X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

VGA cable, S-Video or Component

I was wondering which would offer the best connection from a laptop to a projector. I can either use a S-Video or a VGA cable. The projector is a fairly new portable that supports 800x600. My gut says use the VGA cable.

Though the laptop doesn't support a component connection, but in comparison, would a component connection be better than VGA?

I'm thinking of projecting DVD's onto a blank wall or even onto a white bedsheet. I know this is probably not the best way to view movies, but that's all I have available.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Paul,

VGA is the way to go, here's why. Both S-Video and component video separate the luminance from the color signals. In the case of component video, the chroma bandwidth is one half the luminance bandwidth. That means that for a dvd signal which theoretically has 480 to 500 lines of resolution, the chroma resolution is 1/2. Obviously, RGB is better, but if you're playing back DVD, since that is stored in component format, you probably won't see any significant difference. For the desktop, though, that's another matter.

Now, if you think that's a raw deal with component, just remember that the chroma bandwidth on an NTSC signal, such as S-Video, is about 1/5th the luminance bandwidth.

These choices were made years ago, based on studies showing the human eye having much greater apparent sensitivity to black and white resolution. Yes, it's true, in an absolute sense, relative to the upper limits of the eye- and you can make an enjoyable picture with that reduced color resolution. But one of the reasons HDTV is so "wow" is the high color resolution- 960 lines- which, is reproduced well on the old Sony 400Q LCD projector (1068X480 panels), and one reason it looks so good with HD material.

Happy viewing, Paul.

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jon,

You never fail to educate me! I didn't know how much we were not seeing.

Sorry Paul, I have no clue. However, we are fortunate to have people like Jon to keep us straight!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Ahhh, it's nice to hear someone mention my favorite projector... the Sony VPL400. The picture I get still amazes me everytime I fire up and pop a dvd in the player.To date I have no HDTV source so I haven't yet been able to see how the 400 looks in that particular area.
        Oh,yeah, Jon is an absolute wealth of information.Glad he is with us.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Great response Jon. I was going to say that very thing. JK. He's miles ahead of me in video display characteristics. But I do know how to make a mean cable, lol.

Yes, we are very lucky to have Jon with us! He's one of the reasons HTGuide is the best kept secret on the web. A shame really.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Thanks for the info Jon.

Will let you all know how it turns out.
            Paul

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Yup -- Jon "nailed it" regarding the choice of cable. (Really nice summary of the differences.)

I do not have high def sources in my own system, myself, so I cannot yet enjoy HD via my VPL-W400Q, but a friend who had the same model projector and is really into HD in a big way gave me a demo with a variety of broadcast sources and the results were simply sensational. Something to look forward to down the road...

... way down the road for me since I watch so little TV these days and have had other priorities for my HT dollars (such as a new pre/pro, in case anyone has missed the news on that one). :>) But if any of you VPL-W400Q owners are an adventuresome early adoptor and get an HDTV decoder, you will be very pleased with the results!

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"