X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerri
    • Jan 2005

Question: Projector widescreen stretching of HD-15 (VGA) sourced video

I have an Xbox with a VGA (HD-15) adaptor. I understand the Xbox's widescreen 480p mode to use 640x480 anamorphically compressed video, similar to the 720x480 anamophically compressed video from a DVD player. I want to be able to connect the Xbox to a projector using the VGA adaptor and have it display the video in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Since the source from a VGA cable and the, and computers normally display 4:3, and the pixel resolution is indeed 4:3 (640x480), is this normally impossible on a native 4:3 projector with "16:9 support"? If I connect it to a native 16:9 projector, will it be able to stretch the horizontal video to 16:9? Or will I have to use component cables to do this -- I assume that with component cables, the 4:3 pixel resolution will not matter since DVD pixel resolution is not 16:9, and I assume any projector with 16:9 support can display DVDs from a component cable in 16:9 format.

My understanding is that 16:9 support on any projector (4:3 or 16:9 native) means that it has a 16:9 mode that can always be set and always scales any input signal to 16:9 regardless of its original aspect ratio. However, I wanted to make sure I understand this correctly.

I understand that on a 4:3 projector, I will not be using the full vertical resolution offered by the projector when displaying a 16:9 feed. I also realize that HD-15 and component cables feed an analog video signal, so there are not "pixels" exactly in the signal.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"