X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedStep
    • Sep 2002

TV Basics

Can we talk TV...I did a search and found everyone talking another language. I was wanting to know about HDTV, RPTV, Plasmas. What should one look for when in the market??? What are some basics I should familarize myself with??? What are some specs???
    If this is to lame a question delete it...

RedStep
    We are truly a product of the decisions we make
    RedStep
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

There's no such thing as a lame question.

When shopping for a TV you need to ask yourself a few questions:
    • How big a screen do you want?
    • What is your budget?
    • What will fit in your room?
    • What are you going to watch on it? (DVD? Cable? Satellite? HDTV?)
    • Are you a critical viewer (e.g. HT movie enthusiast) or a more casual cable TV viewer?
    Since you're asking about RPTV and plasmas you're probably looking at 16:9 aspect (widescreen) displays in the 40-60" size range, am I correct?

RPTV (which stands for Rear Projection Television) utilizes a projection system inside a box with a mirror and a screen. Most RPTVs use CRT technology, with separate tubes for red, green, and blue, which are aligned to produce a full-color image on the screen. Some RPTVs use LCD or DLP technology--these use a high intensity bulb and a digital panel to generate the image, which is projected onto the screen. RPTVs tend to be bulky; most are over 20 inches in depth, which can be a limiting factor in certain rooms. RPTV is the cheapest way to get into a "big screen" (more than 36-40" diagonal), with a lot of sets ringing in at under $2000 now.

Plasma sets have a flat screen with a fixed array of pixels (color dots) that form the image. The main advantage of plasma is the thin profile, typically 4 inches in depth, meaning a plasma screen can be hung on a wall. The big drawback of plasma is the cost. Cheap 32-inch plasmas run around $3000 or so, and the larger, higher-resolution displays can run over $10,000. Also, some of the cheaper plasmas may not have sufficient resolution (number of pixels) to display HDTV at full resolution.

Other technologies to consider are direct-view CRT and front projection. Direct-view CRT is what your typical television set uses. Typically these max out at 36" diagonal, though Sony has an expensive, and very heavy 40" Wega direct-view. Front projection (FP or FPTV) uses a separate projector and screen, and is commonly used in home theaters to get an image size of 80-120 inches or more. FP is most suitable in a room that can be made completely, or almost completely, dark.

If you have any other questions, feel free to respond. But if you could ask yourself the questions I posted at the beginning, it will help you in deciding what kind of display is best suited for your needs and budget.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• RedStep
      • Sep 2002

Thx KP, Great Post...
      I have a nice console w/limited space for my TV (36"max) So there ya go, no big screen, no RPTV. I do wonder about HDTV, aren't some HDTV and some HDTV compatable???
      I want the best 36" direct view CRT(tube???) I can get HDTV...going to watch DVD's & digital from satellite...critical viewer, and I don't want to have to replace it in a few years.

RedStep
      RedStep

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Sounds like you would be happy with a 36" Sony Wega HDTV-ready set, if it fits in your console.

Here's a couple of 36" HDTV-ready flat-screen direct view TVs: Sony KV-36HS510 Wega, Toshiba 36HF73

If you want a 34" widescreen, here's the Sony KV-34XBR910 Wega, or the Toshiba 34HF83. There are countless others I imagine, I just found these on Crutchfield.com.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Cam McFarland
          • Jul 2004

What about cable HDTV converter suggestions, anyone??

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Usually you're at the mercy of the cable company in that situation Cam. Like they used to say, you can have any colour as long as it's black :lol:

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Cam McFarland
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by aud19
              Usually you're at the mercy of the cable company in that situation Cam. Like they used to say, you can have any colour as long as it's black :lol:

Jason
              Are we talking about the same thing??

I am refering to the aftermarket box for
              an HD ready TV, in order to get the High def
              audio & video.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

You're talking about an OTA Tuner. Over The Air....

Some now come with a slot for the new cable cards, but not all cable vendors support this yet.

OTA means you need an antenna, depending on where you are, out doors may be required. Now that the FCC and cable companies have agreed on standards, it will be much easier to get HD cable service in the future- at least in theory.

Note, an OTA tuner won't usually work with cable, because they use different modulation techniques. If you do need to work with your cable vendor, these days they usually supply their own box which will output DVI or component.

~Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Cam McFarland
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks Jon,

I have been trying to figure that stuff out.... :??

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Yes sorry, you asked for cable HDTV box solutions so I assumed you meant HDTV via your cable provider, not OTA. Some companies have 1-2 boxes to choose from (one might have PVR capabilities etc) but other than that your pretty much stuck with what they offer. I believe Motorola supplies most companies equipment.

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

Some companies have 1-2 boxes to choose from (one might have PVR capabilities etc) but other than that your pretty much stuck with what they offer. I believe Motorola supplies most companies equipment
                      Cable card is fixing this. Motorola, Scientific Atlanta are the 2 big ones out there for cable boxes.

Comment

• Cam McFarland
                        • Jul 2004

thanks guys.........

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well "fixing" might be a bit of a stretch. At this point cable cards won't work for PPV or any other on demand service and that's on the limited amount of hardware that even supports cable cards. It's very promising but it's also something that's very much in it's infancy still.

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"