X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjgeorge
    • May 2005

Plasma Question

This is a plasma burn-in question. I know that most people say that modern plasma sets have overcome the burn-in problem, but does this require that the sets always use the justify modes that stretch the image to fill the screen?

I have seen some really good prices on Panasonic plasmas for black Friday, but I dislike watching images in justify modes. I prefer to watch things in their original aspect ratio, and was wondering if this would be a problem with plasmas?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

First and foremost if you buy a plasma get it out of "torch" mode and calibrate it. This will go a long, LONG way towards preventing any image retention.

Second, most (including Panny's) have pixel orbiting which also helps with this. Not a bad idea to have on though it helps more with things like video games than letter/pillar boxes.

Third, for the first month or so just do your best to not watch vast amounts, all in a row of programming that has any stationary imagery (pillar/letter boxes, video game life meters, stock/sports score bars etc) until the set is broken in. This doesn't mean you can't watch any, just don't watch like 8-10 hours straight of 4:3 material. Watch a couple hours, then some HD etc.

Fourth, if you do get ANY image retention try and wipe it as soon as possible with say a full whit field.
    Jason

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

After playing video games for several hours I get some retention on my Panny, but running the sweep clears it right up. 4:3 material can leave some retention as well, but as soon as I switch to fullscreen stuff, it's unnoticeable and fullscreen material will wipe anything left behind. I'll second aud19's rec to do a proper calibration.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• mjgeorge
        • May 2005

Thanks for the input!

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Yeah, I get some IR on my three-year-old Panny but I have no permanent burn-in. I don't game however, as far as TV viewing, I don't take any extreme measures/precautions.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

We have a Vizio plasma in the bedroom. My wife prefers to watch tv in there (which is fine by me :B ). She watches CNN as well as ESPN all the time.

Like other's have stated, yes, there is some IR but, no burn-in. And the IR is only slighlty visible when the TV is turned off. As soon as a new image is on the screen, it's gone.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"