X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Bye Bye Panasonic Plasmas

Looks like Panasonic is following Pioneers footsteps from years ago. Unfortunately Panasonic is ending plasma display manufacturing. See article...

Even though Panasonic denied it back in April, it appears an earlier rumor of the company halting its plasma TV line might turn out to be true after all. According to Japanese business outlet Nikkei, the electronics firm hopes to get out of the plasma biz much sooner than initially thought. Indeed, Panasonic has reportedly already discontinued the development of new plasma TVs and hopes to stop production by the end of fiscal 2013 which is around March of next year. Sales will then continue until inventory runs out. The paper states that Panasonic has suffered losses exceeding 750 billion yen through fiscal 2012 thanks to the waning product line and is in talks to transfer tenancy rights or sell off its remaining plasma factory.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Bummer. I like my 50" Panny plasmy. Guess I'll have to hope it never dies.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Kevin P
      Bummer. I like my 50" Panny plasmy. Guess I'll have to hope it never dies.
      I like my Panny 50" Plasma too. it was easily the best of the popular brands when I bought it 18 months ago. Bummer indeed.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

My first & only flat panel, a 42" Panasonic Plasma has been performing much to my satisfaction for many years.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Sad if it turns out true. Hopefully this means they've made serious headway in to affordable OLED production instead...?
          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I guess it just got too expensive to fly back and forth to the sun all the time and harvest that plasma.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well I guess my next TV will likely be a Samsung then...
              Jason

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

In all honestly I hate these things. I really do. Make the best TV technology and then stop. Why? Because most Americans want everything for nothing. Well there you go , you now can have crappy LED Tv's.
                What a great world we live in. While others are out purchasing LED Tv's because everyone thinks they are so great with their cartoon looking video, I'll be home watching my ever loved Pioneer Elite 60 inch KURO. I hope it never goes bad, maybe I'll be buried with it.

Side note I have Sold and Installed a 65 inch ZT Panasonic and it was incredible. It really shows the quality of what video is supposed to look like. Such a beautiful picture.

I'm gonna have to hope that the new 4k sets are everything they are supposed to be. Really think about it, When you own a set like a Kuro , where do you go when it fails? The ZT to me looked like a nice replacement , larger screen in 5 more inches and lower cost. Win win IMO but no they are going to stop making them, Awesome.

Sorry but this just angers me.

Comment

• BWLover
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Dmantis
                  In all honestly I hate these things. I really do. Make the best TV technology and then stop. Why? Because most Americans want everything for nothing. Well there you go , you now can have crappy LED Tv's.
                  What a great world we live in. While others are out purchasing LED Tv's because everyone thinks they are so great with their cartoon looking video, I'll be home watching my ever loved Pioneer Elite 60 inch KURO. I hope it never goes bad, maybe I'll be buried with it.

Side note I have Sold and Installed a 65 inch ZT Panasonic and it was incredible. It really shows the quality of what video is supposed to look like. Such a beautiful picture.

I'm gonna have to hope that the new 4k sets are everything they are supposed to be. Really think about it, When you own a set like a Kuro , where do you go when it fails? The ZT to me looked like a nice replacement , larger screen in 5 more inches and lower cost. Win win IMO but no they are going to stop making them, Awesome.

I COMPLETELY AGREE! I am so choked about this. I have a Pioneer plasma, albeit not a KURO, a dream tv of mine. I was going to buy a top end Panasonic one day(once they beat KURO lol). But ya, people fall for that over the top cartoon look of shit tv's these days. Recently I got into an argument with the Internet installer over the fact that plasma is best. It's the closest thing to real life in my opinion. And he gets all defensive of LED/LCD and says plasma just looks dull. Well YA, when what your looking at is NOT correct picture, and all blown way out of proportion. I don't think I will ever be comfortable buying an LED/LCD TV. Just like I don't think ill ever deviate from class AB amps to class D. It just doesn't feel right. God, I sound like an 80 year old man set in his ways haha. And I'm 26. Anyway, this news BLOWS!

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
                  Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                  Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                  Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                  Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                  Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                  Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                  Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                  Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                  Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                  Playstation 3
                  Shaw HD PVR
                  Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Just pray that Samsung keeps making plasmas for a while and that they don't stop innovating or lowering quality due to a lack of competition.
                    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

LED TV's have really come a long ways though....they really aren't that bad. Plasma's are insanely costly to produce. I would venture a guess that a good portion of what people have been buying over the past few years has been rebadged old stock from the big plasma craze when flat panels first became popular.

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                        Just pray that Samsung keeps making plasmas for a while and that they don't stop innovating or lowering quality due to a lack of competition.
                        Samsung Plasmas are nice but they have some of that Cartoon look to them. I believe it's in the video processing Samsung developed. It looks a lot like their LED Tv's but without all that motion blur. I would have to fully calibrate one to see if I could even consider owning one.
                        I wonder if and when my Kuro goes down for the count IF it can be completely overhauled back to factory brand new Spec?

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                          LED TV's have really come a long ways though....they really aren't that bad. Plasma's are insanely costly to produce. I would venture a guess that a good portion of what people have been buying over the past few years has been rebadged old stock from the big plasma craze when flat panels first became popular.
                          I think thats the complete issue in itself. No one is willing to pay for top quality anymore. I'm not willing to pay for a substitute.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Sounds like the 'Bose' effect......:W
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin P
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                              Sounds like the 'Bose' effect......:W
                              Except that with Bose you pay a premium price for crap.

So, who still makes plasmas now? Just Samsung?

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

Right now I have a Sony LCOS set that I love. Awhile ago though, my wife came home with a LG plasma set that her boss gave her and I must admit, I was immediately taken by the picture......the color depth, contrast and saturation (it was a smaller set however). However, I have also seen some LED sets that are very impressive as well. Like CRT technology did, Plasma's are going the way of the dodo!. Personally from what I've seen, I think a properly adjusted LED set could produce an excellent picture.
                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Viewing angle is something plasma does WAAAYYYY better than any LCD TV (LED light source or not) and that is a major concern for our living room. At present, the living room has an SD TV (a ten year old Sony CRT with a 16x9 "cheat" feature that provides us with a small but remarkably nice picture for an SD TV). We have no immediate plans to replace it (it works fine and my wife and kids, who watch it more than I do, don't really care about HD image quality) but on the day it needs replacing, I was planning to go with a plasma as there are seats from which we can watch the TV now from a very wide angle and see the picture just as well as if dead centre--that is NOT the case with any non-plasma TV currently on the market.

I won't rush to buy a replacement before it's needed, but I will be highly disappointed if there isn't something that at least equals current plasmas in off-centre viewing when the time comes. Even the best plasmas are not quite as good (at least none that I've seen) as our trusty CRT for off-centre viewing.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                                    Viewing angle is something plasma does WAAAYYYY better than any LCD TV (LED light source or not) and that is a major concern for our living room. At present, the living room has an SD TV (a ten year old Sony CRT with a 16x9 "cheat" feature that provides us with a small but remarkably nice picture for an SD TV). We have no immediate plans to replace it (it works fine and my wife and kids, who watch it more than I do, don't really care about HD image quality) but on the day it needs replacing, I was planning to go with a plasma as there are seats from which we can watch the TV now from a very wide angle and see the picture just as well as if dead centre--that is NOT the case with any non-plasma TV currently on the market.

I won't rush to buy a replacement before it's needed, but I will be highly disappointed if there isn't something that at least equals current plasmas in off-centre viewing when the time comes. Even the best plasmas are not quite as good (at least none that I've seen) as our trusty CRT for off-centre viewing.
                                    I have a similar problem. Our kitchen overlooks our sunken family/theatre room so we frequently watch off axis (from above) as well.
                                    Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

This news is bumming me out, too- I have a 50" Panny and after taking it over to GF's one weekend didn't have to talk her into getting one, too.

Good thing I have a really low hours NEC10PG... Off axis LCD behavior just isn't acceptable unless someone starts making IPS panel TV's.
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                        This news is bumming me out, too- I have a 50" Panny and after taking it over to GF's one weekend didn't have to talk her into getting one, too.

Good thing I have a really low hours NEC10PG... Off axis LCD behavior just isn't acceptable unless someone starts making IPS panel TV's.
                                        I think Panasonic and LG make IPS panels FWIW Jon (there may be others as well...maybe Samsung).
                                        Jason

Comment

• Dmantis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jun 2004

I guess we will have to see how this all works out. I'm not looking forward to it. I just don't think any LED TV's are worth any of my money. The Sharp Elite was pretty nice but I wouldn't take one over my Kuro. Maybe OLED will be awesome as I have yet to sit down and really see one go.

I'm also not very happy with the world right now with all the expectancy of lower quality. Started with music and audio then moved right into video. I almost want to go back to the days of full analog where real was real. Warm inviting , clear and natural sound and picture.

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

This is an historically observable effect of the "democratization" of goods and services. Airline travel, once the preserve of the well-off, was a luxurious way to travel--even in the economy class. Today we have Southwest Airlines and Ryanair. They have made air travel far more accessible to the general population, but at the cost of quality of experience (even non-budget airlines have cut back in order to keep their price differential from becoming too great with the budget lines). A/V gear has gone through the same thing. So has dining out (there was a time when the bulk of restaurants were places where people could get better, rather than worse, quality food than at home). So has...I could go on.

Of course, not everything is like this (even the worst new car today is qualitatively leaps and bounds superior to just about anything--outside a few exceptions--from 30 years ago, even 15, when compared to the same type of car). But there are more examples than might seem apparent.

As enthusiasts, we lament the loss of access to quality gear, but the bulk of consumers are more than happy with their ability to enjoy something far more sophisticated than they thought possible not too long ago and are (likely blissfully) unaware of the fact that quality at the top end has been lost to the marginal costs of producing such gear for a tiny slice of the market. And the manufacturers are not in business to provide cutting edge tech, they're in business to make money for their owners (private or shareholders). And so it goes.

I share your desire for accessibility to the best tech quality available, but unlike the "me" from seven or eight years ago and earlier, I've become far less bothered by such things. The balance between the gear quality and the content to which it gives me access has slowly been tipping in favour of the latter at the expense of caring overly much for the former. Don't get me wrong. I still seek out the best gear I can afford that I can also find. I simply spend less time than I used to worrying about whether I could have gotten something even better. YMMV

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Warm inviting , clear and natural sound and picture.
                                              Grab one of these, it might need to be restored, but I'll bet even today it'll outlast today's cheaply built digital sets:

This was my maternal grandparent's first TV from 1948. My siblings and I used to listen to the radio on it when we were there (the TV didn't work anymore). I wish I had asked for it after they passed away, I probably could have gotten it fully working again.

Comment

• maseline_98
                                                • Apr 2005

This is terrible news. I'm still rocking my sxrd from '06, but have been thinking it's time to retire it when the next bulb goes out. All of my friends have these crappy led tvs and all I keep hearing about how bright the picture looks...THEY ALL HAVE THE SOAP OPERA EFFECT!!!...I was going to buy a new set a few years ago, but I can't get imagine spending money on a TV that looks like your are in a funhouse. There is nothing worst than watching a game to see 15 footballs being thrown down field at one time. I don't want to be rude to my friends when they dropped so much money on crap because some little pimpled kid at best buy told them, "this is best TV for the price". I have bought 3 50-panny plasmas from costco($499/ea) within the last year. One for my bedroom, One for my game room and gave my parents one for last year's xmas, They do have a problem with reflections, but with light controlled areas,they look way better than those $1500+ leds. I need a step up model for my living room. Was thinking the 65ST60, but probably not quite ready to buy just yet. The news with panny stopping production might mean that we will have to bite the bullet a year earlier than anticipated.

Are there any of other sets out there that do not have soap opera effect. I've read that you shut features off that are causing it, but don't think I would drop that kinda cash to wait and find out.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                                Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by maseline_98
                                                  Are there any of other sets out there that do not have soap opera effect. I've read that you shut features off that are causing it, but don't think I would drop that kinda cash to wait and find out.
                                                  All LCD (and LED-lit LCD's) as far as I know have defeat-able motion interpolation that causes the soap opera effect you're referring to. It's not something inherent to LCD's it's there to help cover LCD's inherent issues with fast motion. As I said, it IS defeat-able but then you're left with LCD's motion issues.

Samsung as far as I know still currently plans to manufacture pretty decent quality plasmas FWIW as an option. Also sounds like Panny will still have stock available for another year or two.
                                                  Jason

Comment

• maseline_98
                                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                                    All LCD (and LED-lit LCD's) as far as I know have defeat-able motion interpolation that causes the soap opera effect you're referring to. It's not something inherent to LCD's it's there to help cover LCD's inherent issues with fast motion. As I said, it IS defeat-able but then you're left with LCD's motion issues.

Samsung as far as I know still currently plans to manufacture pretty decent quality plasmas FWIW as an option. Also sounds like Panny will still have stock available for another year or two.
                                                    Well...I got the WAF as long as she can get new appliances on Black Friday....

Now the question is what set to buy? She approved the TC-P65VT60 for $2400 via Best Buy, but I might be able to talk her into the TC-P65ZT60.

I mainly watch Sporting Events(Baseball, Football, Hockey). Blurays(of course) and a lot of daytime watching. My living is semi-light controlled.

EDIT: I do a little gaming, but not a whole lot. I hear Imagine Retention is problem while gaming...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                                    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

_____________________________
                                                    “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Einstein

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

Slow sales is probably what really prompted them to bow out. Keeping that production going for an evaporating market is impossible. I bought a Plasma last time around, though a Samsung, and I have LOVED it. I also have a older 720P Sony plasma in my bedroom that has such a nice film like presentation. It's a beautiful picture even if 720p. It is a smaller picture, 32". Rare for Plasma. I will use that until it dies. I don't watch it very much, so hopefully that will be a long time.

I hope Samsung keeps in the biz. We need the plasma option folks! I'm not a big LCD/LED fan, not so much!
                                                      Doug
                                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"