Where is the best place to buy a front screen projector.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheAberdeenKid
    • Jul 2004

Where is the best place to buy a front screen projector.

Where is the best place to buy a front screen projector. In regards to price.
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Welcome to HT Guide.

First you need to do a bit of research to determine the best projector for your home theater needs, within the price that you want to pay.
    A good comparative guide is http://www.projectorcentral.com to look at the different models in each price range, and general FAQ questions about the different terms and technologies.

Then once you have narrowed is down to a few models or have specific questions, it's good to talk in a HT forum like this and ask about particular models and features, and comparative pricing. :T
    -Dean.

Comment

• TheAberdeenKid
      • Jul 2004

ok. I guess I could of been more specific with my request. I was looking at the Infocus 4805 projector. My only concern is that it didn't seem to have good brightness, about 750. Can anyone comment on my choice and address my first question. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

750 would be fine in a light controlled room, but you probably should go for something brighter if lighting is a problem. As for where to buy, well your profile doesn't say where you live. If you can buy local at a good price, it is a good thing in case you need service. If you don't mind taking a chance on the internet there are all kinds of places to buy. Just be sure they are authorized sellers of whatever make you buy or the mfgs may not honor warranty. If you do go with the 4805,Infocus is kind of choosy in who they select as dealers so I'd check with them before buying anywhere to be certain that the place you plan to buy from is an Infocus dealer.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Are you in Canada or the US? If in Canada try www.avdeals.ca There's an www.avdeals.com for the US as well but I'm not sure if they're as competitive in pricing as their canadian counterpart is.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Whether the US AVDeals is competitive on price or not is a moot point regarding the Infocus 4805 -- it doesn't look like they carry it. AV Deals Infocus page. Like many other dealers, they handle the "business" models, but apparently not the "home theater" models.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Burke that's a "moo" point...don't you watch friends? :W

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

Just curious!

Why the 4805......and not the X1

Luminosity you say not enough?

Try a High Powered Da Lite screen with 2.8 gain....with your projector on a coffee table..

We`ll talk then!

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Doesn't the 4805 have higher resolution then the X1?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                    Doesn't the 4805 have higher resolution then the X1?
                    Yes and no. The Infocus X1 was designed as a 4:3 projector while the Infocus 4805 was optimized for widescreen. Native resolution of the Infocus 4805 is 854x480 pixels, while the X1's native resolution is 800x600.

In 16:9 mode, the X1's panels are masked to deliver 800x450 pixels vs the 4895's 854x480, while in 4:3 mode, the 4805 delivers 640x480 vs the X1's 800x600. Some X1 owners have complained about "light spill" from their projectors in 16:9 mode since the output from a subtantial portion of the panel (all of which is still receiviing light) must be masked to operate in that mode.

Between the two Infocus budget units, if your primary interest is business presentations or 4:3 format home theater video, then the X1 would be the ticket. However, if you are more interested in widecreen (16:9 or wider) video, then it seems the 4805 would fill the bill very nicely.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Burke is correct. Fact is, I already answered this question about the 4805 in another thread by this same member where he asked the difference between the 4800 and the 4805.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• TheAberdeenKid
                        • Jul 2004

Thanks for the response.
                        The room set up is such. Light control is moderate. The projector will be sitting on a built in shelf about 15 feet away (sitting about 6 feet or so off the floor). All my DVD's are in widescreen format, though I have DirecTV which is 4:3. But I would prefer the widescreen format. I'm up in the air, BenQ had a model that seemed to have the features I wanted along with brightness.
                        I'm sorry if these are repetitive or pedestrian questions. I am really excited about this purchase and want to make the proper decision the first time. I can read all the articles I want but it's the practical hands on experience that the members of this board posses I feel will be the most valuable.

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

Is there not a colorwheel difference between the two as well?

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Yup.

~Jon
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"