X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Samsung PN60F5300 VS Panasonic TC-P60S60

Need some input on possible TV upgrade for this summer.

Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!

Picture Quality Rating: 8.8/10
    The Samsung PN60F5300 is a value plasma TV with excellent picture quality for the price. Samsung plasma TVs have one of my favorite picture renditions among all TVs today. I like the color space even more than Panasonic plasmas once calibrated. It's important to note that this one has a few picture quality differences than the top tier F8500 plasma. Screen reflections and picture brightness are the two downsides in picture quality on the F5300. There is not as much light flow-through as the top models on the market. The screen also doesn't get as bright, which is a typical problem with plasma displays. Those two things combined make it a tough sell for a bright room. In a controlled lighting environment, the F5300's full HD picture quality is excellent.

Black Levels and Contrast
    Contrast is another strong point on Samsung's bottom of the line plasma. For a budget priced model the contrast performance on the F5300 is very impressive.

Color Reproduction
    The PN60F5300's colors look extremely realistic and fresh thanks to the plasma display. The going trend seen in many LCD/LEDs as of late is to bump the color saturation to high levels. That's not the case here. The high points are in warm colors and flesh tones. Samsung's plasma televisions deliver colors that are accurate and true to life and the F5300 carries through on this positive strength. It is important to calibrate the settings correctly to get the optimum picture performance out of this TV. A Warm1 Color Tone setting really helps to balance colors as Standard is too cool and Warm2 introduces a great deal of green coloration.
    or

Picture Quality Rating: 8.6/10
    The TCP60S60 has a full 1080p display for showing HD content at a great price. This is a great addition to the lineup considering that Panasonic's non-3D full HD plasma last year was on the bottom of the list. Black levels and color reproduction are strong points. In a controlled light environment the S60 provides a very strong picture quality for any price.

Video processing up-conversion from standard definition sources is strong, but not as good as the step-up ST60 in the 60Hz mode. There is apparent judder, but nothing out of the ordinary. There is no de-judder mode (Motion Smoother) on the S60 to smooth out the judder, but these de-judder technologies usually cause more harm than good by eliminating too much background blur.

Black Level and Contrast
    The TC-P60S60 drops the Infinite Black Pro panel of the ST60 series that resides above it in the lineup. Black levels and contrast suffer slightly as a direct result, but are still stout. Even though they are not as strong, they should still be considered excellent when compared to budget models. Dark shadow detail is a particular strong point that we noticed when viewing the set.
    Picture quality (for the money) is my biggest priority. The Samsung seems to have a slight edge in colour reproduction/calibration flexibility, the Panny in black levels/shadow detail. The Panny also ads some unneeded (for me) "smart" functionality. Otherwise the two seem to be pretty comparable including prices (just under $1k in Canada currently).

So any thoughts, preferences, input etc on which you'd get?
    Jason
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I would go with the Samsung. I've never been a big fan of Panasonic TV's. I think the best picture is still coming out of Sony sets......and Samsung is a close, if not equal second.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Sony sets have been sub par imo. And for Plasma's Panasonic has always been over Samsung.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hdale85
        Sony sets have been sub par imo. And for Plasma's Panasonic has always been over Samsung.
        I'd say that was true a few years back but Samsung's have caught up a lot in the last few years. As you can see by those reviews it actually scored slightly higher (though largely a wash) in the PQ score. It's evidently got better/more accurate colour than the comparable Panny if slightly less inky blacks/shadow detail. It's far from a landslide for either set.

Hence my dithering on which to get.

As for Sony, they don't do plasma...so they're not even in the discussion.
        Jason

Comment

• kmak
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2002

Pick-up a used Pioneer Kuro or Elite...... It wouldn't hurt to look on CAM.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Hard time spending large $$ on years old, used displays without any warranty...even if they are stunning. Appreciate the input though :T
            Jason

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

I saw a 60 inch Samsung Plasma for $1041.00 today in today's newspaper at 'The Brick'. The set has a 600Hz refresh rate which will destroy any of the many 120Hz LED sets motion wise.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

NICE! So glad to see the higher refresh rates. They're going to exceed what the human eye is capable of, but the higher the rate, the higher definition that sets are going to be able to show for objects in motion.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                  NICE! So glad to see the higher refresh rates. They're going to exceed what the human eye is capable of, but the higher the rate, the higher definition that sets are going to be able to show for objects in motion.
                  Trust me that what Chris says is true. I'm a tennis player and I was watching the Australian Open on someone's LED 120Hz set and the tennis ball 'blur' was clearly visible and noticeable. My older RPTV does a better job than that unit did. I also found the colors too 'poppy' and told the owner that the set was setup 'too hot'. Some people like it that way however.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well the Samsung is currently on sale for $200 off at $797! I haven't seen it that cheap even in the US! Might be picking it up this evening!

Lowest Prices Guaranteed! 15% Price Beat - Online, Instore, Any price, Anywhere. Visions Electronics is dedicated to being recognized as the Best Name in Electronics in Canada by you, our Valued Customer.
                    Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

I just checked costco.ca and they have the 50" for $750 so for the 60" going for $797 is a pretty good price.
                      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Yes it is! Cheapest I think I've seen it otherwise, was around $850 in the US. Tough to say no to that price...also doubt it gets much cheaper.
                        Jason

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well we have a new baby at home!:P

I've done all my initial settings based on this information:

I'll let the set break in a couple weeks and see if it needs any tweaking from there but initial impressions are pretty good to my bleary eyes at 11:30 last night :lol: SOOOO much detail compared to my old RPTV and the colour and shadow detail looked pretty dang good. Black levels were a touch higher and it lacks the "fluidity" of the old CRT's but nothing world ending. The extra 9" is pretty nice too (that's what she said).
                          Last edited by aud19; 20 March 2014, 15:06 Thursday.
                          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Sweet, dude. Banana worthy! :banana:
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by aud19
                              Well we have a new baby at home!:P

I've done all my initial settings based on this information:

I'll let the set break in a couple weeks and see if it needs any tweaking from there but initial impressions are pretty good to my bleary eyes at 11:30 last night :lol: SOOOO much detail compared to my old RPTV and the colour and shadow detail looked pretty dang good. Black levels were a touch higher and it lacks the "fluidity" of the old CRT's but nothing world ending. The extra 9" is pretty nice too (that's what she said).
                              Every inch matters when buying a new TV. I always tell everybody to buy the biggest set they can afford. I'm sure with proper adjustment you can get excellent black levels with a Plasma.

I'm looking forward to your final review of this set!!. Please be detailed in your review....picture....remote.....interface......fin al adjustments made in the menu.......etc....etc....

Comment

• Dmantis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2004

I prefer the Panasonic Plasma's over anything made today. Samsung Plasma TV's are pretty nice but IMO still have that goofy fake 3d like look to them. I don't like the motion on them either but do like the Samsung Plasma over the LED models.

The Sony LED models are very nice and I think are one of the best at LED. I'd take a Sony LED over the Samsung LED Models.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Fake 3D? :scratchhead: After watching some stuff this weekend I'll say that with high quality source material the sets quite good shadow detail and pretty good black levels that the picture can have a very nice "depth" to it.

It didn't look like "fake 3D" though, just good presentation....thought that's what we're were shooting for? :lol:
                                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"