X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

My new Toy--Sony AW15 720p LCD projector

I took the plunge this week and ordered a Sony AW15 (after much research and a bit of agonizing). This is my first HT projector (I've monkeyed around with a couple of office projectors from my wife's office, as well as the one at the college where I teach, but none of them are aimed at HT).

I took advantage of the strong Canadian dollar (or weak American dollar--your pick) and got it at a considerable savings over the best price I could find in Canada (1200$CDN including shipping vs 1560$CDN plus shipping and 6% GST), so about 400$CDN in savings.

I got home late last night with it, so I did not do very much (about an hour of viewing total).

My very initial impressions (I'll be back with more after a weekend of tweaking and movie watching--right now I have it set up with the recommended settings I found from Thomas J. Norton's review on HomeTheaterMag's website). Everything is being sent to the projector via component cable from my receiver (sources used are a Cambridge 540D and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 DVR).

Pros:

Colours are very nice (to my admittedly non-videophile eyes)--much nicer than the other projectors that have been in my house.

Has a better de-interlacer than my DVD player (no surprise there as the 540D got good marks in interlaced mode from Secrets, as I recall, but only fair marks for prog scan).

Very quiet (to me) in low lamp mode. I've read that it isn't especially quiet compared others in its price class but compared to the office projectors I've had in the house, this thing is silent. In high lamp mode the fan can be heard (it is mounted on a stand about a foot behind my head, so in more traditional placements I expect it would be unnoticeable).

Menu is easy to understand and use (though I've not engaged any really advanced features, so this is a provisional "pro").

SD TV material--some looks fantastic (surprisingly so, as it doesn't look especially good on my SD CRT TV) and some looks mediocre (also surprising as it looks a lot better on my CRT TV than the one that looked fantastic on the projector--go figure). The great looking image is a show I recorded to DVR from Space (the Canadian sci-fi cable network). I recorded an episode of Enterprise as it is said to be among the better looking (if not necessarily always better written) sci-fi shows in recent years. On my CRT, dark scenes (from just about any show on that channel) look murky and blocky/blotchy. On the projector, no such artefacts. It looked a bit soft, overall (it's not HD, of course) but very nice. The mediocre image is an episode of the new Dr. Who on CBC (which usually looks very nice on my CRT--I may check another episode, just to be sure there wasn't some sort of broadcast problem that night, but I doubt there was). Each show is broadcast in 16:9, even in SD and while I could use the zoom feature of the projector (a pic setting, not the manual zoom of the lens itself) to fill the screen with Enterprise with a very nice picture, the same feature made Dr. Who look rather poor. In 4:3 mode, it looked reasonably ok.

Cons:

Only one so far--lens shift. It works, but not nearly to the extent I expected. I made my choice, in part, because I believed the lens shift feature would allow me to place the projector in a specific place in my room. However, upon reviewing the manual and making some more measurements, I've concluded two things--One, my calculations prior to having the projector in my house must have been based on a lack of understanding the range of the shift as described in the manual (and the Sony manual is a model of clarity compared to the BenQ when explaining the lens shift range). Clearly, though, I severely overestimated the lens shifting (I suspect there is also an offset at work that I did not know about which affected the calculations). Two, from looking at manuals for projectors which fit the budget I set for myself, NO projector has sufficient lens shift to do what I wanted, so the BenQ (or any other) would not have made a difference on that score. This is a disappointment but, in the end, a minor one as the PQ is great even on the less than optimal screen I'm using at the moment. I consider this lens shift "con" a lesson for future purchasing.

More when I've had time to really set it up to my liking.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Welcome to the FP club.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

In the immortal words of Elvis:

Thank you, thank you verra much.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I've been eying this projector for quite some time. Is the Iris very noticable when running it? Do you use the iris?

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

So far I have not noticed it (except when toggling through Dynamic, Standard and Cinema as Dynamic leaves the iris fixed, so when Cinema is engaged, you hear a slight click if you are within 10 inches of the projector--nothing at all when watching anything, though).

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Quick update:

A "green tint" issue arose in the lower left corner, but with a thorough session with DVE and a switch from Auto 2 to Auto 1 on the iris setting, along with a new screen, the problem is gone. Proof? When I watch films now (the LOTR EE trilogy looks fantastic, BTW) I don't even touch the PJ remote other than to turn it on and off. In the first 48 hours I must have called up the menu about 276 times. Even the "green tint" issue is something I likely would never have noticed if I'd been using a proper surface material in the first place AND I didn't hang out at so many A/V fora learning about all the ways EVERY display lacks perfection.

Anyway, I'm very happy (though it is still early days yet, a week to be exact) and unless some major problem arises, this PJ is a keeper for me. At the price, I don't think I could have done notably better.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Ovation,

I'm late to the party but, just wanted to also say welcome to the FPTV gang! Congrats on the new projector.
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Thanks. Got a movie marathon planned for this week (just got back from a 10 day camping trip). First up (tomorrow)--300. After that, the Bourne films in preparation for seeing the third one.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

280 hour update:

Everything looks great (HD cable, SD DVD with the pj doing all the deinterlacing/upscaling) so far. I am exceedingly happy with it and only hope it will be reliable in the medium term (at about 1100$, I don't expect it to last 10 years, but if I can get 3 good years out of it, I'll be very happy). I have little motivation to go out to the cinema anymore (and I used to, as a single guy, average about 6 movies a week at the cinema). In fact, I only do so when someone else asks me to join them AND I feel the movie proposed is worth it.

Once I add hi-def media (HD DVD/Blu-Ray), I think I will have reached a very satisfied level (akin to my audio side with my universal hi-res audio player that I've enjoyed for three years now).

While there are many fine options out there, at around the 1000-1200$ mark (retail), I think my projector is at least equal to the others available.

Well, I'm off to watch the season finale of Lost (Season 2) on SD DVD (it looks just about as good as HD cable with my gear--the transfer for Lost is first rate). :T

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Glad to hear it's still doing the job!

When I purchased my Optoma HD70, I was worried that I wouldn't be real happy with it. At around $1K for it and a 92" screen, I had concerns about it satisfying my needs. 9 mos with it, and I'm still grinning from ear to ear! :B

It is really amazing what you can get for the money in front projection now. Now I better start saving for a new bulb, as I'm over 1500 hrs now. 8)

I wish you continued success with the Sony.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Thank you. I was even more grateful this morning when I saw an ad for a 65 inch plasma (okay, it was 1080p, but still) for 9999$ (on sale no less). My projector may not give me as nice picture, but at one tenth the price, I'm getting at least 80%, if not more, of the quality--a more than fair trade.

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

And I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Like everything else in life, how much are you willing to spend, for that little bit more? If I had more disposable income, I'm sure I'd look at more expensive units. Being that I do not, I'm glad that the HT industry has begun to give us entry and mid level guys, gear that performs extremely well at it's price points.

Funny thing is (using your reference to microdisplays), at the price of these projectors, I could buy bulbs for years on end, have a great picture the size of a wall, and never reach the cost of the high end units.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"