Panasonic TH-42PA20U -- worth waiting for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palmetto
    • Nov 2003

Panasonic TH-42PA20U -- worth waiting for?

a plasma for my #3 viewing /listening room, with only DirecTV viewing (and maybe a DVD player added in the future), and another one for the my #2 space, the bedroom, which is a more serious viewing space for DirecTV and DVD playback.

i decided on the panasonic 42" EDTV because it has good specs (inc. high contrast as i have a lot of light in my home) and a good reputation. it also has not so great built-in speakers for when i did not want to go thru the a/v receiver. my wife likes that. i can buy it for a great price, too -- $3350 -- from an authorized dealer.

problem: seems like it is on a VERY serious back-order. and, after waiting for a year, i am about to move into a new house and i want all the installatiions to be done with.

so, if not the panasonic TH-42PA20U, what other plasma in the same price range? i had previously comsidered the samsung SPN4235, now available for $3300 at a local circuit city.

we can live without the built-in speakers, as it probably would have been a hassle to turn them on and off when alternating with output thru my receivers (denon 1804 andn sony DA100ES). and i know the sound thru the built-ins is really "basic."

help, someone! thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

so, if not the panasonic TH-42PA20U, what other plasma in the same price range? i had previously comsidered the samsung SPN4235, now available for $3300 at a local circuit city.
    Plasma's pretty far from my area of "expertise" (mostly cus I don't like them as much as other technologies, but that's my hang-up...lol) but I'll do my best here.

I've heard good things about Pioneer, Samsung, NEC and Panasonic models. The best of the best is apparently Fujitsu plasmas but I believe their prices reflect that... :roll: So hopefully you've given those brands' models a fair shake. If you feel the Panasonic is still the best one for your budget then I say stick to your guns and wait it out as you'll always be saying "what if" otherwise. Besides from what I hear most quality plasma sets are back ordered do to demand/manufacturing capabilities. So it's likely that a comparable set will have the same problem anyway...

we can live without the built-in speakers, as it probably would have been a hassle to turn them on and off when alternating with output thru my receivers (denon 1804 andn sony DA100ES). and i know the sound thru the built-ins is really "basic."
    There are some companies that have developed "stylish" speakers that attach to the screen for sets that don't have built in speakers. So I'd say no matter which set you get this isn't really a concern.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"