X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArticHare
    • Oct 2007

Hooking up router to ips's modem/router

Hi there,

Im trying to share my internet enhanced highspeed adsl account with some friends upstairs. I have a 2Wire Gateway modem/router and im trying to hook up a wrt54g v.2 dlink router to it. The 2Wire Gateway is working fine and all the comps hooked up to it are fine and running good.

My first problem is that on the computer that is going to be the link to the dlink router I can access the router to update the latest firmware(done) but I cannot log into the router using my browser. Its not a case of password problems but that the browser cannot find the router using 192.168.1.1 I can ping it though and that is successful but just cannot log into it yet. I was not able too before I loaded the firmware either. Any suggestions for this please?

Im sure the second problem will occur when i try to use the router to hook into the modem/router which is the main connection to the internet.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

You may have to go into the setting of the other router and change the default gateway (pretty sure thats what it is) if both are set to 192.168.1.1 then they may be conflicting. A lot of routers usually do this automatically though seeing as so many modems and what not use that for their default gateway.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Is the "Gateway" device what came with your ISP service? What I've done in the past is to turn off the routing capability if it's an all-in-one modem/router and just use the WRT54G for routing.

If you need to use both, there is a trick. You'll have to hook up each router individually to establish the settings. (There may be way to hook both up at first, but not from my limited knowledge). I have one set to 192.168.1.1 and the other 192.168.1.2 - on one router, the gateway has to be the IP of the first router like Dougie said. Then you have to connect the two routers - an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the primary router to a LAN port on the secondary. The WAN port on the secondary is not used.
      Danish

Comment

• ArticHare
        • Oct 2007

Thank you dougie and dyazdani for your quick reply's. Here is my setup again and I thank you for the language I am about to use cuz I think it will help explain the situation better.

My primary device is the 2Wire Gateway all-in-one modem/router. It is working fine with all of the devices hooked up to it.

The secondary device is the WRT54G and I cannot even get into the homepage to configure the device for the alternate gateway address. On network settings I have it set at the moment to "Obtain IP address automatically" and no gateway address at all as per the installation instructions. I have unhooked it from the WAN and rebooted the modem and computer but i still cannot access it. I am able to ping it though which I just did and all the packets came back fine. I do not have the original software for it but I was able to update the firmware yesterday. Linksys no longer supplies the driver for the device and it does not show up in the Win98 system hardware but there is a unknown device on the system. Could this be the cause?

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Did you try doing 192.168.1.2? Or actually check the Linksys manual because I think they use 192.168.1.11 or something by default now. or .15 or something.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

You need to hook the computer directly to a LAN port on the WRT54g router, in other words, do not go through the 2Wire device. Also, I thought you said DLink at first, but now Linksys? One company uses by default 192.168.0.x and the other 192.168.1.x for IP ranges.

After your PC acquires an IP address, you can go to your LAN properties and check the gateway to see whether it's 192.168.1.1 or something else. The other issue you will have is that you don't want to have DHCP running on both routers in the end.
            Danish

Comment

• ArticHare
              • Oct 2007

Sry my bad dyazdani. The secondary device is a linksys WRT54G router. It is not hooked up now to the primary router at the moment but I cannot yet log into it. I will try in network connections set the IP gateway settings to the ranges discribed. I will get back to you again.

When i do get the linksys up and running should I give all the computers and the secondary router(linksys) a static IP address so they do not conflict with Primary 2Wire Gateway router?

Richard

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

You don't need to give static IPs necessarily. The primary router (or the one running DHCP anyway) should provide them if set up properly.

Like I said, if you hook only one PC up to a LAN port on the Linksys (reset the router first with the little button on the back), it will assign the PC an IP through DHCP. Then you can check to see the "default gateway" IP, that will be the router. It should be 192.168.1.1 (I think for Linksys models) - whatever it is, type that into the internet browser. Also, you need to make sure the username and password is correct. I have run into several variations of factory settings on this. Sometimes it's "admin" and no password, sometimes "admin" for both username and password.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
                Danish

Comment

• ArticHare
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I assigned the router(secondary) 192.168.1.2 as you suggested dougie once I logged onto the linksys. I figured out I was using www.192.xxx instead of just the right way, numbers only. Now I cannot log onto the router as you guys suggested might happen. I have taken a screen shot of the current router configeration and am including it. This is the secondary router which has a link to the primary router via one of the 4 hardwire ports in the back not the internet port. Which leaves me 3 hardwire ports for the other computers. I hope the screen shot helps.

Richard
                  Attached Files

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

You probably don't want the "internet connection type" to be DHCP. You should have a static IP option to which you can set up the primary router as the gateway.
                    Danish

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

This is all you should need to know...

Granted this is a linksys on linksys setup, but the basics are all you need to emulate on the 2wire.

Biggest thing to remember is to set the Linksys from Gateway to Router.

-Dan
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"