling plugs.
                      Jim

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"