Chroma Bug on Hughes E86 satellite receiver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Chroma Bug on Hughes E86 satellite receiver?

I bought a Hughes E86 HDTV Satellite Receiver from Good Guys a few weeks ago. They're having a sale on them for $399, brought down even further to $299 if you buy any HDTV.

So far the set has been great. Others have reported local channel reception being dropped by these units, but I haven't had any problem. (yet)

One thing I've noticed, though. With bright red items on screen, I've occasionally seen jutter as the items move and/or artifacting, much like the chroma bug phenomenon with DVD players. I've been thinking about this, and have doen some troubleshooting to see what the problem could be. here's what I've tried:

1. I bought a plasma TV at the same time, so I've checked other input sources to see if it could be the plasma. I haven't seen any chroma type things with DVD or VCR, so I really don't think this is it.

2. The E86 model can output either 720p/1080i through component video, or 480i through composite/S-video. I've tried both, but still see the same issues through the SD composite/S-video as I do HD component. So I don't think it's an issue of scaling/conversion. (although I think I've only seen it with non-HD satellite channels FWIW)

3. I've definitely seen the chroma thing with non-film material, like the TLC channel. I can't remember if I've seen it with movie material or not. This is what confuses me. Isn't the chroma bug with DVD players caused by improper frame conversion of film material? If so, in theory, satellite receivers could have similar issues with film material, but non-film material like television shows shouldn't have it.

Any ideas of what's going on? This pops up very rarely, and seems confined to bright reds, so it's not like this ruins the player for me. I'm just wondering what the issue is.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"