X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Samsung vs Sony

I found this to be a very interesting read about these two companies and their future

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I don't own any Samsung products but I did, and still do own one or two Sony products and all I can say is if Samsung's quality control and customer service is better than Sony's, then they will indeed rule the market.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Neal_C
      • Feb 2003

Thanks for the link Andrew...it was very interesting.

I can say that I for one do not need S-O-N-Y branded on anything that I own.

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

They (Sony) make a couple of TVs I'd take over anything else the market.

They make a couple of damn good projectors at their price points.

They've just announced a revised form of LCD panel that will make LCD projectors more competitive in general.

I wouldn't count on them disappearing.

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

There's not doubt that Sony has the resources still to create some very good products, when it has the will to do so. But there clearly has been a lot of misteps and complacency on the part of Sony management- Samsung has made much greater inroads against Sony, for example, than AMD has made against Intel- it's obvious that there are factors in Samsung's management style which have helped foster the development of good quality products at very competitive prices, and led to substantial market growth.

Sony's not down for the count, but their market valuation reflects the price of complacency and misteps- it will be intresting to if Howard Stringer can lead them to success in overall consumer electornics the way he's improved Sony Entertainment's bottom line in the US. He has gained the confidence of Japanese mangement based on his bridge building and bottom line results.

Sony has a habit of sticking to it's proprietary guns (like ATRAC), believing, I think, that they're in the business of selling proprietary Sony technology to folks, not in the business of selling the best consumer electronics for the customer's appliation. This has burned them more than a few times. Some of those technologies I do like and support, like SACD.

But they've dropped the ball in a lot of areas where at one time they had dominance. The iPod versus Walkman thing is an example. Another might be, when's the last time you saw discussion or interest in a Sony HT Pre-Pro? In fact, when's the last time they introduced a new Pre-Pro? And just try to find info on the ES product line online anymore...

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Samsung to me, typically means product quality now.

I had problems with so many Sony products back 5-10 years ago that somewhere, the Sony brand lost it's mistique for me. it used to mean pure quality, a brand I could count on, even if the product wasn't the most commanding in the marketplace. It would always be consistent quality.

Now, the Sony name to me means the Sony comglomerate. Average to shoddy product quality, overall non-inventiveness, a product brand that lost it's mistique. Apparently, I am not alone. I do like their laptops ok. Some of their TVs. Beyond that I'd take Samsung in a heartbeat.

For the first time ever, an American will be running Sony. The Japanese seem to have lost all confidence in themselves to operate the company they built. Company value is the lowest it's ever been?

Will they be an "IBM" of the tech world, and bounce back with outstanding management and a great business plan? Perhaps... But they've a long way to go yet.

At the rate Samsung is investing, I wouldn't count on them backing off.

Sony I think needs to divest itself of extraneous business forces, Records, studios, and concentrate on what they've done best, electronics. Either that, or you go just the opposite way. But somewhere along the line, the company thought they could become all things to all people, and forgot to take care of business at the core where it was solid.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• gd
              • Jan 2003

Samsung can prevail as a bang-for-the-buck player, but only with flat-screen displays and their various non-HT core businesses... I sure don't think 'Samsung' when considering quality audio... but I'd have to consider a Sammie plasma.

Yes, Sony is a big, evil, mismanaged, shareholder-driven mega-corp... and it's desirable to throw stones at the big ugly giant, hoping to topple him down... but they do, on occasion, create a superior product... you gotta pay, but their top-of-the-line TVs -- plasma, CRT, RP or otherwise -- can still trump the best of the others... SACD will fade away due to Sony's own greed, but the format is extremely pleasing to listen to... I've got a Sony pre-amp from '88 -- built like a tank -- that I still use for video switching because it is far superior to the newer AV receivers that I tried to employ.

Not a Sony cheerleader... I doubt that I'll ever own another Sony product, but I can't dismiss them out of hand... and if Samsung comes up with that magic plasma at a magic price, I'll snatch it up.

But for much-more-important music listening, I'd make an effort to give that business to smaller American, Canadian or European manufacturers.
              greg (gd to you)
              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Sony made great stuff in the late 70's and 80's but IMO after that they've relied far too heavily on the name they built up and not enough on their products quality. Sure you can get quality stuff from them still but you end up paying through the nose, in most cases, just for their name. Personally I'd rather pay less for a similar quality set from Hitachi or Mitsubishi for example (in displays).
                Jason

Comment

• GregoriusM
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                  For the first time ever, an American will be running Sony.
                  That American would in fact be the Brit named "Sir" Howard Stringer. :B
                  Gregor

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Sony has a habit of sticking to it's proprietary guns (like ATRAC), believing, I think, that they're in the business of selling proprietary Sony technology to folks, not in the business of selling the best consumer electronics for the customer's appliation
                    I purposely avoided $ony's digital cameras because of their instance on those stupid Memory Sticks. For one reason or another....it just turns me off. ATRAC is another.

They still make a good product but their price isn't as justified anymore IMO.
                    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

Everyone of these giant manufacturers will always try to come out in front. No "one" manufacturer can be number 1 for ever and ever. Sony has always tried to be like that that but over the years they have learnt their lesson (slowly) like for instance the BETA machine and most recently SACD.

Now that consumers have more choices and with great pricing and good quality products to choose from they are taught that Sony is not all that. I also work in a A/V repair store and I see them coming in like crazy.
                      There was one comment that a customer made which made me laugh when he brought in a DVD player was 2 years old and wouldn't read disks anymore he said "How could this unit not work only after 2 years?" I said "Well, just like any machine things can break." he looked at me with a puzzled look and said "yeh, did you look at the name? this is a sony." :roll:

On the other hand just like car makers and others there are always strenghts and weaknesses. We'll pick and choose. :T
                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Frustrated
                        • Jan 2005

Samsung/RCA

I don't know if anyone of you has ever repaired a Samsung/RCA product.I have with great difficulty. Even when I use a schematic (if it's available), I'm usually ripping my hair out, because of the multiple grounds. If you ever owned one of their TVs. you definitely know what I'm talking about. These products are not built to last, and breakdown far too often. Zenith is another example of the same thing. As far as Sony is concerned, I agree with Jason. They rely too heavily on their name, and tend to be overpriced. From what I've repaired, Sony's consumer line uses cheap Sanyo parts with predictable results. Their pro or premium line is very good, but costs an arm and a leg.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"