Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It's OK,,I found the info I needed!

Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Ideally, place the projector as close to the center of the throw range of the lens. So, if the calculator gives you a 10.7-13.9 throw distance, shoot for the center of the two distances, which would be 12.1 feet. That way you aren't pushing the zoom lens to either extreme, and you have some wiggle room in terms of placement, in case you have to move the projector a few inches forward or back to accomodate ceiling joists, cable inputs, etc.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thnaks Kevin!
        That is exactly what I did.
        I moved it up one beam on the ceiling forward.
        That put's it at approx 12 feet. :yesnod:

BTW,,That calculating program is excellent!:T
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

How do you like the HD 2 Trevor ?
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hi George! :later:

It's OK for now..
            I would upgrade it soon though, once my Theater room
            is finished at the construction level.
            My only complaint with LCD is the screen door is very evident
            to me.
            I might move the projector forward another foot + 1/2 which may help
            to minimize this.

I may have no choice though , to stick with LCD.
            We bought a DLP Toshiba a couple of weeks ago and the
            Rainbow effect is evident to me. Probably worse than screen door.
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Moving the PJ won't make any difference with screen door. However, if you defocus the lens just slightly, enough to blur the individual pixels so they just touch, you can minimize the SDE without affecting the overall sharpness of the image.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Trevor

As you probably know, I use two projectors in my theater: an NEC HT1000 dlp and a Yamaha LPX510 lcd. I sit 13 feet from a 92" wide screen and don't see pixels on either projector. In fact I have to move to within 7 or 8 feet before I even begin to see them. So maybe you're sitting too close. As Kevin pointed out, some people with lcd projectors defocus slightly to get rid of the screendoor effect.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I did the de-focus process and that does make a difference.
                  My seating is 12 feet from the screen.
                  Down the road I will invest in a new PJ , something of
                  good quality.
                  My HD2 is a good starter PJ and will likely end up
                  as a portable outdoor unit.!
                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• draganm
                    • Jul 2005

Trevor have you ever considered CRT? You can sit as close as you want and there is no screen door, rainbows, or any other picture anomolies unless they are coming from the source (DVD player).

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

I have the Studio experience HD50 and I love it. I'm viewing from 10' with a projected 120" image and there's no visible screen door, but it's a DLP model. I last had an Infocus SP5000 (with the same 720p resolution) and from the same viewing distance there was a little visible screen door and I defocused it slightly. But I'm a bit close to the screen at this projected size, and I don't think that it would have been an issue at all at a smaller screen size or viewed from a little farther away.

Personally, I'd much rather have a slightly defocused 720P LCD projector than a used CRT unit. Especially with less than $2000 to spend on either.

Comment

• draganm
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                        Personally, I'd much rather have a slightly defocused 720P LCD projector than a used CRT unit. Especially with less than $2000 to spend on either.
                        Well considering that the picture thrown by DLP's in $2K range is truly atrocious, I can only assume you'd "rather" have the DLP for other reasons, like easy install or warranty? People have been picking up Sony G70's recently used with very nice tubes in the $2K range, and I have compared these to DLP's up to $10K retail. There is no comparison for film based material, unless your shooting a computer desktop only a blind person would pick the DLP for watching movies.
                        :P

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I am not sure of CRT,,
                          But I am willing to have a look at everything available at the time I
                          do upgrade. More options is always a good thing. :yesnod:
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• draganm
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Trevor Schell
                            I am not sure of CRT,,But I am willing to have a look at everything available at the time I do upgrade. More options is always a good thing. :yesnod:
                            well that's normal, at $20K to $40K new most people didn't buy one for their home. The Electrohmes I love so much were built mainly for the military and Nasa, flight sims where an accurate/life like presentation and fade to total black is of the utmost importance. I do demo's for people all the time, but your up there in the wilderness with nothing but grizzly bears, so it might be hard to find a local demo opportunity. might want to ask on the AVS forum/CRT room, might be someone local? I think if you see a well set-up 8 or 9 incher you won't be going back to gray? then again, some people freak out at the size and complexity, it's a personal choice.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

As much as I loved my old Zenith crt FP, digital projection has come a long way. My NEC HT1000 has blacks and contrast very close to crt, and my Yamaha lcd, though not as contrasty as the NEC, is still up there. My crt was quite large, had to be floor mounted for various reasons ( mostly because of low ceiling) and just took up too much floorspace. And doing the analog convergence touch up every 8 or 9 months use to give me a crick in the neck. :P
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                As much as I loved my old Zenith crt FP, digital projection has come a long way.
                                LOL, and the Zentihs are considered small by CRT standards. The zeniths 800's and 900s were pretty basic and entry level machines with electrostatic focus, not very sharp or bright. The one Zentih I would love to have is the pro 1200, re-badged Barco Cine 8 . It will do 960P (line quadrupled DVD) and they can still be had for about $4500. used if you can find one. George I can't blame you for jumpig ship, but I wish you could have seen what the upper end machines can do.
                                The Zenith PRO 1200x is a late model (2001+) rebadged Barco Cine 8 Onyx (special edition). :
                                Liquid coupled HD-215 lenses for greater contrast and less halo'ing.
                                Tinted (colour filtered) C-elements on Red and Green for accurate colours.
                                Continuous Scheimpflug adjustment for perfect focus corner to corner.
                                Contrast Modulation for even colour/brightness across the screen.
                                Late model 120Mhz RGB output amps.
                                Black case.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Drag, that Zenith you mentioned was a consideration at one point. I also had an opportunity to get a Sony VPH something or other. My son was a Sony tech at the time and gave me a pretty good demo, but in the end I just wanted to go for a change in technology. But hell, there is no doubt about how good a crt FP is. In fact with the old Zenith I used to use the squeeze trick to watch anamorphic dvds so I could take advantage of higher resolution and the picture was a knockout. :T
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• nikos
                                    • Dec 2005

Somewhat on topic...

I have a PT-AE900U I have 13ft to work with from wall to wall....
                                    the 12.1 sounds the best spot for me. But from where do you measure to be exact? from the very edge of the lens?

Thanks,

Nikos
                                    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • May 2003

Yes, you measure from the front of the lens to the screen. But an inch or two doesn't matter. That's why you pick the center of the adjustable range (if possible) so that you have room to zoom and focus and get the picture spot-on.

Comment

• ktaillon
                                        • Jun 2004

Is it better to have the projector closer to the screen using less zoom? Or does the zoom lense take care of this without changing the quality of the picture?

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • May 2003

Picture quality should remain pretty much the same throughout the adjustable zoom range.
                                          The only real effect is that when you are at the far end of the zoom range you are spreading the image over a larger area which diminishes theoverall brightness and can wash out the picture if you don't have room light control.

And of course blowing a crappy picture up really big reveals all of the image flaws much more than on a tiny tube TV.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"